Post your "finished" demos here
2nd May 2012
Old 2nd May 2012
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by Unclenny View Post
Another good one.......but......with no disrespect to your co-writer, I like how your own lyrics work in your tunes a bit better.

Ironically Ronnie Milsap put it on hold today

So who knows what's gonna hit someone?
2nd May 2012
Old 2nd May 2012
Gear interested

Unclenny,

thanks for the listen even though it wasn't your genre! I posted it to improve my audio engineering skill set. I've never taken a class in audio, so I try to get better by posting to forums.

would you comment on the mix along some of these guidelines please?

1. recording
2. layering technique
3. harmonies
4. time correction
5. pitch editing/correction
6. mixing
7. EQ
8. compression
9. delay/other effects
10. panning
11. etc...
2nd May 2012
Old 2nd May 2012
has all the gear he needs

Quote:
Originally Posted by sventvkg View Post
Ironically Ronnie Milsap put it on hold today

So who knows what's gonna hit someone?
Excellent!!!

This is a crazy business. You never know which one will find the right ears.
2nd May 2012
Old 2nd May 2012
Gear maniac

Quote:
Originally Posted by audiofreqstudios View Post
Unclenny,

thanks for the listen even though it wasn't your genre! I posted it to improve my audio engineering skill set. I've never taken a class in audio, so I try to get better by posting to forums.

would you comment on the mix along some of these guidelines please?

1. recording
2. layering technique
3. harmonies
4. time correction
5. pitch editing/correction
6. mixing
7. EQ
8. compression
9. delay/other effects
10. panning
11. etc...
First impression is drums way too low for music to be played in clubs. Midrange is cluttered. It may be an EQ issue but can be rectified with adjusting levels. Emphasize one of the vocal part and drums, then a phat bass and then fill in with other vocals and then spice with keys. Level automate if necessary

Even though its a short clip. I like the song. Its purposeful, a bit hypnotic and about throwin ur hands up in the air and dance. U cant go wrong with that

Just curious? Are u using active monitors, 5-6 inch bass with a dome tweeter listening up close in a small room?

Regards /Bo
2nd May 2012
Old 2nd May 2012
3rd May 2012
Old 3rd May 2012
Gear maniac

3rd May 2012
Old 3rd May 2012
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by solarplexus311 View Post
Got another one:

http://soundcloud.com/mondosband/return-policy

Once again... mix? song?

Thanks lots!

Very interesting..Could hear it in a movie like DRIVE or something..Few little mix issues like in the end when the heavy GTR comes in the cymbal is slamming etc but overall, nicely done man
3rd May 2012
Old 3rd May 2012
Gear maniac

Quote:
Very interesting..Could hear it in a movie like DRIVE or something..Few little mix issues like in the end when the heavy GTR comes in the cymbal is slamming etc but overall, nicely done man
Thanks for the tip! I love this thread
3rd May 2012
Old 3rd May 2012
Gear interested

Finished rock demo

3rd May 2012
Old 3rd May 2012
Gear interested

Quote:
Originally Posted by danerius View Post
First impression is drums way too low for music to be played in clubs. Midrange is cluttered. It may be an EQ issue but can be rectified with adjusting levels.
The midrange is cluttered? What does that mean? Is it too compressed? I'll try adjusting levels first, but would a shorter/faster release time on the midrange band(s) on my master mutliband help?

Quote:
Originally Posted by danerius View Post
Just curious? Are u using active monitors, 5-6 inch bass with a dome tweeter listening up close in a small room?
Yes, that's my listening environment that you saw in the soundcloud picture. I'm listening on a pair of Roland DS-7 monitors and a powered polk audio sub crossed over at 80 Hz. The room is super small and very dead. Not ideal, but the sound absorption material was free...
4th May 2012
Old 4th May 2012
Lives for gear

4th May 2012
Old 4th May 2012
has all the gear he needs

Quote:
Here's one for the Military! I'm shooting for a soundtrack for it

http://soundcloud.com/seanmormelo/warrior
Your workin' hard, man. It's coming your way.

This is the best one yet, as far as I'm concerned and it will hit home whether it's on the big screen and blasting out of Mamma's truck radio.

That guitar break at around 2:00 is really very good.
4th May 2012
Old 4th May 2012
Gear maniac

Quote:
The midrange is cluttered? What does that mean? Is it too compressed? I'll try adjusting levels first, but would a shorter/faster release time on the midrange band(s) on my master mutliband help?

Yes, that's my listening environment that you saw in the soundcloud picture. I'm listening on a pair of Roland DS-7 monitors and a powered polk audio sub crossed over at 80 Hz. The room is super small and very dead. Not ideal, but the sound absorption material was free...
Actually. I didnt check ur pic, maybe on a subconcious level

This is a theory based on a previous experience with a project studio. I may be wrong but heres my two cents.

A very dead and small room + ur kind of speakers will make for the midrange to be overdampened. While ur recording and mixing u'll be overcompensating for the overdamped midrange. Hence my phrase ”cluttered midrange”. Once that mix is played through earbuds, laptop or 2+1 stereo speakers its gonna sound radically different

Plus. I was missin a bit of energy in the drums/bass. It may be ur sub is cranked up a bit too hot?

Regards /Bo
4th May 2012
Old 4th May 2012
Gear maniac

Quote:
Hey guys,

I'm new to this forum and haven't made a lot of posts, but I've been in the audio industry for eight years. I posted a mix two days ago here and I would really appreciate it if someone gave it a listen and/or feedback about the mix.

