Login / Register

Post your "finished" demos here
New Reply
Subscribe
Blast9
6th January 2012
Old 6th January 2012

Post your "finished" demos here

a 'finished' demo thread which would include comments on performance. This would be for demos which are intended to go to publishers etc... Thanks for the idea pinkheadedbug
::
twitter > http://twitter.com/mitchellmusic - http://www.twitter.com/theyardbirds
6th January 2012
Old 6th January 2012
Lives for gear

http://www.onlineacoustics.com - Acoustics !

http://www.mel-music.com
- project of mine with a female singer

http://www.sonicflames.com - Indie Label & Audio/Music Services

http://www.spinousmusic.com
- my one man band project
6th January 2012
Old 6th January 2012
Gear Head

Nice tune Andrebrito. I liked the transition to the vocal section, nice atmosphere.

My song is in my signature, newly finished and mastered.
6th January 2012
Old 6th January 2012
Lives for gear

6th January 2012
Old 6th January 2012
Gear Head

7th January 2012
Old 7th January 2012
Gear Head

Send a message via Skype™ to TaiwanGuy
Here's something a little different. I do film score composing. This is not a demo per se, but is a track I did for a short film you can see here. The filmmaker added sound effects, but did a rather poor job of mixing so they end up covering up my music. This version doesn't have the sound effects so you guys can listen (and critique) the music.

Transformers_music - YouTube

and here is the music cue by itself.

http://soundcloud.com/taiwanguy/lego-transformers
7th January 2012
Old 7th January 2012
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by TaiwanGuy View Post
Here's something a little different. I do film score composing. This is not a demo per se, but is a track I did for a short film you can see here. The filmmaker added sound effects, but did a rather poor job of mixing so they end up covering up my music. This version doesn't have the sound effects so you guys can listen (and critique) the music.

Can you upload a clean file of the cue to Soundcloud? I use film composers sometimes.
7th January 2012
Old 7th January 2012
Gear Head

Quote:
Originally Posted by pinkheadedbug View Post
Can you upload a clean file of the cue to Soundcloud? I use film composers sometimes.
i just added it above.

there are some other tracks that i have done on my soundcloud page as well.
7th January 2012
Old 7th January 2012
Lives for gear

Thanks -- will listen.
8th January 2012
Old 8th January 2012
Gear maniac

Quote:

and here is the music cue by itself.

http://soundcloud.com/taiwanguy/lego-transformers
Wow.

This is where I close down Logic Pro and go outside for a smoke. I have spent all day working on a strings part for a song, I even got carried away thinking it sounded pretty decent.

Just wow.
8th January 2012
Old 8th January 2012
Gear maniac

9th January 2012
Old 9th January 2012
Gear Head

Quote:
Originally Posted by Murphster View Post
Wow.

This is where I close down Logic Pro and go outside for a smoke. I have spent all day working on a strings part for a song, I even got carried away thinking it sounded pretty decent.

Just wow.
Thanks. Just keep working at it. You'll be surprised at how much you improve if you just keep writing. I started out just a year and a half ago and the results were pretty laughable, but with a little persistence, I am now getting a fair number of cases to work on.
10th January 2012
Old 10th January 2012
Kills for gear

Quote:
Thanks. Just keep working at it. You'll be surprised at how much you improve if you just keep writing. I started out just a year and a half ago and the results were pretty laughable, but with a little persistence, I am now getting a fair number of cases to work on.
It's definitely all about the 10,000 hours for mastery. I like that you rely on rhythm for your motif, too many people rely on melody, which is strong, but people definitely recognize a rhythmic hook and phrasing on a more primal level.
Good stuff!

I'm shipping some tracks off in a week, finally finished all the stuff that comes before the final mix. My biggest challenge was getting 10 distinct 1 minute songs that are loopable and remain in the same vein without over using synth sounds or melodies. I opted for the same guitar sound more or less on all tracks, but from there all bets are off. Here's a few samples.

Song 1
Song 2
11th January 2012
Old 11th January 2012
11th January 2012
Old 11th January 2012
Gear Guru

andrebrito -- I liked the minimal intro. Once the song kicks in, it kind of comes in full bloom and then stays in that groove for a fairly long time save for the breakdown, then the groove picks back up and the last section is even longer than the first. I couldn't help but think more change-ups and switch-ups in the arrangement would help give more of a feel of progression (not the chord kind, the getting somewhere kind) through the course of the song. As it is, it feels a bit static.

If I were mixing this song, I think I'd be looking for things to pull out in different sections and then put back in in others to build and release tension through the song. I'm a great believer in 'subtractive arrangement.

