how do you ovecome writer's block
New Reply
Subscribe
butterfan214
2nd December 2012
Old 2nd December 2012
Gear maniac

how do you ovecome writer's block

hi guys, i have always wanted to do rap music for many years, i have spend over $2000 on studio equipment and beats and every time i decide to write something i will just get writers block at the very beginning and cant never get pass the first two lines, i have giving up on trying to become a hip hop artist, but i always get the feelings that i always have a good shot but i cant overcome writers block

for those who get writers block, how do you overcome it,
2nd December 2012
Old 2nd December 2012
Gear maniac

take a break for few months,do something else or find someone who can write for you
"Comes a time when we have to watch our friends do the dalliance treads on the primrose path."-k3nnyt4n

http://soundcloud.com/kampon-tan/ptner-trance2012k-mixdown-sl
2nd December 2012
Old 2nd December 2012
Lives for gear

Rap is BY FAR the easiest stuff to write.

To get started, just put on someone else's music that has a rhythm and overall vibe to it that you find inspiring. Loop the section that would be a verse, chorus, or whatever you're doing first. Play it over and over until you feel a line or two pop out at you. You can replace it with your own stuff of similar vibe later... For now, just see if you can find something more interesting than a beat... something inspiring.

WRITE OUT on a blank sheet, the number of lines you will need to fill out that section. Number them. As those first couple lines come to you, ask yourself where they belong. Are they the opening lines to your story? The last couple lines? Somewhere in the middle? Figure it out and write them down in the appropriate spaces. Look at the blanks you have left to determine how many lines, how many syllables, how many rhymes, etc. need to be filled in here and there.

FOCUS on one blank area at a time and fill in what you know you have... like starting with the rhyming word and working backward until the other syllables fit.

Got that little bit? Now you have two bits done. Where's your smallest gap now? Need just 2 lines between them? Figure out the rhyme, and work backwards to fill in the syllables. Now you have 3 bits done... just repeat until that one section is done.

Work WITHIN the structure of the song. If the verse you want to write is longer than the section you have looped, break it into multiple verses. No one wants to hear a 3 minute verse. That much rapping without a hook is just plain boring no matter how much of a lyrical genius you may be... and yes, I've been on stage many a time with NO backup spitting 3 minute verses, so I know a thing or two about this. This is a song... not a poetry slam. Half the problem with the block may be not starting from the STRUCTURE.

So... you have completed one section. Is it a verse? A chorus? If it does't have a great hook to it, or rambles on past a few lines, then it aint a chorus. Consider whether you want a textural change for the chorus (female SINGER instead of just male rap all the way through, for instance) Whichever way you go on that, make the Chorus simple, and HAVE A HOOK.

Whether it's an ironic phrase, a catchy slogun, whatever... just make sure there's a SHORT, SIMPLE, and MEMORABLE phrase for a hook.

Now, if the first part you completed was a verse, you have a template for other verses. No offense, but most hip hop artists are morons who know nothing whatsoever about music, and even less about aesthetics in general. Not that it has to be that way, mind you... and some have a much more developed sense of artistry... but if you think for a minute that all the "rules" of songwriting and aesthetics in general don't apply because you're doing hip hop, well, then you'll end up with something that sounds like... well, most hip hop these days.

One of those key thing missing often is a sense of playing with the tension and relief. Since you have one verse done, if it's the first verse (and if you're telling some sort of story, you will generally tend to come up with the first verse first since it's the one that does the exposition and describes what's going on), then you will have also set up a template of expectations in the listener.

The unspoken expectation is that the other verses will follow the first by having the same rhyme scheme, meter, length, etc. START by following the example from the first one... writing another verse using the same steps above that sounds the same... each syllable in lock step with the first. Then, once you start to flesh out what you want to say, play around with changing around some of the rhythms or elements... especially toward the end in order to lure the listener in with the EXPECTATION of sameness, then play with those expectations in unexpected ways and deliver a twist or two.

Repeat until you have the right number of verses.

