Login / Register
 
Should I just trash this? Real opinions only please..
New Reply
Subscribe
musicmonster
Thread Starter
#61
12th April 2012
Old 12th April 2012
  #61
Banned
 
Joined: Apr 2012
Posts: 84

Thread Starter
musicmonster is offline
Quote:
Originally Posted by suzzymackenzie View Post
I enjoyed listening to this, in a Yo La Tengo meets Fleet Foxes sort of way.

You've got at least two great hooks - the 'back streets' phrase, for instance, and that oil drum mallet figure that pops up a few times out of nowhere (and sounds great when it does). I would think about de-cluttering as necessary to feature them better.

There's just too much rattling around there in this cement-mixer of a song, and some of it is really jagged and clangs unpleasantly. The umpteen rhythmic variations are one thing that makes the song interesting, but some of them need to be culled to let the others shine, and the ones that are kept just need to be tightened enough so that you properly feel what their rhythmic structure is. Some of the vocal phrasing seems just a bit too off, maybe no more than 1/64 or something, to 'get' how it fits. And that low sampled frequency shifted element (not sure what it is) judders and disrupts too much for my taste.

On the other hand, the complexity and clutter of this song are a fantastic example of form matching subject. In the rough back streets of the neglected project, there are gonna be all manner of lost, abandoned, bust up objects lying around just like all the elements rhythmic, textural and vocal in the song.

I quite like the fragile shaky timbre of the vocal. Frankly, it's a welcome change from pitch-corrected perfection (which is fine in the right genre). In the back streets, you don't expect anything much to be pristine or pretty, so here, it suits.

As a work in progress - really interesting and monstrously original. Definitely worth developing, I think
Hey I want to ask you about the cement sound too. That sound is a steel drum sample on casio on the low keys going fed to a echo. If it bad I could take it away?
#62
12th April 2012
Old 12th April 2012
  #62
Gear maniac
 
rnaple's Avatar
 
Joined: Oct 2011
Location: Rocky Mountains
Posts: 162

rnaple is offline
Quote:
Originally Posted by IHateMyUsername View Post
Ok, so the whole song makes you cringe. Good to have that sorted out!

If your mom could make songs where her voice worked as effectively in the arrangement as this, I'd suggest she started writing!

Heard of Bob Dylan, by the way? Or listened to muslim minarets during prayer? Or folk music that has been untouched by western music theory in general? Also good examples of what you call awful.
Do I have children on here? Where do you get deciding what I call awful? You've got to be joking...or maybe trolling for more posts? All you mentioned has a music theory called; Common old horse sense music theory.

Otherwise...is something going on here? Like seeing how far one can go in trying to convince people that something bad is actually good? Someone writing a term paper for their homework?


To the OP...look up Brett Manning...a voice coach...sells CD's that any voice coach would teach anyone. Actually makes this kind of knowledge inexpensive as compared to hiring a coach. Learn how to sing. It ain't no big deal. Just knowing what you are doing is all you need. Don't change. I have repeatedly told you I like your creativity. You definitely have art in your heart and mind. I have repeatedly said I like what I hear you are trying to do. I can't encourage you enough to keep working at it.
__________________
"It's not a performance...It's an experience." ...Janis Joplin
"I can do a good demo."... Carole King
musicmonster
Thread Starter
#63
12th April 2012
Old 12th April 2012
  #63
Banned
 
Joined: Apr 2012
Posts: 84

Thread Starter
musicmonster is offline
Quote:
Originally Posted by rnaple View Post
Do I have children on here? Where do you get deciding what I call awful? You've got to be joking...or maybe trolling for more posts? All you mentioned has a music theory called; Common old horse sense music theory.

Otherwise...is something going on here? Like seeing how far one can go in trying to convince people that something bad is actually good? Someone writing a term paper for their homework?


