I made a concept album!
Electric Sugar
15th March 2013
Old 15th March 2013
Lives for gear

I made a concept album!

That's right. I wrote and recorded a concept album. There are so many albums I love which tell stories, so I thought I'd do one myself.

This particular story involves a crazy scientist who builds a robot to love him and be his companion for life. Obviously it all goes to shit and she runs away.

It's recorded in a very lo-fi way, but with lots of bleeps and noise. I wanted to capture a lonely, claustrophobic atmosphere, full of broken dusty equipment. I used a lot of broken synths and speakers, telephones and a couple of old Grampian/Sony mics I got off Ebay for £1. They are older than I am.

I like to think of it as lo-fi sci-fi.

You can listen to it/download it on Bandcamp as individual tracks, here:
Broken Transistors/Faulty Receivers | Stephen James Buckley

Or you can stream/download as one single file (it all blends seamlessly) on Soundcloud here:

https://soundcloud.com/stephenjamesbuckley/broken-transistors-faulty

I was inspired by albums like Hospice by The Antlers, The Sophtware Slump by Grandaddy, and The Glow Pt 2 by The Microphones. They all have a theme running through them,both musically and narratively.

It's only 25 minutes long. I'd love to hear what people thought of it. Also, feel free to share your own pretentious concept albums.
15th March 2013
Old 15th March 2013
Lives for gear

Thumbs up!!!
15th March 2013
Old 15th March 2013
Lives for gear

Concept huh?

Thought my music was crazy, like myself!

This one is what I felt about some chapters of an old anime

Just one song, tho, it is not an album

I also have another one which is total electronic mayhem, the title is "Please mommy don't hurt me", guess what is it about, another one, "I've had it" which I did when my son really annoyed me, bah, maybe I'll post them later

Attached Files
15th March 2013
Old 15th March 2013
Lives for gear

No thanks. I have no interest in listening to it. Your plea sounds like advertising.
15th March 2013
Old 15th March 2013
Gear Head

Yes please. I'm very interested in new music and related "concepts", being as I'm a musician and all. Thanks.

Also, how did you get Bob Dylan to sing on your album?
Electric Sugar
15th March 2013
Old 15th March 2013
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by Frank_Case View Post
No thanks. I have no interest in listening to it. Your plea sounds like advertising.
It's not really a plea as such, just thought I'd share it. I'm not making any money off it or anything. If the thread bothers you (and anyone else) then by all means ask the moderators to remove it. I don't want to step on any toes here, I'm just sharing some music that I'm quite proud of.

Quote:
Originally Posted by DanKanUS View Post
Yes please. I'm very interested in new music and related "concepts", being as I'm a musician and all. Thanks.

Also, how did you get Bob Dylan to sing on your album?
You think I sound like Bob Dylan? I can't stand Dylan! I may never sing a note again after reading that!
15th March 2013
Old 15th March 2013
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by Electric Sugar View Post
It's not really a plea as such, just thought I'd share it. I'm not making any money off it or anything. If the thread bothers you (and anyone else) then by all means ask the moderators to remove it. I don't want to step on any toes here, I'm just sharing some music that I'm quite proud of.
FWIW, most people share their finished works on this forum using the "rough" demos "or "finished demos" folders where you are apt to get more comments.
15th March 2013
Old 15th March 2013
Lives for gear

Quote:
Come on man! Electric is just proud of his works!
Electric Sugar
16th March 2013
Old 16th March 2013
Lives for gear

Quote:
FWIW, most people share their finished works on this forum using the "rough" demos "or "finished demos" folders where you are apt to get more comments.
Yeah I just thought as it was an album rather than an individual song I'd make a thread for it.

If it's inappropriate then I'm sure it will sink to the bottom of the forum anyway due to lack of replies,so I wouldn't worry about it if I were you.
22nd March 2013
Old 22nd March 2013
Lives for gear

I really liked it! Kind of mesmerizing. Thanks for sharing. Well done!
Electric Sugar
22nd March 2013
Old 22nd March 2013
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by CassidyGT View Post
I really liked it! Kind of mesmerizing. Thanks for sharing. Well done!
Cool, thanks for taking time to listen and comment.
24th March 2013
Old 24th March 2013
Gear interested

Beautiful. DL'ed and added to my iTunes library.
Electric Sugar
24th March 2013
Old 24th March 2013
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by xsdance View Post
Beautiful. DL'ed and added to my iTunes library.
Sweet, thank you!
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search