Figure out a basic arrangement. You need to start somewhere. Generally speaking, it's hard to go wrong with something like:

verse
chorus
verse
chorus
Something else (instumental, etc)
verse
chorus
chorus

Not written in stone by any means, but if you don't have some basic concept of and arrangement that works, you'll end up with a disaster, so if you don't have something in mind by this point, start with the above, and tweak as necessary.

Anyway, that's a basic blueprint. Now, you may or may not read this and decide to follow it, but I'd put it to you this way. If you've tried to write a song many times and ended up with two lines, it's time to start by admitting to yourself that you know NOTHING about writing a song. Clearly, your current plan (or more likely lack thereof) has been a complete failure...

Knowing you're a lyrical genius in your head, and having nothing to show for it is a cliche you don't want to live out.

So... let's say everything I've said above is wrong and it doesn't really work for you. If you try it and it gets you halfway there, at least now you know SOMETHING about writing a song and have a plan that is only a partial failure for you. Pick up the pieces, keep learning, and find OTHER starting points to jump off from.

Prove everything I've said wrong and write a hit if you like... but do it by understanding first WHY I've given all these steps and exactly what they can do.

Sounds to me like 2 elements are missing at current.

1 A plan

2 Focus on that plan

The first one (one version, anyway) is now handed to you. All you have to do is the second one.

https://soundcloud.com/AintNobodyMusic/aint-nobody-sample

https://soundcloud.com/aintnobodymusic/get-down-sample

https://soundcloud.com/aintnobodymusic/angsmn-sample

https://soundcloud.com/aintnobodymusic/do-what-you-love-sample

AINT NOBODY album is DONE!!! Videos now in production.

Want music and videos BEFORE their official release dates?

PM me for your private password invitation and BE FIRST!
3rd December 2012
Old 3rd December 2012
Lives for gear

when im not writing it's usually procrastination

i think writer's block is just an excuse for being afraid to fail

sit down and develop the first idea that comes to you. don't judge it good or bad, just write. even if it turns out lousy you'll be ready to start a new one and realize writer's block is b.s.
3rd December 2012
Old 3rd December 2012
Lives for gear

If you don't write, you aren't a writer. No shame, most people aren't. Lots of people want to write. The only question that matters is: what have you written?
3rd December 2012
Old 3rd December 2012
Gear maniac

I find it impossible to write unless I'm inspired, and inspiration is something that you can't force. If you find yourself 'trying to come up with something to write about' you may want to write, but you aren't inspired to write, otherwise it will pour out of you faster than you can write it down.

When in the City of Coyotes area, visit the Ryman Auditorium and come on by Good Intentions Studio or just throw a beer bottle in the driveway as you pass and scream, "AW, HELL YEAH!"
3rd December 2012
Old 3rd December 2012
Gear interested

THIS IS FROM MY PERSONAL EXPERIENCE and HOW I OVER CAME WRITERS BLOCK

At first starting out everything was fine I would try to write bars on paper and just trying to make what I thought was rap music back then. Of course everyone thinks they are good when they first start out looking back I ain't even half as good as I am now. Anyways like I said when I first started out I had no problem and no writers block for at least a year maybe.

This was when I was back in high school maybe the second year of high school, thats when I started to get writers block but it didn't happen all at once. What happened was back then I would write tons of verses, I would title them but really all I was doing was making verses without finishing the songs. I would write a verse then throw it away, fix it or sometimes decide I want to make a new verse. I remember I had in school suspension and wrote 3 full rap songs that day, thats a total of 9 verses wrote within 6 hours just to let you in on how much and how quickly I wrote.

So really by the end of my second year of high school I had SOME full songs that wasn't my best work, and I had TONS of unfinished raps or just random bars through my notebooks laying around. It was impossible for me to try to find a blank page for school work. Don't worry writers block is coming.