To the OP...look up Brett Manning...a voice coach...sells CD's that any voice coach would teach anyone. Actually makes this kind of knowledge inexpensive as compared to hiring a coach. Learn how to sing. It ain't no big deal. Just knowing what you are doing is all you need. Don't change. I have repeatedly told you I like your creativity. You definitely have art in your heart and mind. I have repeatedly said I like what I hear you are trying to do. I can't encourage you enough to keep working at it.
I respect everything that you said I asked for advice and my singing is..

singing is everything and I tried real hard believe me.
I also think people can say something is awful because I asked..

maybe*I look for a library book on vox skills.
#64
12th April 2012
Old 12th April 2012
  #64
Gear interested
 
Joined: Apr 2012
Posts: 26

songwoman is offline
Quote:
Originally Posted by rnaple View Post
Trash it....
Vocals waver on key too much...
Vocals nasal falsetto...sounds like guys trying to sing like girls...
Song sounds like somebody just got a new shipment of hash and this is what came out.
Don't trash the creativity. Think you're on to something. Keep trying.
Finding your comments somewhat confused. You give this guy props for his artistry, but are hammering him for his singing?
Maybe I'm hearing something different to you, but to my ears, the dude's got a really good singing voice.

You also criticized him for "singing like a girl". Not really sure what this means because lots of great guy singers sing in a high vocal range.

Correct me if I'm wrong, but I'm getting the impression that maybe you're harboring a teeny tiny bit of professional jealousy of this dude?
Or is it that you are just especially good at knowing about bad singing?

#65
12th April 2012
Old 12th April 2012
  #65
Lives for gear
 
initialsBB's Avatar
 
Joined: Oct 2002
Location: LA
Posts: 3,556

initialsBB is offline
also basically every good piece of recorded music in the history of the world "sounds like somebody just got a new shipment of hash and this is what came out. "
#66
12th April 2012
Old 12th April 2012
  #66
Gear maniac
 
IHateMyUsername's Avatar
 
Joined: Jun 2011
Location: Oslo, Norway

IHateMyUsername is offline
Quote:
Originally Posted by rnaple View Post
Do I have children on here? Where do you get deciding what I call awful? You've got to be joking...or maybe trolling for more posts? All you mentioned has a music theory called; Common old horse sense music theory.

Otherwise...is something going on here? Like seeing how far one can go in trying to convince people that something bad is actually good? Someone writing a term paper for their homework?


To the OP...look up Brett Manning...a voice coach...sells CD's that any voice coach would teach anyone. Actually makes this kind of knowledge inexpensive as compared to hiring a coach. Learn how to sing. It ain't no big deal. Just knowing what you are doing is all you need. Don't change. I have repeatedly told you I like your creativity. You definitely have art in your heart and mind. I have repeatedly said I like what I hear you are trying to do. I can't encourage you enough to keep working at it.
I think your previous post will answer your first questions pretty well. And yes, you're right about the things I've said here. It's all understandable as common sense, and apparently we all need a reminder now and then.

I think songwoman's quote of you tells a bit about what you've contributed with earlier in this thread, and why I reacted like I did. Although you did say that you liked his creativity, you seem to be reformulating yourself quite a bit now. And of course, anything can be done better somehow (that one is also directed to Dpro), but as you implied yourself; let's not state the obvious?

And to Dpro: I (and people who care about music in general) don't necessarily listen to music because I find it appealing. This guy clearly writes songs that aren't. Still I think I'd actually buy this guy's album, because the music catches me by surprise. It's really ENTERTAINING to listen to! Why settle for appealing or perfect or whatever, when your strength truly lies in the creative? If everybody kept making music for it to be appealing, we'd might as well live in Mozart's time and stop using overdrive on our guitars. And my opinion is also shared by others on this thread, so that's really not an argument.

I'm going to stop this argument for my part now, as it clearly seems to be getting out of hand (the degree of objectivity and sarcasm in rnaple's answer to me is a good indicator of that. I guess I had it coming, though!).

And to the OP: As I said earlier, you have a long way to go if you want to write a hit, or appealing music whatsoever like others have mentioned as well. Though, you've got something interesting going here, and you should stick to your ideals, or even better become more aware of them. You seem very unsure about what you want to do with your music. Find out what you want to sound like. If you want to do "better", you got to know what is the ideal for what you're trying to make. Being good at singing is not the same for a jazz singer as for an opera singer. What do you want to sound like? Find YOUR voice. That's what separates the generic from the amazing.
If you want to be amazing and write catchy pop, I bid you good luck, and to keep on learning and asking around here. There is an outrageous lot of experienced and helpful people here who are great at what they do, however much I disagree with them on many points.

