February challenge - i iv v
Old 6th February 2012
Lives for gear

February challenge - I IV V

Okay, apropos of absolutely nothing and with no authority but my own -- I give you your challenge for February. It is to write/record a song with the I IV V* sequence appearing somewhere in it. The most boring sequence imaginable (we'll get to more interesting sequences in future months).

Post your songs in this thread.

*I IV V means the tonic, subdominant and dominant, for example C F G in the key of C, or G C D in the key of G. 1 4 5 in Nashville speak.
Old 6th February 2012
Banned

That's quite the challenge for any songwriter, known or unknown. Since the pattern has been done so much, navigating and finding a uniquely memorable melodic sequence *above* the cliche chord pattern would take some imagination, skill, inspiration or maybe even some luck.
Old 7th February 2012
Gear interested

Quote:
February challenge - i iv v
That looks like a minor 1, 4, 5 challenge --- or 1- 4- 5- in Nashville.
Old 7th February 2012
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kevin_Emmrich View Post
That looks like a minor 1, 4, 5 challenge --- or 1- 4- 5- in Nashville.
Yeah, I noticed that too! Too many beers, probably. I'll edit it.
Old 7th February 2012
Gear maniac

It's not as easy as I thought it was going to be. I am getting bored of this progression now and after playing it for the fourteen hundredth time today the only meaningful thing I have come up with is a fourth verse for "Running to stand still" (she dies in the end btw).

I have never tried to write a song using I - IV - V, it always felt so lazy. I know now that it is anything but lazy if anyone manages to write something that sounds original.
Old 8th February 2012
Lives for gear

There's nothing to say that you can't add some whacky chords BEFORE or AFTER the I IV V...
Old 14th February 2012
Gear nut

I'm a joker, I'm a smoker, I'm a midnight toker, playing music in the sun....
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search