So my friend that second year of high school who is older than me and is out of high school wanted to make a rap with me, so I said okay. Since this was going to be offical I wanted it to be 100% perfect in every way, shape and form especially since it was with him. It took me ONE ENTIRE YEAR TO WRITE 1 VERSE!!! You herd me right I had terrible writers block to the point it wasn't even writers block it was just me fixing everything I wrote because I thought it wasn't perfect enough.

This is what would happen when I had writers block, I would write down a bar or two, take a bit of time to think of something for the next two bars. Then I would doubt the bars I wrote, fix a word in the previous bar or erase entire bars. Then it got to the point where I wrote a full 16 bars and would thow it away after I was done and just keep making new verses. I had at the very least like 8 verses that were tweeked and messed with but they were all verses that were supposed to be TO ONE TRACK. Now remember I only needed to make one verse for my friend but writers block was messing with me so I would keep making the verses over and erasing them.

SO NOW THE SOLUTION MY WAY
-Well what I did was decide to start over. When I say start over I mean START OVER!!!
I took every piece of unfinished and yes EVEN FINISHED RAPS that I have done and ripped them in half then threw them in my friends trash. Now if you have a rap that you 100% think is good and you like keep it but if you doubt any get rid of it other wise its just unorganized garbage in the back of your mind ****ing with you.

So thats step #1 I got rid of everything I've ever done because I felt my mind was unorganized trying to keep track of unfinished things, even though I was not going to use any of those unfinished raps just the thought was in the back of my head and it needed out. So thats what I did first.

Then I fixed the way I wrote bars, and actually I got inspired a bit by my friend because without him I may not have thought this way. Usually I would write down bars if I thought they were good then fix them later if need be. However I remember my friend on the couch would say MAN I CAN'T THINK OF MY 3rd bar and I would say DAMN YOUR ONLY ON YOUR 3RD BAR all of this time. Thats when I realized that he would take hours if it ment getting the perfect bar. Now this is different from me, I would spend hours fixing and erasing. He would not write a bar down unless he knew 99% sure he wanted that bar and was convinced he wouldn't change it.

So thats when I started to think/write that way, now when I write bars down I try to make sure 99% that the bar I am writing down is the bar I want on that paper this way there is no second guessing or fixing later on because that will mess with your mind and you'll start doubting your thoughts. Now here and there I will go back and fix something but its just something like one word or bar and doesn't happen alot or as bad as before.
So thats step two, to be sure you want that bar down.

Now before I write PLEASE MAKE SURE YOU ARE IN THE MOOD
Trust me this is the biggest role in making good music.
now you may be thinking that well your never in the mood, sometimes I'm like that but for me I can make myself get in the mood. When I'm not in the mood I will second guess things, write things down quicker just because I want to get done, feel less motivated and believe it or not I feel my brain doesn't work at 100%.
There are only a few ways I try to get myself in the mood, number one is I listen to beats and rap in my head until I get in the mood. Another thing I do is think about all the money, cars, girls I could get if I was to make it SORRY ITS MOTIVATION. If I really need in the mood I will go on facebook and literally find some smoking hot girls and just play a rap song while looking at their photos just knowing thats what I can get with no problem if I made them big bucks with some good music. The best motivation is friends that put you in the mood and if your both talking about making it big you will get motivated just throw on some beats and listen. The best days are just when you are already motivated like magic.

LAST THING
Like I said I think its about placing things in your mind, the more things that are unorganized in your mind will mess you up on paper and cloud your focus. This may sound dumb but If I don't clean my room and it gets messy it messes with my ability to be at 100% because in my mind my room isn't organized and somehow that unorginization is in my brain now so I go clean my room up so everythings neat.

SOUNDS STUPID BUT IT WORKED FOR ME and I promise you I write some bars that make people say HE JUST KILLED THAT SHIT.

