New Reply
Subscribe
Hoobert
16th March 2012
Old 16th March 2012
Gear Head

How does this fit in your life?

Hi all,

Every so often someone posts a broad topic that evokes some really interesting perspective sharing. I always enjoy reading these. I'm not sure if this fits this Forum but it's the best Forum fit I can find.

This is aimed primarily at those who build studios to record their own music. "Hobby" people I suppose. But not exclusively.

I've been playing rhythm guitar for thirty years, songwriting for that entire time with a very good friend. We began in college by recording onto one boom box and then playing and singing over that into another boom box. Two tracks! When four tracks came out we were in technological heaven. My friend sang and faked drums. I played guitar and faked bass. Hooky, "arty" pop was and is our love.

He and I formed bands. He and I were in different bands. I decided in my early thirties that I couldn't take the risk of going all out for a music career. I had a passion for social work as well as music so that's what I did. I sometimes grieve this decision terribly. Other times I feel it was probably the right one.

Now I'm a grand old man of fifty. Like many in their middle age I'm gathering the toys middle age men tend to gather. Not cars. Music equipment. But I'm not doing this because I'm trying to be young. I'm doing it because I continue to have the music compulsion. My collaborator lives in another city now. I can't really work with him anymore in a day-to-day fashion. Maybe that's good because it forces me to work on other aspects of songwriting.

My home studio is all about putting out a body of work while I can. I know if I reach a point in life when I can't do that anymore and I never DID do that I'd be depressed beyond words. I love making music. I'm not looking to make money. I'm not building a career. I'm doing what I did with my friend back in college when we sat with the two boom boxes. It's deeply satisfying and fun.

The music industry has changed. I'm wondering if there are a LOT of people like me now, if there's an imminent outpouring of CDs and MP3s from people who didn't go all out when they were younger and consequently never fully expressed their musical voice.

I'm curious to hear if my story resonates with others.

Hugh
Superior Drummer 2
Kontact 3
Firestudio Project
Adam A7s (no sub)
GIK Room Treatment
AT4033, AT2020, SM57s(2)
Fender Strat.
Boss GT10 FX Unit
Fender Tube Guitar Amp
Motif XS6
Basic E Drum Set for MIDI

The whole thing is a typewriter.
16th March 2012
Old 16th March 2012
Gear maniac

I've just always had a compulsion to create: short stories, novels, poetry, visual art, and most especially music. I'm not sure I'm all that good at any of it, it's just something I do. Honestly can't say why I do it, other than that it's therapy for me; I'm unhappy when I can't make music or work on some craft aspect related to it (playing/singing technique, writing strategies, recording approaches, etc.).

Recording my material is just an extension of that. For years, I did it with a cruddy 4-track cassette deck, then a cruddy piece of software, and now I use all outboard gear and a Tascam hard disc recorder. I share what I write with friends, get honest critiques, and try to improve.

I've long given up on the idea that I'll ever make back any of what I've put into this monetarily, or that I'll ever be anyone's favorite anything. I just have to do it for some reason. But all the time and energy is worth it when I get a genuine positive response to a piece I've written.
16th March 2012
Old 16th March 2012
Gear addict

It resonates. What you are describing is the story of the "journeyman"; musicians/songwriters who do it for the sheer joy of doing it and improving on their craft. It only stops when the body quits!
Hoobert
16th March 2012
Old 16th March 2012
Gear Head

Quote:
I've just always had a compulsion to create: short stories, novels, poetry, visual art, and most especially music.
- KenHR

Boy does THAT sound familiar, except for the visual art part. Never had a strong compulsion there. I also love your sharing with friends and striving to make your creative work better. Really nice.

Quote:
What you are describing is the story of the "journeyman"; musicians/songwriters who do it for the sheer joy of doing it and improving on their craft.
- rdstreets

What an incredibly affirming way to describe the experience.

Hugh
17th March 2012
Old 17th March 2012
Gear nut

Quote:
Originally Posted by rdstreets View Post
It resonates. What you are describing is the story of the "journeyman"; musicians/songwriters who do it for the sheer joy of doing it and improving on their craft. It only stops when the body quits!
very nicely put. and the OP's question absolutely resonates - i've built a ridiculously well equiped studio so i can record my own songwriting, for which i doubt i'll ever make a penny. but it gives me as much pleasure (i believe) as the ski trips or greens fees or the boats and docking fees other people of my generation are 'wasting' their money on.
Hoobert
17th March 2012
Old 17th March 2012
Gear Head

Thought I'd link to a couple of "journeyman" rough mix songs from the CD I'm working on. Love to hear others from this thread. My plan is to mix the CD myself. Right now I'm about six songs into it. Takes me a long time to work through a song. I go back and forth on mastering. Much of the fun of having a home studio is learning to do new things. But I put a lot of work into the songs I record and I do want a nice end product. With these mixes there's no compression, eq, etc. Just the raw performances and some panning here and there.