Peace!
#67
13th April 2012
Old 13th April 2012
  #67
Gear interested
 
Joined: Apr 2012
Posts: 26

songwoman is offline
Quote:
Originally Posted by IHateMyUsername View Post
I think your previous post will answer your first questions pretty well. And yes, you're right about the things I've said here. It's all understandable as common sense, and apparently we all need a reminder now and then.

I think songwoman's quote of you tells a bit about what you've contributed with earlier in this thread, and why I reacted like I did. Although you did say that you liked his creativity, you seem to be reformulating yourself quite a bit now. And of course, anything can be done better somehow (that one is also directed to Dpro), but as you implied yourself; let's not state the obvious?

And to Dpro: I (and people who care about music in general) don't necessarily listen to music because I find it appealing. This guy clearly writes songs that aren't. Still I think I'd actually buy this guy's album, because the music catches me by surprise. It's really ENTERTAINING to listen to! Why settle for appealing or perfect or whatever, when your strength truly lies in the creative? If everybody kept making music for it to be appealing, we'd might as well live in Mozart's time and stop using overdrive on our guitars. And my opinion is also shared by others on this thread, so that's really not an argument.

I'm going to stop this argument for my part now, as it clearly seems to be getting out of hand (the degree of objectivity and sarcasm in rnaple's answer to me is a good indicator of that. I guess I had it coming, though!).

And to the OP: As I said earlier, you have a long way to go if you want to write a hit, or appealing music whatsoever like others have mentioned as well. Though, you've got something interesting going here, and you should stick to your ideals, or even better become more aware of them. You seem very unsure about what you want to do with your music. Find out what you want to sound like. If you want to do "better", you got to know what is the ideal for what you're trying to make. Being good at singing is not the same for a jazz singer as for an opera singer. What do you want to sound like? Find YOUR voice. That's what separates the generic from the amazing.
If you want to be amazing and write catchy pop, I bid you good luck, and to keep on learning and asking around here. There is an outrageous lot of experienced and helpful people here who are great at what they do, however much I disagree with them on many points.

Peace!
Yeh I just read some of rnaple's later posts, and they're a bit more balanced than that first one, so I apologize for jumping in there.

My main problem with his general "take" on the song is that when he calls the op's singing "awful". This is a songwriting forum (I think?) and not a vocal coaching forum.

Rmaple has every right though, to criticize the vocal performance in the recording, but by the same token, I have the right to say that rnaples notes on the vocal performance were "awful": saying "sings like a girl" is not decent criticism, and leads me believe that rnaple is not very informed about vocals.

I personally enjoyed the op's songs, and this forum.
#68
13th April 2012
Old 13th April 2012
  #68
Lives for gear
 
Dpro's Avatar
 
Joined: Mar 2012
Location: Los Feliz/Hollywood
Posts: 1,025

Dpro is online now
Quote:
Originally Posted by IHateMyUsername View Post
I
And to Dpro: I (and people who care about music in general) don't necessarily listen to music because I find it appealing. This guy clearly writes songs that aren't. Still I think I'd actually buy this guy's album, because the music catches me by surprise. It's really ENTERTAINING to listen to! Why settle for appealing or perfect or whatever, when your strength truly lies in the creative? If everybody kept making music for it to be appealing, we'd might as well live in Mozart's time and stop using overdrive on our guitars. And my opinion is also shared by others on this thread, so that's really not an argument.

I'm going to stop this argument for my part now, as it clearly seems to be getting out of hand (the degree of objectivity and sarcasm in rnaple's answer to me is a good indicator of that. I guess I had it coming, though!).
Its not been an argument more a debate except what have you been carrying on with with Maple. Oh and now you have taken it upon yourself to slang crap at me as well.
But at the same time say your going to stop.
What kinda of ****** is that?

Who are you, to declare that because I don't agree with you, I don't care about music?
That is indeed what your statement is tacitly saying.

Most people I know listen to music because it they find it appealing. You think people that listen to punk rock don't find it appealing? If they did not they would not listen to it.
Same goes for Death Metal, etc...

I know if a Death Metal band did play tightly in time people would say they suck. Oh and suppose you would say but its creative they are playing out of times and it sounds a mess but there is something great to it.

I bet you love Industrial Noise.

