Originally Posted by StratMan2604
Hey guys, in a bit of a strop atm but I still want to continue recording my own stuff. What kind of stuff can I do? Is there anything I can do tht I can build on at a later point maybe?
1) Don't use the instrument that you usually write with. Use something else.
2) Grab some drum loops and sing over them. Record. Listen to what you recorded for nuggets.
3) Write something bawdy in 5 minutes before you start the serious stuff. Write the dirtiest, filthiest lyrics imaginable just to amuse yourself to warm up.
4) Learn a Brazilian song. They typically use chords and changes that folks in the US / Europe don't (I'm assuming you aren't Brazilian!)
5) If you are a guitar player, learn Travis picking. There are lots of good variations, too.
6) Is there a style of music you've always liked but have never tried to play? Mess around with it.
7) Eno - Oblique Strategies cards.