my little place - ac/heat help?
New Reply
Subscribe
trock
4th January 2008
Old 4th January 2008
Lives for gear

my little place - ac/heat help?

with limited time and funds, and a growing family forcing me out of the much nicer accomodations upstairs. i was given the old one car garage for my studio.

the room is 10x18 with another loss of 4x8 for the entryway from outside.

the walls are framed and inso'd with R-19, and the drop ceiling has R30 above it.

the problem is only one vent in the ceiling from the main HVAC of the house and its not enough to keep it warm in the winter or cool in the summer with the gear on.

sooooo just curious about possibilites of a wall mount unit for heat and ac?? if there are such things? that can be thermostatically controlled, quiet and efficient?

its so small and already does have the one vent into there with some heat and ac coming in so i don't need alot of extra help.

thanks for the help
Attached Thumbnails
my little place - ac/heat help?-door-looking-back-into-room1.jpg   my little place - ac/heat help?-front-wall-looking-forward1.jpg   my little place - ac/heat help?-long-wall1.jpg  
4th January 2008
Old 4th January 2008
Gear maniac

Just curious...is it that the heat/air doesn't have enough force by the time it gets from the house or that it's cooled/warmed to where it doesn't do much good?
If it doesn't have the force, could you install some sort of inline fan in the ductwork? A little 4 inch might do the trick.
Just a thought....
4th January 2008
Old 4th January 2008
Lives for gear

Hey

thanks for the question, good one to. the force of air coming out is relatively strong but it doesn't fan out over the room very well. in that, around 6-8 inches from the vent i can't feel the air anymore and it just doesn't seem to heat the room well. so i am not sure if more force is necessary or not. but the inline thing is a good idea, i fogot about those and maybe thats all i need to push it out more.

the other issue, is the thermostat for the house is upstairs and this is downstairs but still in the house. however when it hits 68 or 70 upstairs it shuts down but the room is probably 15 or 20 degree's colder

i live in pittsburgh just to let you know where
4th January 2008
Old 4th January 2008
Gear maniac

hmmm...not sure about the temp difference dilemna.

I live in Nevada and it hit 25 below a couple of times this year. My room is out in my garage and I've been using one of those electric heaters that look like the old radiator style. It has oil in it that keeps radiating the heat after the thermostat shuts it off. Zero noise and works well. In the summer I just drip sweat all over everything and whine.

Maybe someone else will have some ideas.....

Peace mang............Kel
trock
4th January 2008
Old 4th January 2008
Lives for gear

i had one of those electric heaters to, one you can put water in to humidify the room some also, however i forgot that part a couple of times and my taylor 314 cracked!

i might get another one and just add water

but i am looking at these mini split systems to hang on the wall and see what how that might work
4th January 2008
Old 4th January 2008
Gear maniac

If you happen to find a small unit that'll do the trick, let me know, huh? AC in the summer would be great.

Thanks much mang.........
trock
4th January 2008
Old 4th January 2008
Lives for gear

4th January 2008
Old 4th January 2008
Gear maniac

Cool...(no pun intended)

Thanks man!
5th January 2008
Old 5th January 2008
Gear nut

well if you go with the above post as a cooling option or something like it, just find a good quiet electric space heater. remember the old baseboard ones in the older apartments, and hotel/motels?

Wall Mounted Heaters

I used an in the wall unit with blower, when running probably would be too loud for a studio, but those old baseboard types were pretty quiet. just ambient heat.

S!
Jason
8th January 2008
Old 8th January 2008
Lives for gear

Do you have a return vent in the room? If not, then the positive pressure from the air entering the room has no where to go. So... it "stagnates" pretty much at the point of entry. Still, even with a return vent, having the thermostat upstairs it'll still be colder in the winter down there.

Mini-splits are pretty freakin' cool (no pun intended). They had them in all the hotel rooms in costa Rica (well most of the rooms) and we were very comfortable and on the lowest setting it was pretty quiet too. I don't know that I'd track acoustic guitar with one on... unless you want that sound. Usually these are pricey in the US though unless you can score a clearance deal or something. That link to the LG looks like a great price.

The space heaters Keldog talks about are awesome. We have one for supplemental heat in the Winter for the Live Room because our thermostat is in the Control Room (oops!). You could also install hydronic baseboard heat which operates on the same principal as the space heaters; oil filled, low surface temperature, quiet. However this would be much more expensive than purchasing one of those "radiator" space heaters. We are about to install some of those this year to replace the space heater because our live room is a bit too large for the one space heater. ::thinking to myself:: Maybe I should just buy another space heater...
8th January 2008
Old 8th January 2008
Lives for gear

HVAC is the most difficult part of the home studio equation. Mini-splits are cool, in theory, but the lack of fresh air typically makes them need a lot more work. Also, you're looking at the unit that sells for nearly a grand. Be sure to include nearly that much to have it professionally installed. You can't do these by yourself as they need to tie in to your electric and in most cases, to comply with building codes, have their own dedicated box installed. Just for fun, call around and see if you can get estimates in your area on installation of a mini-split...if they even know what you're talking about in the first place.

Fresh air in a sound proofed room is a lot of work and expensive. Check out the many threads over at John Slayers site, or in Rod's book. It can get crazy.

For my modest 16x20 room, I went with one of the free-standing units that does bring in a little fresh air. I live in Texas and it gets pretty hot in my room, but I also have a de-humidifier that runs all the time. With the moisture in the air under control, the room is livable. In the mild winters we have, the amount of drywall and insulation has the room where it never gets too cold in there.

It's a work in progress always as I'm always tweaking something.

m
8th January 2008
Old 8th January 2008
Lives for gear

That's where we got lucky. Out building is free standing, but on our property, and we located an heating/AC "roof top unit" outside the studio with the send and return ducts running up an outer wall and then into the attic. For fresh air, all we had to do was add a 6" spin-in to outer return duct and voila! - more fresh air than we really need.

Mini-splits do have configuration that include a fresh air intake but this will increase the cost and I don't *think* the LG on sale has that option. Might be worth reading the installation manual to see if it is available as an add on. Chetatkinsdiet is right though. If you don't know what you are doing, you will need to have someone install it for you.

As for our Winters, we live in Colorado at 8300' above sea level. Right now I have a foot of snow on the ground so even with double walls and MAJOR insulation it still gets cold in the live room. I wish we could have been able to afford a separate HVAC unit for each room but budgets dictate. We'll get it in the next build out!

chetatkinsdiet, I was born in Ft. Worth and raised in Hurst. I even lived at Greenville and 635 for about 6 months (great location). We left TX in 1996ish. I know all about Texas weather, brother!
9th January 2008
Old 9th January 2008
Lives for gear

they also have many 'heat-pump' style mini-splits... heal and cool..

i have seen new warrantied ones go for cheap on e-bay (one went for $400)
they dont look any where near as 'cool' as the LG art cool..

but it might save you some green

.. i just 'finished' a new studio build and have no heating/ac as of yet - a lil electric heater does ok for now... but mini-splits seem to be a good answer

gl
New Reply Submit Thread to Facebook Facebook  Submit Thread to Twitter Twitter  Submit Thread to LinkedIn LinkedIn  Submit Thread to Google+ Google+ 

Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search