Old 15th February 2012
Gear nut

Selling Songs?

Does anyone know of any good places on the internet to sell songs? I have a lot of pop songs written that are really no use to me (I'm a lousy singer) that I feel upcoming singers may be interested in having.

Most of them full songs (with me singing everything autotuned to get the point across) and some of them just hooks that I can finish.

Anything from forums to people to get in contact with would help.
Old 18th February 2012
Gear maniac
I don't think people really buy songs. i think in your position that you would like artists to record your songs and if they record them and sell CDs/downloads or get airplay, you would get income as the writer of the song. Of course you would have to join a PRO to collect.
Old 19th February 2012
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by Frank_Case View Post
In general it works like this...

Record companies don't buy songs from unknown songwriters. But they will buy songs from an established music publishing company that uses unknown writers whom the publishing firm feel are commercially viable.
Actually they don't buy songs, they just release them, but otherwise this is true.

Quote:
The sad fact is that many songwriters think their stuff is as good as the best but in reality most songs written are mediocre... ...But if your stuff is great, go for it.
Well said.

Quote:

Don't just make demos, but make great demos...
Very important point. Demos have to be "radio ready".
Old 19th February 2012
Lives for gear

Also, you are not going to sell a 'hook that you can finish'.

Songs need to be entirely complete, written and recorded to a professional standard.
Old 19th February 2012
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by pinkheadedbug View Post
Also, you are not going to sell a 'hook that you can finish'.

Songs need to be entirely complete, written and recorded to a professional standard.
Exception: It's common that they search for tracks with hooks for rappers and such.
Old 20th February 2012
Gear interested

Thanks, this was a useful thread to read. I've been wondering how to go in this direction for a while. A good amount of advice is always much appreciated
Old 26th February 2012
Gear interested

Im in a similar position. Im curious what you would do once you have "radio ready" demos recorded. Send them to A&R reps? Reachout to artists/their management directly? Seek out my own management?
Old 27th February 2012
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by iamtbone View Post
Im in a similar position. Im curious what you would do once you have "radio ready" demos recorded. Send them to A&R reps? Reachout to artists/their management directly? Seek out my own management?
Reachout to artists? Does it seem worth it to start a publishing company? I always thought an attourney was necessary to make contact and pitch but now I am thinking with some Publishing Co. Letterhead an artist could channel their music easier to ears that might hear it. In any case Music 180 looks great because you can speak with industry pros.
Old 27th February 2012
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by iamtbone View Post
Usually, send them to publishers and try to make a publishing deal. If you already have good contacts to A&R's, artists and managers start your own publishing business.
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search