Music psychology - earworms
infiniteloop
6th March 2012
Old 6th March 2012
Gear Head

Music psychology - earworms

So have you got earworms?
I certainly have, got up this morning and MJ's Liberian Girl's been non-stop playing

Quote:
Williamson experienced this recently herself, when she was in her office and noticed an old shoebox.

"It's from a shop called Faith," she says. "And just by reading the word 'Faith', my memory went down a line of dominoes and eventually reached the song 'Faith' by George Michael. And then he was in my head for the rest of the afternoon." She has now removed that shoe box from her office.
LOL, I'm not surprised

BBC News - Earworms: Why songs get stuck in our heads
6th March 2012
Old 6th March 2012
Gear addict

I've now got Faith playing in my head.
6th March 2012
Old 6th March 2012
Lives for gear

I get songs stuck in my head when I'm learning them (covers) or working on them (originals). Right now I've been working on a few covers to do solo and I've got the following bouncing around. But they're good songs so I don't mind.

Stuck in a Moment
Don't Fear the Reaper
Such Great Heights
She's Not There

I don't listen to commercial radio so I'm probably less vulnerable than most.
6th March 2012
Old 6th March 2012
Gear addict

I've had the final countdown stuck in my head since 1980.
6th March 2012
Old 6th March 2012
Gear doesn't kill people.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dbas View Post
I've had the final countdown stuck in my head since 1980.
Lol. That really is a good earworm then as it only came out in '86!
6th March 2012
Old 6th March 2012
Lives for gear

6th March 2012
Old 6th March 2012
Lives for gear

sometimes it just takes vowel sounds.

from 1999... at your own risk

6th March 2012
Old 6th March 2012
Lives for gear

I've discovered an interesting songwriting trick revolving around earworms. Often at night I'll have a song stuck in my head all night and every time I wake up it's still there running over and over. Often stretching into the next morning as I take my shower, etc. It's usually the last song I listened to before I went to bed, and it gets particularly bad if I was something I was playing and singing along with.

I keep a playlist of songs to use as inspiration (ok, songs that I want to rip off) but they just kind of sit there and I usually don't remember to actually try to write new songs based on them. Or if I do it doesn't work very well. But a while back, one morning this song came into my head and I recorded it really quickly, then I realized that it was similar in feeling to a song that was on my list of stuff to copy and that it had been the last thing I had listened to the night before.

So now I'm trying to be more conscious about what I listen to before I go to bed. I figure that I can actually absorb the song through the night and learn from it, so I should intentionally pick things I want to learn from rather than accidentally getting something stuck in my brain by chance.
6th March 2012
Old 6th March 2012
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search