Oh and don't put words in my mouth either, I never once said music had to be perfect. The two do not walk hand in hand exclusively. I would dare to say if you think they do, you will fail yourself as a songwriter.

Do you think that something that is appealing or perfect is not creative? That is what you are saying in your statement about creativity as well.

Using overdrive on Guitars can be quite appealing to some people so therefore your statement about it makes for a completely inaccurate analogy.

Oh and are n you going to say so that Mozart is so appealing, that no one dislikes it? When some people cannot stand Classical.

You did not even read my posts! Had you, would have found that I did not dismiss his song completely or tell him to trash it.
You would have found I actually complimented his second and third song.

You seem to be taking this quite personally and in doing so are actually lashing out personally at people for making valid musical points with constructive criticism.


Oh and most people I know like to hear people singing on key. Like I said earlier few can get away with this like Robert Smith can.

I never said his voice sucked, I did say his singing off key makes me cringe.

On his other songs he actually has some key and it sounds cool.

you really should try reading completely before commenting as well.
musicmonster
Thread Starter
#69
13th April 2012
Old 13th April 2012
  #69
Banned
 
Joined: Apr 2012
Posts: 84

Thread Starter
musicmonster is offline
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dpro View Post
Its not been an argument more a debate except what have you been carrying on with with Maple. Oh and now you have taken it upon yourself to slang crap at me as well.
But at the same time say your going to stop.
What kinda of ****** is that?

Who are you, to declare that because I don't agree with you, I don't care about music?
That is indeed what your statement is tacitly saying.

Most people I know listen to music because it they find it appealing. You think people that listen to punk rock don't find it appealing? If they did not they would not listen to it.
Same goes for Death Metal, etc...

I know if a Death Metal band did play tightly in time people would say they suck. Oh and suppose you would say but its creative they are playing out of times and it sounds a mess but there is something great to it.

I bet you love Industrial Noise.

Oh and don't put words in my mouth either, I never once said music had to be perfect. The two do not walk hand in hand exclusively. I would dare to say if you think they do, you will fail yourself as a songwriter.

Do you think that something that is appealing or perfect is not creative? That is what you are saying in your statement about creativity as well.

Using overdrive on Guitars can be quite appealing to some people so therefore your statement about it makes for a completely inaccurate analogy.

Oh and are n you going to say so that Mozart is so appealing, that no one dislikes it? When some people cannot stand Classical.

You did not even read my posts! Had you, would have found that I did not dismiss his song completely or tell him to trash it.
You would have found I actually complimented his second and third song.

You seem to be taking this quite personally and in doing so are actually lashing out personally at people for making valid musical points with constructive criticism.


Oh and most people I know like to hear people singing on key. Like I said earlier few can get away with this like Robert Smith can.

I never said his voice sucked, I did say his singing off key makes me cringe.

On his other songs he actually has some key and it sounds cool.

you really should try reading completely before commenting as well.
Im sorry if this is getting bad.. I know that you said good things about my song so lets pour some water on the fire.

its just one mans poison is another mans wine. Im so pleased I had so much comments on my songs and dont want to start a bad war of words. if we were in a room together we could talk it out but you miss out on so much just writing like words get lost or not read properly.
#70
13th April 2012
Old 13th April 2012
  #70
Gear maniac
 
IHateMyUsername's Avatar
 
Joined: Jun 2011
Location: Oslo, Norway

IHateMyUsername is offline
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dpro View Post
Its not been an argument more a debate except what have you been carrying on with with Maple. Oh and now you have taken it upon yourself to slang crap at me as well.
But at the same time say your going to stop.
What kinda of ****** is that?

Who are you, to declare that because I don't agree with you, I don't care about music?
That is indeed what your statement is tacitly saying.

Most people I know listen to music because it they find it appealing. You think people that listen to punk rock don't find it appealing? If they did not they would not listen to it.
Same goes for Death Metal, etc...

I know if a Death Metal band did play tightly in time people would say they suck. Oh and suppose you would say but its creative they are playing out of times and it sounds a mess but there is something great to it.

I bet you love Industrial Noise.

Oh and don't put words in my mouth either, I never once said music had to be perfect. The two do not walk hand in hand exclusively. I would dare to say if you think they do, you will fail yourself as a songwriter.