Now, when giving feedback/critique, I usually don't comment on lyrics unless they're posted somewhere, so maybe you need the full near-6 minutes to 'tell the song's story'... but, groove-wise, I'm feeling like maybe the song really wants to end in the 4-1/2 minute range -- and, actually, I notice the second time through that the lyrics are more or less over in that general time frame, anyhow -- now, to be sure, the groove is attractive and the outro makes a graceful exit, but, for me, a pop song has to have some pretty compelling reasons to keep listening once it goes past the 3.5-4 minute mark.

Anyway, that aside, very nicely done!

bran12081 -- I like the flow, I like the delivery. The familiar folk-rock context is nicely executed (although the sound here is a little indistinct/veiled on acoustic guitar and drums kit, but, of course, SoundCloud streams are limited to 128 bkps). The chorus gives a nice little bump to the momentum when it comes in. The vocals are nicely done. (Again, I don't comment on lyrics unless they're posted, as a rule, but no glaring 'problems' stuck out on that front.) The 'trick' ending -- a cold stop on the last word of the song, stop -- is a bit 'clever' but also a cleverness that others have hit on before (including one of my own songs, come to think of it ) but I'm not sure at all that's a problem, really. Still, it's something that struck me. (Maybe because I've made the same move myself.) Very nice.

pinkheadebug -- I did catch some of these lyrics -- your arrangement did a pretty good job of giving space to the important lyrical bits -- and I was struck by the poignancy of the situation -- and particularly by the lyrical twist of the knife on Valentine's Day. And, like I said, your music and arrangement served the lyric well. A really good job, I'd say!
11th January 2012
Old 11th January 2012
Taking Down your Network

Seems like I'm always behind the curve... this one's been floating around in my trunk for two years; only comes out at Christmas.
Audio quality is iffy, as are some performance elements; I don't care, and I don't think I could catch that same vibe on a vocal re-take. Something seemed right, even with the flaws. It's also one of the few songs I've written that I felt actually had something worth saying in the lyric and music.
I'd love to hear any input on the writing and arrangement.

http://soundcloud.com/boschen/christmastime

Noel....
11th January 2012
Old 11th January 2012
Gear Head

Quote:
Originally Posted by theblue1 View Post
bran12081 -- I like the flow, I like the delivery. The familiar folk-rock context is nicely executed (although the sound here is a little indistinct/veiled on acoustic guitar and drums kit, but, of course, SoundCloud streams are limited to 128 bkps). The chorus gives a nice little bump to the momentum when it comes in. The vocals are nicely done. (Again, I don't comment on lyrics unless they're posted, as a rule, but no glaring 'problems' stuck out on that front.) The 'trick' ending -- a cold stop on the last word of the song, stop -- is a bit 'clever' but also a cleverness that others have hit on before (including one of my own songs, come to think of it ) but I'm not sure at all that's a problem, really. Still, it's something that struck me. (Maybe because I've made the same move myself.) Very nice.
I appreciate the listen and the feedback Blue. I hear you on the "stop", I felt the same way, but it just felt right, lol.
11th January 2012
Old 11th January 2012
Gear Head

Quote:
Originally Posted by Boschen View Post
Seems like I'm always behind the curve... this one's been floating around in my trunk for two years; only comes out at Christmas.
Audio quality is iffy, as are some performance elements; I don't care, and I don't think I could catch that same vibe on a vocal re-take. Something seemed right, even with the flaws. It's also one of the few songs I've written that I felt actually had something worth saying in the lyric and music.
I'd love to hear any input on the writing and arrangement.

http://soundcloud.com/boschen/christmastime

Noel....
I like the feel of the song. I always like Christmas songs that aren't overtly Christmas throughout the whole thing. nice job. Only personal opinion as I don't know if these idea fit with your goals for the tune, but I will give them nonetheless. I think the 3 rhyme then non-rhyme feels like to much rhyming up front, because whenever you get to the non-rhyming part, I dig the difference. I am not one of the these lyric non-rhyme snobs, I sometimes rhyme way too much and then go back and think how I can tone it down and maybe tell the story better. Also, if it were me, I would try to build it up a little more, not crazy dynamic, but maybe just little touches of difference as you build to the finale, something sonically that keeps you rollin' to the end and keeps the same feel you have. Nice song.

- Brandon
12th January 2012
Old 12th January 2012
Taking Down your Network

Thanks for the comments, Bran!

I went back and forth with that rhyming structure from the get go... this arrangement was the one that hung together best--sometimes you find a structure, but then you can't fit the lyrics to it, you know? This was one of those.