In my mind what writers block really is is when you can't STICK WITH SOMETHING YOU WROTE AND YOU SECOND GUESS ALOT which causes you to get writers block, causes you to go back and fix things, erase things, start over ect.
MAKE A DOPE AS BAR AND STICK WITH IT once you know its the bar you want down on paper

Oh and mind you I am out of high school now this was about 2 years back and I've never had a writers block problem since then as long as I do what I stated above. Just typing the words "WRITERS BLOCK" makes me not want to remember that dark place LMFAO.
3rd December 2012
Old 3rd December 2012
Gear interested

Quote:
Originally Posted by johnny nowhere View Post
I find it impossible to write unless I'm inspired, and inspiration is something that you can't force. If you find yourself 'trying to come up with something to write about' you may want to write, but you aren't inspired to write, otherwise it will pour out of you faster than you can write it down.
Thats soo true because when I'm not in the mood I feel that I will just write things down quickly as if I'm telling myself AHH THATS GOOD ENOUGH when in reality I should be saying THATS PERFECT. Thats why I also do not write when not in the mood.
4th December 2012
Old 4th December 2012
Lives for gear

i'm gonna have to beg to differ about waiting until you're in the mood or you feel "inspired"

you need to invite the muse, not wait for it

invite the muse by sitting down to write everyday, whether you feel like it or not, and the muse will visit more often
4th December 2012
Old 4th December 2012
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dave.R View Post
you need to invite the muse, not wait for it
LOL.

That's what professionals do. Rather than waiting for the planets to line up correctly to create the right mood, they kick it in gear and just do it.

Quote:
Originally Posted by pinkheadedbug View Post
If you don't write, you aren't a writer.
The truth. But sometimes a bit scary. It's the fear of failure or the fear of mediocrity that often keeps one from writing. That certainly has been the case with me at times. In the end you just have to do it if you want to be a writer.

It helps to develop awareness of the world around you so that you can see the ideas that are right in front of your eyes. Awareness and observation are skills that good writers develop that are not often talked about. One source of block is simply not to have any ideas.

Both Lennon and McCartney were both good at being observant of the world around them. The song Paperback Writer was written after Paul read an article about an author in the newspaper. John used a newspaper article in part to write the song A Day in Life.
5th December 2012
Old 5th December 2012
Gear interested

Quote:
Originally Posted by Frank_Case View Post
LOL.

That's what professionals do. Rather than waiting for the planets to line up correctly to create the right mood, they kick it in gear and just do it.

The truth. But sometimes a bit scary. It's the fear of failure or the fear of mediocrity that often keeps one from writing. That certainly has been the case with me at times. In the end you just have to do it if you want to be a writer.

It helps to develop awareness of the world around you so that you can see the ideas that are right in front of your eyes. Awareness and observation are skills that good writers develop that are not often talked about. One source of block is simply not to have any ideas.

Both Lennon and McCartney were both good at being observant of the world around them. The song Paperback Writer was written after Paul read an article about an author in the newspaper. John used a newspaper article in part to write the song A Day in Life.
Ya you can write everyday even if you not in the mood but its not going to be super good work, its good just for keeping your brain active but I don't get what you two are trying to say, if your saying "WRITE EVERYDAY EVEN IF YOUR NOT IN THE MOOD AND OVER TIME YOU WILL GET IN THE MOOD" Then I agree, but if your trying to say "IT DOESN'T MATTER IF YOUR IN THE MOOD, JUST WRITE WHEN YOUR NOT IN THE MOOD AND THATS GOING TO BE YOUR BEST WORK OR A HIT SONG" then I STRONGLY DISAGREE.

I can assure you that if I take all my songs I wrote while I was in the mood they TAKE DUMPS on the songs I wrote when I wasn't in the mood. OH YA thats right I have no songs like that because If I'm not in the mood I don't try to make KEEPABLE SONGS. The only reason to write when your not in the mood is just to keep your brain working, practice or trying to get in the mood. If you think you can FORCE a hit song good luck with that.