Do you think that something that is appealing or perfect is not creative? That is what you are saying in your statement about creativity as well.

Using overdrive on Guitars can be quite appealing to some people so therefore your statement about it makes for a completely inaccurate analogy.

Oh and are n you going to say so that Mozart is so appealing, that no one dislikes it? When some people cannot stand Classical.

You did not even read my posts! Had you, would have found that I did not dismiss his song completely or tell him to trash it.
You would have found I actually complimented his second and third song.

You seem to be taking this quite personally and in doing so are actually lashing out personally at people for making valid musical points with constructive criticism.


Oh and most people I know like to hear people singing on key. Like I said earlier few can get away with this like Robert Smith can.

I never said his voice sucked, I did say his singing off key makes me cringe.

On his other songs he actually has some key and it sounds cool.

you really should try reading completely before commenting as well.
So should you. I concluded my comment by saying that although we seem to disagree on many things, it doesn't mean that we couldn't learn something from each other, and that you clearly have a lot of good and important knowledge to contribute with here. I did leave some stupid insults in my first post, and for that I apologize. If my comment was interpret like I believe that you don't care about music, I apologize for that too. That was clearly not what I meant.

To correct myself, I meant that people don't necessarily listen to music because it SOUNDS appealing. Of course, pleasant would have been a more precise word.

Yes, in this case I actually savior the inaccuracies. The harmony changes are great as well. Takes me by surprise, like I said. That you complimented his second and third song has nothing to do with your opinion about the first, by the way.

Please don't try to put words in my mouth either. I'm sure you're able to understand what I meant about that music shouldn't be made solely to sound appealing. If music was only made to appeal to the audiences, progression would stagnate.

I'm not even going to answer the list of rhetorical questions. If you really think I'm that far off, I think we could argue who's insulting who.

And if I seem to have not read your comments properly, it could be because I happen to not understand you because I find your sentence structures odd at times. Might be because my english is inferior to yours. I hope you can excuse me for that. It's not my mother language, but I learn as I live. An example is the last sentence in your first answer to me:

"It seems you had a poor choice of words previously to above, which did not make that point clear."

I'm sorry to have dragged you into this. I mixed up my discussions with rnaple and you, and things came out wrong. I hope you didn't take it personally. Good night.
#71
13th April 2012
Old 13th April 2012
  #71
Lives for gear
 
initialsBB's Avatar
 
Joined: Oct 2002
Location: LA
Posts: 3,556

initialsBB is offline
I think that somebody who gets this much of a reaction and causes this much of a controversial split in opinion is doing something right.
Quote
1
musicmonster
Thread Starter
#72
13th April 2012
Old 13th April 2012
  #72
Banned
 
Joined: Apr 2012
Posts: 84

Thread Starter
musicmonster is offline
Quote:
Originally Posted by initialsBB View Post
I think that somebody who gets this much of a reaction and causes this much of a controversial split in opinion is doing something right.
heres another one. its vocals are worst than the first one or when I finish them they will be!

we blew the driver on studio speakers with that feedback at the end. the guitar was feeding back to it. Cost $100 to replace..
Attached Files
File Type: mp3 Silver Wizard.mp3 (3.85 MB, 113 views)
#73
13th April 2012
Old 13th April 2012
  #73
Lives for gear
 
initialsBB's Avatar
 
Joined: Oct 2002
Location: LA
Posts: 3,556

initialsBB is offline
I think it needs more frog.
#74
13th April 2012
Old 13th April 2012
  #74
Lives for gear
 
initialsBB's Avatar
 
Joined: Oct 2002
Location: LA
Posts: 3,556

initialsBB is offline
and more chica bass pls
musicmonster
Thread Starter
#75
13th April 2012
Old 13th April 2012
  #75
Banned
 
Joined: Apr 2012
Posts: 84

Thread Starter
musicmonster is offline
Quote:
Originally Posted by initialsBB View Post
I think it needs more frog.
YES

More frog and more Chica bass for EVERYONE!
Attached Thumbnails
Should I just trash this? Real opinions only please..-mask-making-2.jpg  
7+1
#76
13th April 2012
Old 13th April 2012
  #76
7+1
Lives for gear
 
7+1's Avatar
 
Joined: Jan 2009
Location: Chicagoland
Posts: 532

7+1 is online now
Quote:
Originally Posted by rnaple View Post
Do I have children on here? Where do you get deciding what I call awful? You've got to be joking...or maybe trolling for more posts? All you mentioned has a music theory called; Common old horse sense music theory.