BTW, I gave a listen to your music, Bran; very nice work! The track builds to that layer of vocal; very clean and tight. Good doubling vocal too; sounds like you in the back too. I notice you are making good production choices with minimal instrumentation, building dynamic tension, dropping it back a peg... You follow your own advice well, lol....
12th January 2012
Old 12th January 2012
Gear Head

Quote:
Originally Posted by Boschen View Post
Thanks for the comments, Bran!

I went back and forth with that rhyming structure from the get go... this arrangement was the one that hung together best--sometimes you find a structure, but then you can't fit the lyrics to it, you know? This was one of those.

BTW, I gave a listen to your music, Bran; very nice work! The track builds to that layer of vocal; very clean and tight. Good doubling vocal too; sounds like you in the back too. I notice you are making good production choices with minimal instrumentation, building dynamic tension, dropping it back a peg... You follow your own advice well, lol....
Cool, Yea, I hear you on the rhyming scheme. Sometimes something just works with the story.

Thanks for the listen, yea that's me in the background vox struggling to hit the high notes lol...
12th January 2012
Old 12th January 2012
Gear Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by bran12081 View Post
I appreciate the listen and the feedback Blue. I hear you on the "stop", I felt the same way, but it just felt right, lol.
That's my philosophy, too. If if feels like that's "what the song wants," then that's what I do. And, I have to say, that sudden silence is like a vacuum that draws the memory of the song into it, which is kind of a neat effect. If that makes any sense.
12th January 2012
Old 12th January 2012
Lives for gear

13th January 2012
Old 13th January 2012
Gear Head

Quote:
That's my philosophy, too. If if feels like that's "what the song wants," then that's what I do. And, I have to say, that sudden silence is like a vacuum that draws the memory of the song into it, which is kind of a neat effect. If that makes any sense.
I can dig it
14th January 2012
Old 14th January 2012
Gear interested

This is the latest track i've been working on... i did think it was "finished" but i listened to it again yesterday and think it might need a bit extra. Not sure though. Any insight appreciated!

http://soundcloud.com/lastpariah/forgeticus

(got to pull the subdrop down a little :/ )
15th January 2012
Old 15th January 2012
Lives for gear

This is as close to finished as I've been able to get this track.

It's meant to be a sort of modern version of the epic sixties wall-of-sound kind of thing, Dusty Springfield meets The Lovin' Spoonful I guess (with a bit of Herman's Hermits if you listen carfully, plus some Monkees). The main piano is a double speed Mellotron sample, plus there's a ton of guitars in there, close to a dozen backing vocals, glockenspiel, four part horn section and even an orchestral harp at one point! Was a lot of fun to do.

http://soundcloud.com/sportswriters/town-with-no-pity-final-mix
15th January 2012
Old 15th January 2012
has all the gear he needs

Quote:
Dusty Springfield meets The Lovin' Spoonful I guess (with a bit of Herman's Hermits if you listen carfully, plus some Monkees).
I love it!

Quote:
Originally Posted by coyotekells View Post
Female urban pop..
Very cool.

Quote:
Originally Posted by bran12081 View Post
My song is in my signature, newly finished and mastered.
Nice song......I was glad to hear those harmonies come in there at around 3:30 or so.

Quote:
I have to say, that sudden silence is like a vacuum that draws the memory of the song into it, which is kind of a neat effect. If that makes any sense.
I love that idea....might just give it a try.

Leonard Scaper
16th January 2012
Old 16th January 2012
Lives for gear

Quote:
This is as close to finished as I've been able to get this track.

It's meant to be a sort of modern version of the epic sixties wall-of-sound kind of thing, Dusty Springfield meets The Lovin' Spoonful I guess (with a bit of Herman's Hermits if you listen carfully, plus some Monkees). The main piano is a double speed Mellotron sample, plus there's a ton of guitars in there, close to a dozen backing vocals, glockenspiel, four part horn section and even an orchestral harp at one point! Was a lot of fun to do.

http://soundcloud.com/sportswriters/town-with-no-pity-final-mix
Badass track! The only thing that didn't hold up is the midi trumpet solo in the break. This type of track has to feel organic. My $.02
16th January 2012
Old 16th January 2012
Lives for gear

16th January 2012
Old 16th January 2012
Gear interested

16th January 2012
Old 16th January 2012
Gear interested

Last edited by Zimrok; 16th January 2012 at 06:50 PM.. Reason: more links
New Reply Submit Thread to Facebook Facebook  Submit Thread to Twitter Twitter  Submit Thread to LinkedIn LinkedIn  Submit Thread to Google+ Google+ 

Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search