Lets take a look at some metaphors, similes, punchlines from some of my songs I wrote when I was in the mood.
- You couldn't catch a dope mind with a meth addict
- Call me ronald, I got a smile behind the big mac
- Cause I'ma ****ing die fresh like Billy mays.
- No spaghetti sauce, when I'm heading off, I'll turn his tamatoe to ragoo.
- I ran through more bars than alcoholics
- The only time you got ill was when you caught the flu
- I own a pump but it ain't for a flat tire
- the only clean shot you land is when your spraying your axe
- I'm potty trained but I still run around with my Piss tool(pistol)
-you walk around with a click as safe as a cap gun
- with all them baby lines nobody will kidnap one
- like drive thrus I'm bout to take beef off the menu
- better yet earthquake the way I rip through town
- kids scream every time they see the face of "IT" (the clown)

If you can't understand comparisons give up on life please.

Don't even try to say writing while not in the mood is good and your going to make quality work HELL NO. This is rap not rock or jazz here. Rock you can say anything, country well just talk about whatever. Rap I guess you can talk about whatever but with rap people actually pay attention to LYRICS AND SKILL. Mulit's, punchlines, metaphors ect. If I take my best lines and compare it to old lines when I wasn't in the mood they are 100% better.
And I didn't even post up my good lines because I'm sure someone would think OMG THAT COMPARISON WAS GOOD I SHOULD STEAL IT
Y9Y
5th December 2012
Old 5th December 2012
Y9Y
Gear interested

What I do is call over a guitarist friend of mine and he throws down some great riffs, and that always inspires new songs out of me.
5th December 2012
Old 5th December 2012
Lives for gear

hobbyists write when they're in the mood

professionals write everyday
5th December 2012
Old 5th December 2012
Gear interested

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dave.R View Post
hobbyists write when they're in the mood

professionals write everyday
Lifting weights is a hobby, I lift weights everyday when I'm in the mood but that doesn't mean your getting 100% of your workouts when your not in the mood, ITS COMMON LOGIC if your in the mood you do better PLAIN AND SIMPLE. Again still don't know what you guys mean by WRITE EVERYDAY, if you mean WRITE EVERYDAY to better your self sure, if you mean TRY TO WRITE AN OFFICAL SONG WHILE NOT IN THE MOOD AND THINK ITS GOING TO BE 100% your dumb.
5th December 2012
Old 5th December 2012
Geariophile

Quote:
Originally Posted by ICEN View Post
Lifting weights is a hobby, I lift weights everyday when I'm in the mood but that doesn't mean your getting 100% of your workouts when your not in the mood, ITS COMMON LOGIC if your in the mood you do better PLAIN AND SIMPLE. Again still don't know what you guys mean by WRITE EVERYDAY, if you mean WRITE EVERYDAY to better your self sure, if you mean TRY TO WRITE AN OFFICAL SONG WHILE NOT IN THE MOOD AND THINK ITS GOING TO BE 100% your dumb.
Wake up mate. Most of those rap tunes you like to listen to are written in everyday mode. LOADS of hits are. Because it is how Dave R. says it is. And pros write most of the hits in the end. By definition.

A big producer once told me a little story. It's about a writer. The writer says " I can only write when I'm inspired. So I make sure I am inspired every day at 9am."

5th December 2012
Old 5th December 2012
Gear interested

Quote:
Originally Posted by Karloff70 View Post
Wake up mate. Most of those rap tunes you like to listen to are written in everyday mode. LOADS of hits are. Because it is how Dave R. says it is. And pros write most of the hits in the end. By definition.

A big producer once told me a little story. It's about a writer. The writer says " I can only write when I'm inspired. So I make sure I am inspired every day at 9am."

Nobody wakes up saying HEY I'M GOING TO MAKE A HIT SONG TODAY!!! It just happens, and when I say hit song I'm not talking about mainstream ANYONE CAN MAKE A HIT SONG just have a bunch of men that act like girls in skinny jeans, have a danceable beat, and sing about swag which is also ********. When I say GOOD SONG to me that means good lyrics I don't care if something has 10000000000000 views, justin bieber has like 800,000 mill views on his one ******** song, lets see what he says during some of his songs.