Otherwise...is something going on here? Like seeing how far one can go in trying to convince people that something bad is actually good? Someone writing a term paper for their homework?


To the OP...look up Brett Manning...a voice coach...sells CD's that any voice coach would teach anyone. Actually makes this kind of knowledge inexpensive as compared to hiring a coach. Learn how to sing. It ain't no big deal. Just knowing what you are doing is all you need. Don't change. I have repeatedly told you I like your creativity. You definitely have art in your heart and mind. I have repeatedly said I like what I hear you are trying to do. I can't encourage you enough to keep working at it.

I wasnt going to post but what the hey...

its late and i just got back from Titanic IMAX 3D

As for the above I think your missing the boat here... He isnt trying to be a superstar.. he is trying to express himself... As an artist. He might not have golden pipes... but he does have emotion.. With good direction and approach, he could have some music that is really artistic to his likings. Even something very special for others to enjoy.

I dig it.. and i think we should direct him less in the vocal realm and focus more on structure.. this is the "songwriting" forum... not the vocal coach forum..

Nice job on creating vibe... really nice. Maybe we can help with direction to get you on your course.

bed time for me.. i will dream soothing sounds.. and the titanic.. :(
#77
13th April 2012
Old 13th April 2012
  #77
Lives for gear
 
rkopald's Avatar
 
Joined: Dec 2008
Location: PNW
Posts: 692

rkopald is offline
Quote:
Originally Posted by initialsBB View Post
I honestly love it.
I also like it. I don't think it's crap at all.
It might need more low end, but I'm listening late-ish at night with my monitors down low..

And no offense to people that think you need to work on your voice, but I disagree. I think you have a very unique in a good way voice.
I'd be stoked to play with guys that whipped out a song like this. It's very original.
#78
13th April 2012
Old 13th April 2012
  #78
Gear interested
 
Joined: Apr 2012
Posts: 26

songwoman is offline
Excuse my ignorance, but what's a "chica" bass?
musicmonster
Thread Starter
#79
13th April 2012
Old 13th April 2012
  #79
Banned
 
Joined: Apr 2012
Posts: 84

Thread Starter
musicmonster is offline
Quote:
Originally Posted by songwoman View Post
Excuse my ignorance, but what's a "chica" bass?
Chica bass is my brothers bass its a Chica brand. It is homemade I think?

It sounds good with lots of echo on it!
#80
13th April 2012
Old 13th April 2012
  #80
Lives for gear
 
initialsBB's Avatar
 
Joined: Oct 2002
Location: LA
Posts: 3,556

initialsBB is offline
musicmonster
Thread Starter
#81
13th April 2012
Old 13th April 2012
  #81
Banned
 
Joined: Apr 2012
Posts: 84

Thread Starter
musicmonster is offline
Quote:
Originally Posted by rkopald View Post
I also like it. I don't think it's crap at all.
It might need more low end, but I'm listening late-ish at night with my monitors down low..

And no offense to people that think you need to work on your voice, but I disagree. I think you have a very unique in a good way voice.
I'd be stoked to play with guys that whipped out a song like this. It's very original.
thank you! you are very welcome to come and play with us if you ever get down this far south
#82
13th April 2012
Old 13th April 2012
  #82
Gear Head
 
mojomills's Avatar
 
Joined: Apr 2012
Location: Las Vegas, NV
Posts: 35

mojomills is offline
i love everything about these songs.
but hey, that's just my opinion.
#83
13th April 2012
Old 13th April 2012
  #83
Lives for gear
 
Lamster's Avatar
 
Joined: Jan 2012
Location: Southern England
Posts: 700

Lamster is offline
Quote:
Originally Posted by initialsBB View Post
I think that somebody who gets this much of a reaction and causes this much of a controversial split in opinion is doing something right.
Now isn't that the truth?

My point about the singing not being as bad as some that have earned money or even fame for "Holds" here.
SongWoman made similar comments about the Voice.Not everybody has the same idea of what is good singing

I have a great voice it just has a rough passage out and thus sounds awful!

