Old 16th June 2014
Old 16th June 2014
Gear interested

Old 17th June 2014
Gear interested

Old 18th June 2014
Old 18th June 2014
has all the gear he needs

I've been posting on this thread pretty much from the beginning. I have listened to at least a part of almost everything that has been posted.....pretty much in amazement at how diverse the music is these days.

I'll admit that my taste runs toward real instruments and kind of away from electronic music.......although I did enjoy some of what I just listened to from the last two pages. I like hearing guitars, sometimes loud electric ones (some good electric guitar stuff in these last two pages) and I have been learning a lot from listening to the new country stuff like the cowboycoalminer thing on the last page.

I like hearing new approaches....eclectic is good....

The way I figure it....I'm 62 years old now and been playing guitar since I was 12......I guess I'm allowed to be fussy.

Anyway....two points to this little ramble.......

one....it's amazing how diverse these pages still are....

...and two.....I'm seeing a lot of posting. I hope all of you are listening as well.

Here's my new one.

Zen And The Art Of Survival
Old 18th June 2014
Gear interested

Hi all, a little nervous about posting this I must say.

As of late I wanted to take music composing/production as a serious career choice so I thought I would try harder in my spare time.

So far I've not been 100% happy with my work, I dunno if I'm being hard on myself but that's how I feel. I do also feel like my work is getting slightly better each time but maybe that's just a side effect of getting things out.

Anyways, here's my last troublesome piece; a sort of film score:

https://soundcloud.com/moecats/the-sting

I got a bit of writers block on this one, barely touched it in over a month. Then last night it just sort of clicked and I wrote an extra 2/3 minutes!

Sorry I'm waffling.

I'd like some critique please, both the composition and the production. I have no real ear for this but it annoys me when I listen to inspiring soundtracks and it doesn't sound up to par with them. Like there's no life in my mix?

Sorry for all the text, have a good day!
Old 21st June 2014
Gear interested

Quote:
Originally Posted by Unclenny View Post
I've been posting on this thread pretty much from the beginning. I have listened to at least a part of almost everything that has been posted.....pretty much in amazement at how diverse the music is these days.

I'll admit that my taste runs toward real instruments and kind of away from electronic music.......although I did enjoy some of what I just listened to from the last two pages. I like hearing guitars, sometimes loud electric ones (some good electric guitar stuff in these last two pages) and I have been learning a lot from listening to the new country stuff like the cowboycoalminer thing on the last page.

The way I figure it....I'm 62 years old now and been playing guitar since I was 12......I guess I'm allowed to be fussy.

...and two.....I'm seeing a lot of posting. I hope all of you are listening as well.

Here's my new one.

I like the peaceful feeling of the song. Guitars are great - the elements which are not in balance, I think, are the electric piano (?) and the drums. Piano is too much up and the drums should be more precise/steady.
Old 22nd June 2014

Quote:
Originally Posted by N. Wald View Post
the elements which are not in balance, I think, are the electric piano (?) and the drums. Piano is too much up and the drums should be more precise/steady.
Excellent...thanks for that.

I'm not much of a drummer so I generally steer clear of them, but......yeah.

Not much of a pianist either, for that matter but I was in a rut and thought I might start this one with the piano instead of acoustic guitar

Working on another in the same vein (piano first) so your comments are perfect.
Old 22nd June 2014
Gear interested

Arrow

Hey guys, just uploaded, hope you like it...

- Clavia Nord Lead 2 (Plucks),
- Roland JP-8080 (SuperSaw),
- FL Studio's 3XOSC (Bassline)
- Zoom MS-70CDR MultiStomp (Reverb, Delays, EQ'ing)

https://soundcloud.com/gokosoul-demos/id-1
Old 23rd June 2014
Gear interested
Only bass with drums

Old 26th June 2014
Gear interested

Old 27th June 2014
aiden around six minutes when it's super compressed I imagine seeing it on a suspenseful movie during a monumental change for the main character. very original and envelope pushing.
Old 28th June 2014
Gear interested

Thanks for the feedback Monty

I wrote that last part of the song to be a bit more of an uplifting contrast to the rest of the song which is really moody and dark, so I'm really glad you picked up on that change.

Thanks again for the comments.

Old 29th June 2014
Gear nut

I decided to take a stab at doing an orchestral piece, using Pro Tools 11 and the soundset from Komplete 9 Ultimate. Has a little bit of electronic percussion (can't help it).

Old Man and the Sea
Old 30th June 2014
Old 30th June 2014
Lives for gear

I've been checking in from time to time and fellas, it all sounds great but, I sure would like to hear a little more cowbell...
Old 30th June 2014
Gear interested

Old 30th June 2014

Quote:
Originally Posted by cowboycoalminer View Post
I've been checking in from time to time and fellas, it all sounds great but, I sure would like to hear a little more cowbell...
I tried to write a country tune this time.......came out a bit different.

A Little Bit Harder
Old 1st July 2014
Lives for gear

Old 1st July 2014

Old 1st July 2014
Gear interested

hello all,
i am new here and thought i'd take a minute to post a song i have been working on and this is the "finished" product - but are they ever really finished?
let me know what you think if you get a moment....
https://soundcloud.com/jay-sachtjen/its-our-life
jay
Old 1st July 2014

Quote:
Originally Posted by sachtjen101 View Post
let me know what you think if you get a moment....
Wonderful vocals.

Old 2nd July 2014
Gear addict

The latest track I've done (in sig) sort of indie/alternative dance/electronic. Still getting used to the new mic I purchased, been using a dynamic forever
Old 2nd July 2014
Gear Head

Quote:
Originally Posted by aaronsmith View Post
this one is done, upbeat indie rock track,
I Love Indie Internet Radio - Viladomat, performed by Le From
I like the song. I'm no expert but this is what comes to mind when I listen to it.

1) I think the vocals are sometimes getting a bit lost in the mix. Maybe bring them forward a bit.

2) I would also suggest a bridge or a "restart". By "restart" I mean a point (maybe 2/3rds into the song) where the song winds down and then starts back up - to add drama. The current version winds down at the end. You could use this last part (or something like it) to wind it down in the middle. I see it winding down to silence. Then one strong vocal "Don't you tear yourself down". Then it starts up strong again.

...My 2 cents.
Old 2nd July 2014
Gear Head

Quote:
Originally Posted by Unclenny View Post

Here's my new one.

Since I joined this forum I've listened to many of your songs. I like them all. Very smooth - they put me in a good mood. So to for "Zen And The Art Of Survival".

However, of your songs my favorite is "Carry Me"!
Click here to play "Carry Me"

I also like "Five Times".
Click here to play "Five Times"
Old 2nd July 2014

Sincere thanks, Doug, for those kind words. For an old songwriter like me to hear that some of my work is actually connecting is....better music than anything.

That 'Carry Me' tune is one that I always play now. It came in a much different way than most. I sat down on the deck with my 1969 Stella on a Sunday afternoon a couple of years ago and....just played that song. After stumbling through the emerging lyrics for just a bit I went in the the studio and tracked it in one take.

I keep saying that I am going to re-record it with better production, knowing that I never will.

Old 4th July 2014
Gear interested

Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search