He wakes up and decides YEA I KNOW!!! I'm going to write BABY BABY BABY over and over and that will be called a hit song!!! This day and age nobody cares about lyrics, nobody cares about how much thought you put into anything, nobody cares about your rhyme scheme, nobody cares about your metaphors, you know what they care about? Dressing up in girl jeans and dancing like girls thats about it.

Maybe the reason none of you can understand is because your not a technical side rapper, meaning you focus on being lyrical. I have tons of friends that rap NONE OF THEM SAY yea man I do really good when I'm not in the mood. I would take a good bet that 80% of someones best work is when they are in the mood and feel like doing it, I would give you 20% of someones best work is when they feel like shit.

The only reason its possible to to make a HIT SONG when your not in the mood is #1 todays music is ******** and little kids garbageness can make hit songs as long as they have money out their ass anything is possible.
#2 If your NOT in the mood and you do as you say and write songs when your not in the mood most likely I would be willing to say that 75% of the time after writing a bit your going to now BE IN THE MOOD so technically your not writing HIT SONGS while your not in the mood anymore because your put in the mood.

I'm sure that I come off as a complete know it all a hole, but my anger builds up from garbage lyrics, I guess its because I expect people to be better and get pissed when I see the most ******est songs that take no thought with their lines that anyone over age 8 can think of, while other people spend time trying to think of perfect rhyme scheme, trying to make muli's, ect.

This is the way I think and it will never change, I respect all music as music but I don't respect music that I think takes no skill and those who I don't see having some what of skill/thought in the way they write/flow then I will always consider me superior even if they are famous rappers/and have 200000000000000000000000views

because at the end of the day like eminem said - HE MAY HAVE MORE CARS THEN ME, HE MAY HAVE MORE MONEY THAN ME, BUT HE CAN'T WRITE WHAT I'M WRITING.
5th December 2012
Old 5th December 2012
Geariophile

What you say is very young (and a bit ANGRY...what's up with the capitol abuse?). Kinda funny to me, as it brings me back to a not dissimilar place where I was a long time ago. Hence said producer telling me said little story as we were having a similar discussion.....lol....only with me on the other side.

I respect your putting value in the right places no end and no, that isn't likely to change with time, but your view on how this whole thing works and more often than not comes together (and that includes a large part of what you would quantify as GOOD stuff) likely will. Let it. It's ok.

Basically someone sitting down and 'making himself get into an inspired place' is a skill in its own right, and if you want to be a writer it may just be THE biggest thing to get better at.
5th December 2012
Old 5th December 2012
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by Karloff70 View Post
Basically someone sitting down and 'making himself get into an inspired place' is a skill in its own right, and if you want to be a writer it may just be THE biggest thing to get better at.
agreed...and it takes discipline and a professional attitude

back to work...

5th December 2012
Old 5th December 2012
Gear maniac

KEEP WRITING.

Even if it completely sucks and is total crap, keep. on. writing. Just don't expect to be writing anything good while you are in this phase. Feel free to laugh jovially at your crappy creations, save them and forget about them. The next day...do the exact same thing. Don't let how shit they are get to you at all, just write...and move on.

When you are slowly making your way out of writers block, you will probably feel much less confident than you once were when writing. The blank page is horrifically intimidating to a writer with no confidence.

I force myself to write something every day, whether it's lyrics, a piece of music...whatever. If you take a break, you may spend much longer than you ever intended waiting for the 'spark' to come back....in some cases, it may never come back.

I seriously have a song written about a cloud outside my window that looked like a penis. I called it "Dick Cloud". I am not joking. It's so bad, it's a song about a cloud that looks like a dick...what more can I say

I wrote it (and a bunch of other awful, awful songs) when I was suffering writers block. As my inspiration came back, I wasn't suddenly writing great stuff, but it was better than 'Dick Cloud' and similar works...and that gave me confidence, just seeing that two lines in this slightly more inspired song was better than a verse of Dick Cloud...then I could slowly crawl out of the writer's block hole and I also learned a lot about writing in that experience too.
5th December 2012
Old 5th December 2012
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rainball View Post
KEEP WRITING.
This, and give yourself permission to write complete shit, as long as you finish it.