Point i'm making is Some people can't sing and are out of tune and time with the music coupled with the quality of there voice is just bad. Think teenager singing with his Ipod on too loud! Then there are the people that can Sing Great Classicly trained Voice excellent timing and pitch perfect " The two girls from ABBA! Then there are people that have a great voice quality but are out of tune and time This can be learn't and they can become great singers.
Then you have the people that are in time and tune but their voice is just tonally flat no matter how much they practise there voice just sounds bland.
If anyone should give up its these people. But who am I or anybody else for that matter to tell people to give it up. IMO I think the OP has a good tonal qualiy to his voice. This puts him into the could do better category rather than the give it up and take up jogging category.

Mr Cowell does this and justifies himself by saying that telling them now is kinder than letting them carry on under the illusion that one day they may get somewhere.

This is B.S as he only judges on what he see's as a quick earner on his label. He is qualified to to comment on what make s Hits he's been behind a couple. It makes for good T.V.. The same comments also make for lively debate on theads like this one.

To Quote the man again not word for word more in essance of what he said.
"I find it utterly wrong to insult or criticise someone that is not in a position to defend themselves, like shouting at a teenager working in a shop who could lose his job if he answers back" he then goes on to say that on his shows they're fair game and they can shout back if they like.

I know the OP asked if his songs were shit and whether or not he should trash them. In some respects he is asking to get comments that are unfavourable even if he would perhaps rather not have them. But a good idea, your mates will all say great stuff mate lets hear some more then go off and take the piss behind your back? But people that don't know you are more inclined to be honest even if they just take the piss? My advise is Suck it all up sort out fact from the B.S take what you want onboard and carry on.
#84
14th April 2012
Old 14th April 2012
  #84
Gear interested
 
Joined: Apr 2012
Posts: 26

songwoman is offline
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lamster View Post
Now isn't that the truth?

My point about the singing not being as bad as some that have earned money or even fame for "Holds" here.
SongWoman made similar comments about the Voice.Not everybody has the same idea of what is good singing

I have a great voice it just has a rough passage out and thus sounds awful!

Point i'm making is Some people can't sing and are out of tune and time with the music coupled with the quality of there voice is just bad. Think teenager singing with his Ipod on too loud! Then there are the people that can Sing Great Classicly trained Voice excellent timing and pitch perfect " The two girls from ABBA! Then there are people that have a great voice quality but are out of tune and time This can be learn't and they can become great singers.
Then you have the people that are in time and tune but their voice is just tonally flat no matter how much they practise there voice just sounds bland.
If anyone should give up its these people. But who am I or anybody else for that matter to tell people to give it up. IMO I think the OP has a good tonal qualiy to his voice. This puts him into the could do better category rather than the give it up and take up jogging category.

Mr Cowell does this and justifies himself by saying that telling them now is kinder than letting them carry on under the illusion that one day they may get somewhere.

This is B.S as he only judges on what he see's as a quick earner on his label. He is qualified to to comment on what make s Hits he's been behind a couple. It makes for good T.V.. The same comments also make for lively debate on theads like this one.

To Quote the man again not word for word more in essance of what he said.
"I find it utterly wrong to insult or criticise someone that is not in a position to defend themselves, like shouting at a teenager working in a shop who could lose his job if he answers back" he then goes on to say that on his shows they're fair game and they can shout back if they like.

I know the OP asked if his songs were shit and whether or not he should trash them. In some respects he is asking to get comments that are unfavourable even if he would perhaps rather not have them. But a good idea, your mates will all say great stuff mate lets hear some more then go off and take the piss behind your back? But people that don't know you are more inclined to be honest even if they just take the piss? My advise is Suck it all up sort out fact from the B.S take what you want onboard and carry on.
awww can someone PLEASE start an ABBA sonwriting thread??
#85
14th April 2012
Old 14th April 2012
  #85
Gear interested
 
Joined: Oct 2010
Posts: 23

AnalogSignal is offline
musicmonster: I like your voice and singing. You are not going to make top 40 hits but I think you can be a credible indie artist. Many people who like weird stuff will be into this. But I think you should hook up with a musician/guitarist to co-write with to give your songs more structure. What I am hearing is good but also rambling and disorganized.