Tried to upload but ran into security key problems. I don't know why. That's why I just have the Soundcloud links. Good Pie will probably fade out. A Successful Marriage includes some lyric ideas from my 8 year old daughter that made me laugh.

Good Pie

A Successful Marriage

Hugh
22nd March 2012
Old 22nd March 2012
Gear maniac

I can understand. What I have started to put together I like to think of as a music room. A place where I can record decently.

I've come to the game later in life. Doesn't matter. I enjoy it. Was good at music as a kid. Didn't pursue it.
Strong point is lyrics. Have always viewed things from a different point of view than everyone else.
It's about the enjoyment of creating music. Can't help but be creative. It all makes me young. Listening, learning, creating....enjoying.
22nd March 2012
Old 22nd March 2012
Gear Head

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hoobert View Post
Now I'm a grand old man of fifty. Like many in their middle age I'm gathering the toys middle age men tend to gather. Not cars. Music equipment. But I'm not doing this because I'm trying to be young. I'm doing it because I continue to have the music compulsion.
You have succeeded - in creating an interesting thread that provokes thought, reminiscing and hope...

I just turned 50 myself and like you have been playing music all my life (guitarist/singer/songwriter). I've played in bands made some money (not enough to support the wife and kids) and have had a wonderful "career". I have, however, given up the notion that I'll ever be a rock star. Yet, my friends and I continue to make and record music, original music.

We are actually at a stage where we look at each other and ask what do we do with it? It seems a shame to record it and then put it in a drawer. None of us wants to "play out" because of the constraints of real-life but just like you we have the everlasting compulsion to play and create. Not a bad problem really... We are proud of what we've created - what next? What do you do with the music you record?

Anyone, anyone, Bueller...
-J.
22nd March 2012
Old 22nd March 2012
-J.
Gear interested

The people who achieve huge success in music would be here saying the same things as you guys if they hadn’t got lucky because hard work and talent are only part of the picture. Without the lucky break they would have been forced to maintain that day job, putting music aside more often to take care of more pressing matters, and time would have slipped passed them just as it did passed you. They’d still play, when they could, and would have small home studios where they recorded tunes for their own enjoyment. Not everyone can be in the right place at the right time with the right song and the right connections to blow up something fierce. I’m not saying you’re beating yourself up, but: don’t ever beat yourself up because you didn’t win the musical lottery.
Hoobert
22nd March 2012
Old 22nd March 2012
Gear Head

Hey J thanks.

But I'm not mourning a big music career as such, meaning I don't feel rejected. I didn't go all out to pursue one. I have great admiration for those who did. I got to a point in life where I would either go all out or not. I chose not. The random quality of who makes it and who doesn't was part of my decision-making. Fear was another. I have the compulsion to make music. "Making it" felt like a fun idea but I never had the compulsion to be famous really. I do sometimes grieve my choice because I would have made more music than I do and the gigging band life remains iconic to me. But the gigging band life can also be really difficult. I suffer from horrible stage fright. I began each gig with an anxiety attack. Pure terror. My life as it is I good. I'm a social worker and for the most part I like what I do. But I do very much want to have music in the world.

As to what I do with the music I record? A band I am still kind of in (two of us live in Arizona and two on the east coast) put out a CD three years ago. Took us years to make it because of the distance. We got played on various podcasts and one of our songs made #3 on the Tourdates UK unsigned song top 40 chart. Great fun for the ego but not much else. We couldn't gig because of logistics. Too bad. Would have helped a lot. I work with these folks because I like the music we make together and I like the experience. They're creative AND nice people. I don't have the drive to form a whole new local band. Like finding a group of compatible lovers. Ugh. Difficult.

With the CD I'm working on I really don't know. I'll submit to Podcast Alley and such sites and have it up through CD Baby so it's on ITunes, etc. Maybe I'll make a site that houses the CD and also serves as a platform for writer friends. Hopefully next steps will appear. We'll see. What do others do?