I'm a professional writer (screen, not music) and when people say "I'd like to be a screenwriter" I ask them how many scripts they've finished.

It generally goes a bit quiet after that.
5th December 2012
Old 5th December 2012
Gear maniac

Quote:
KEEP WRITING.
This. It's hammered into your head by every writing class, book on writing, and teacher worth his/her salt for a damn good reason.

A couple years ago, I read Paul Zollo's Songwriters on Songwriting cover to cover. It's a really inspiring collection of interviews with songwriters discussing their craft: methodologies, work habits, etc.

Every songwriter in that book has a unique way of writing, a unique approach to melody or harmony or lyrics or rhythm, a unique valuation of what's important to their compositions. But there was one constant in every single interview: you have to write, and keep writing every day, whether you're in the mood to do it or not. If you don't think you have the time for it, make the time for it if you're serious.

No, you're not going to produce a gem every day, or even every other day. But your gem-to-dross ratio will improve markedly if you keep at it, and your productivity will mushroom.

Waiting for inspiration is dilettantism at worst, a recipe for frustration and a piddling output at best.
5th December 2012
Old 5th December 2012
Lives for gear

Yep. And I disagree that the good stuff only comes when you're inspired. Writing every day even when you don't feel like it is not just an empty exercise, but it also leads to great results. Sure there are days when it's really painful and you have to force yourself to do something and those probably won't turn out well. And there are times when you're suddenly inspired and something pours out easily. But the vast majority of the time I'm in a kind of in-between state: not necessarily inspired, but not totally dreading it either, and forcing myself to work during those times often leads to good stuff.
5th December 2012
Old 5th December 2012
Lives for gear

Here's a system and I don't even charge for it.

Get a cheap composition book. For each week, log into it each day how many things you achieved, from tiny ones to bigger, does not matter. Try to make at least five items a day and 10 each weekend day. Anything from tested a plug-in, to writing a small loop, or writing half a song, to finishing a song, to listening one hour of music to learn productions, to trying go find rap artists online you could work with and so on.

This kind of enforcement makes you make stuff instead of worrying too much.
11th December 2012
Old 11th December 2012
Gear maniac

Quote:
KEEP WRITING.
+1

For two good reasons:

First, nobody can write a great song or a cast-iron hit every time they sit down to write. We all have to get through some rubbish first. So basically, it's a numbers game - every song you write that ain't that good get's you one closer to the song that is great.

Secondly, the more you write, the more you polish your craft. And a lot of songwriting is craft - you have to learn how to use the tools of your trade if you really want to create something good.
11th December 2012
Old 11th December 2012
Gear nut

My best ideas come when I go to the toilet - just saying Anyone else get that?!

I should really put a guitar next to my sink...
11th December 2012
Old 11th December 2012
Lives for gear

watch this, this lady knows whats she is talking about and i agree with her even if im not a fan of what she writes she has a good ethos here. watch it!

11th December 2012
Old 11th December 2012
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by aaronsmith View Post
watch this, this lady knows whats she is talking about and i agree with her even if im not a fan of what she writes she has a good ethos here. watch it!

Amen.
11th December 2012
Old 11th December 2012
Gear maniac

Quote:
Originally Posted by ICEN View Post
Nobody wakes up saying HEY I'M GOING TO MAKE A HIT SONG TODAY!!! I
Absolutely WRONG.

I do just this everyday.And everyday I write a song.And one of them might be the one.
11th December 2012
Old 11th December 2012
Lives for gear

Lazy!!!
12th December 2012
Old 12th December 2012
Lives for gear

no im not saying that..
New Reply Submit Thread to Facebook Facebook  Submit Thread to Twitter Twitter  Submit Thread to LinkedIn LinkedIn  Submit Thread to Google+ Google+ 

Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search