In short, I like it. Keep going!
Quote
1
#86
14th April 2012
Old 14th April 2012
  #86
Lives for gear
 
Lamster's Avatar
 
Joined: Jan 2012
Location: Southern England
Posts: 700

Lamster is offline
Quote:
Originally Posted by songwoman View Post
awww can someone PLEASE start an ABBA sonwriting thread??
OOOh NOOOO
I mentioned ABBA not because I Like them its that the 2 Girls were classicly trained opera singers One I think is a Contralto and the other a Soprano that give them about 4 octaves range. I saw something on the TV a while ago and they were talking about one of there songs and the were saying the vocal part was spread over 5 octaves. IMO This sort of goes into the same book as Ywagie Malsteen fantastic Skill and technique but songs that you really don't want to be listening too.
By the way what is there song that has a line that sound like
" when I called you last night from Tesco's"
Thinks it super Trouper?
And Also am I the only one that thinks that
On the road Again by canned heat sounds like its sung by Kermit the frog?
#87
14th April 2012
Old 14th April 2012
  #87
Gear interested
 
Joined: Apr 2012
Posts: 26

songwoman is offline
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lamster View Post
OOOh NOOOO
I mentioned ABBA not because I Like them its that the 2 Girls were classicly trained opera singers One I think is a Contralto and the other a Soprano that give them about 4 octaves range. I saw something on the TV a while ago and they were talking about one of there songs and the were saying the vocal part was spread over 5 octaves. IMO This sort of goes into the same book as Ywagie Malsteen fantastic Skill and technique but songs that you really don't want to be listening too.
By the way what is there song that has a line that sound like
" when I called you last night from Tesco's"
Thinks it super Trouper?
And Also am I the only one that thinks that
On the road Again by canned heat sounds like its sung by Kermit the frog?

Ok....I'll start the thread...I f u c k i n ' love ABBA!
#88
14th April 2012
Old 14th April 2012
  #88
Gear Head
 
mojomills's Avatar
 
Joined: Apr 2012
Location: Las Vegas, NV
Posts: 35

mojomills is offline
i downloaded and have been listening to your songs the last two days.
where can i find more?
and who is this mysterious musicmonster?
__________________
Jordan Mills
mojomills Soundcloud
#89
14th April 2012
Old 14th April 2012
  #89
Gear maniac
 
rnaple's Avatar
 
Joined: Oct 2011
Location: Rocky Mountains
Posts: 162

rnaple is offline
I'm bookmarking this thread for any time I need a good laugh.
You people simply want to rebell Simon Cowell.
You need Rod Serling!
rotflmao!
#90
14th April 2012
Old 14th April 2012
  #90
Gear doesn't kill people.
 
Joined: Apr 2006
Location: NY
Posts: 2,368

creegstor is online now
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lamster View Post
OOOh NOOOO
I mentioned ABBA not because I Like them its that the 2 Girls were classicly trained opera singers One I think is a Contralto and the other a Soprano that give them about 4 octaves range. I saw something on the TV a while ago and they were talking about one of there songs and the were saying the vocal part was spread over 5 octaves. IMO This sort of goes into the same book as Ywagie Malsteen fantastic Skill and technique but songs that you really don't want to be listening too.
By the way what is there song that has a line that sound like
" when I called you last night from Tesco's"
Thinks it super Trouper?
And Also am I the only one that thinks that
On the road Again by canned heat sounds like its sung by Kermit the frog?
Uh dude, for real? Benny and Bjorn are two of the greatest writers of the last century. Anyone who actually wants to be a great writer in the pop arena would (and should) want to listen to them.
__________________
'If you can't hear Freddie Green, you are too loud.'
Quote
1
New Reply Submit Thread to Facebook Facebook  Submit Thread to Twitter Twitter  Submit Thread to LinkedIn LinkedIn  Submit Thread to Google+ Google+ 
 
Thread Tools
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search
Similar Threads
Thread
Thread Starter / Forum
Replies
Kalara / Remote Possibilities in Acoustic Music & Location Recording
1
nerogtr / Remote Possibilities in Acoustic Music & Location Recording
7
el cochino / Live Sound
0
okavipra / So many guitars, so little time!
0
MASSIVE Master / Mastering forum
27

Forum Jump

SEO by vBSEO ©2011, Crawlability, Inc.