Hugh

Sent from my SPH-D700 using Gearslutz App
23rd March 2012
Old 23rd March 2012
has all the gear he needs

I am a grand old man of sixty......

Your story resonates with me big time. I put my studio together just to record my material. I just felt a huge desire to get it out to anybody who would listen. My goal was...and is...to get to the point where my engineering skills were good enough that my music would be listenable.

Now I spend every available hour in here.

I put my stuff out on a hosting site for any and all to stream and download. Feels like I have finally connected with my music after all these years.

Leonard Scaper
23rd March 2012
Old 23rd March 2012
Lives for gear

I'm 31 and have a father and uncle who are in their early 60s and have each recorded their own projects over the past 10 years, both at home and in studio.

Finding an audience is hard enough for 20-somethings who are plugged into a scene and are making music that is fashionable. You definitely just have to do it for the love of writing and recording. Young folks are into different sounds and most baby boomers just listen to NPR, or the latest album from their favorite surviving 60s and 70s artists. Perhaps someone should set up a little mutual listening/feedback community for home recordists who are getting their second wind.
24th March 2012
Old 24th March 2012
Gear interested

This thread is awesome! You guys are my heroes!
24th March 2012
Old 24th March 2012
Gear nut

Oh yes, Hugh. Plenty of us. It was in my early twenties that I almost 'forgot' I was musical while a career (of sorts) and a family became my life. When the career waned like the tail of a long reverb, the family nest emptied, and my peculiar midlife crisis was over, the creative musical spark re-ignited. I joined a rock band and picked up my little 'So what is MIDI?' booklet with full attention again just a few years ago. Now, creating music is one of the few things that makes huge and obvious sense now. Bring things to life. Make things grow. Polish them till they shine. And try to pass on the passion before we're all stardust
24th March 2012
Old 24th March 2012
Gear addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by jdsowa View Post
Young folks are into different sounds and most baby boomers just listen to NPR, or the latest album from their favorite surviving 60s and 70s artists. Perhaps someone should set up a little mutual listening/feedback community for home recordists who are getting their second wind.
Sorry, but this generalization makes me sick.

Sure, a lot of boomers are listening to that stuff, but they were the ones listening to the AM garbage back in the day. They're boring. There's lots of boring younger people too, and their favourite music isn't exactly inspirational/artistic/creative either.

Not all boomers (and young people for that matter) are like that. I'm 51 and all the stuff I listen to is by newer artists. And my kids borrow CDs from me, not the other way around.

End of rant. Time for my nap.
25th March 2012
Old 25th March 2012
Gear interested

Quote:
Not all boomers (and young people for that matter) are like that. I'm 51 and all the stuff I listen to is by newer artists. And my kids borrow CDs from me, not the other way around.
LOL! There is certain truth in this. My father who has just turned 60 was stealing my goa-trance cds from 13 years ago and putting in on in the garage whilst working on his woodwork. A love of music is a love of music - no genre / age / stereotype etc.. will ever divide what people truly enjoy listening to.

Love the thread :-)
6th April 2012
Old 6th April 2012
Gear addict

I think that fits me like a glove. The older I get the more important the music becomes to me. It is not about making money at it, however, to put out good product requires some outlay of cash. Be that in a home studio, paying studio musicians, mixing, mastering, duplication, gas to get to the gig and so on. Nice to know that someone might like what you do enough to spring $10 for a CD or .99 for a download.

But the big reason why I do it is because I feel I have something to say now and it is what I will leave behind after I am "Dust in the Wind".

-Gary

PS: I am always on the hunt for new music that strikes a chord. It is not very easy to find but it does exist. I don't like main stream music much. If I am going to spend money on music it is most of the time with an indie artist.
10th April 2012
Old 10th April 2012
Gear Head

Quote:
But the big reason why I do it is because I feel I have something to say now and it is what I will leave behind after I am "Dust in the Wind".
I think one's enhanced awareness of mortality is a really good source for material. Pop/rock music forms ought to be able to mine it with a fun adolescent passion, since that awareness is fundamentally about rage, fear and longing. Pop/rock goes after those feelings really, really well after all.

Because I'm in this for the long haul (long as I have anyway) and not working to build an income as such, I also want to enjoy the learning of mixing and maybe even mastering. These amazing art forms are additional, critical instruments. I'd love to learn how to play them.

Hugh
New Reply Submit Thread to Facebook Facebook  Submit Thread to Twitter Twitter  Submit Thread to LinkedIn LinkedIn  Submit Thread to Google+ Google+ 

Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search