Thanks so much!

Audiofreq
Gave your mix a listen - personally a bit to busy for my ears, would concentrate on the main elements and make them solid.
Another thing: Check your mono compatibility, there are some major issues.

Happy mixing

Edit: Upps, bit harsh my comment - we are all here to learn.

Its a solid track buts needs some more tweaking imo.
4th May 2012
Old 4th May 2012
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by Unclenny View Post
Your workin' hard, man. It's coming your way.

This is the best one yet, as far as I'm concerned and it will hit home whether it's on the big screen and blasting out of Mamma's truck radio.

That guitar break at around 2:00 is really very good.
Thanks for listening Brother!!!
5th May 2012
Old 5th May 2012
Lives for gear

Quote:
Here's one for the Military! I'm shooting for a soundtrack for it

http://soundcloud.com/seanmormelo/warrior
Sounds real good, Sean. Get me that mix soon. Can't wait to get the tools out!
5th May 2012
Old 5th May 2012
Gear maniac

Hey all - I normally post over in one man music. Life stepped in and I had to take another several month hiatus from recording - but - I'm about to start gigging again after 15 years and in prep for that I am trying to wrap up a 5 song EP that I will use for promos, etc.

By way of background - I am strictly a spare room recording setup operation here - use cubase 5, a couple mics, pres guitars, bass etc. I'm not looking to set the world on fire with my mixes or songwriting but want to try and make it as good as possible for what it is. I will warn that I am a chronic reverb abuser -but it's pretty much an integral part of my overall 'sound' haha.

So the track is The Jars. It's on reverbnation. I'd love any and all feedback on how to eek whatever more I can out of the mix before mastering. Let me know if reverbnation doesn't fly here and I will post on soundcloud - just trying to get down to one place for my stuff...

Uncle Lenny and some of the other guys over in one man music really helped me on this tune a couple months ago (thanks!) - and now I'm going to try and wrap it up.. Sorry to write war and peace - but wanted to re-introduce myself :-)

Also - Lenny - I haven't forgotten you - still wanna play keys on your stuff :-)
6th May 2012
Old 6th May 2012
Lives for gear

Nice,
If Johnny Cash and Roy Orbison had a kid, musically, it would be you. Lyrically you're your own man.
The mix is nice and smooth.

I think I'd give that guitar line just a bit more heft, but, just the picking part that fills the space, the tagline so to speak, maybe up the bass and kick just a hair, BUT, I'm digging just to give those suggestions so take'em with a grain.
My theory on them is this: The most dynamic range you have to operate in is during mix before mastering, that's when you can still push some elements a bit out front, just a bit, so that when the mastering engineer gets them and he brings them back in they still get a bit of importance in the final mastered product. Kind of like getting the kick and snare a little hot. They make it pump a tiny bit but not noticeably.

Congrats on going back to work.
Soundcloud is good because we have a header for it that lets you click a song without leaving the thread. Plus you get even more fans than RN from it.

Quote:
Originally Posted by chuckduffy View Post
Hey all - I normally post over in one man music. Life stepped in and I had to take another several month hiatus from recording - but - I'm about to start gigging again after 15 years and in prep for that I am trying to wrap up a 5 song EP that I will use for promos, etc.

By way of background - I am strictly a spare room recording setup operation here - use cubase 5, a couple mics, pres guitars, bass etc. I'm not looking to set the world on fire with my mixes or songwriting but want to try and make it as good as possible for what it is. I will warn that I am a chronic reverb abuser -but it's pretty much an integral part of my overall 'sound' haha.

So the track is The Jars. It's on reverbnation. I'd love any and all feedback on how to eek whatever more I can out of the mix before mastering. Let me know if reverbnation doesn't fly here and I will post on soundcloud - just trying to get down to one place for my stuff...

Uncle Lenny and some of the other guys over in one man music really helped me on this tune a couple months ago (thanks!) - and now I'm going to try and wrap it up.. Sorry to write war and peace - but wanted to re-introduce myself :-)

Also - Lenny - I haven't forgotten you - still wanna play keys on your stuff :-)
6th May 2012
Old 6th May 2012
Lives for gear

The lead guitar needs to come forward and it is also too low.
Other than that...
WOW!
Very nice tune! I could hum that, great hook, flows well without a hitch, recording sits together well except for the lead guitar.
What else ya got?
That one would definitely have me looking into you. (assuming that IS you)

Quote:
Originally Posted by DrivenBand View Post
Here is a catchy rock song recorded in an engineer's basement. I think the sound quality is amazing considering this was done on a shoestring budget. Used ProTools with miked drums and amps. Love to get everyone's opinion...

02 Pretending by drivenbandmd on SoundCloud - Create, record and share your sounds for free
6th May 2012
Old 6th May 2012
Lives for gear

Hi all:

Here are a couple of songs I recently put up on my bandcamp site (sorry in advance for the lack of soundcloud... we need a bandcamp widget!)

The first is edgy, dark, sexy track that's a duet between me and a fabulously talented singer named Aradia.

Hurricane | Lights Fade Low

In contrast, the second track features a new vocalist, Gina Seal, and is a more contemplative, quiet, atmospheric piece:

Small | Lights Fade Low

I write, perform (with the exception of the female vox), record, and produce all my own music--doing the best I can with every part of the process and trying to learn and improve with every track.
7th May 2012
Old 7th May 2012
Lives for gear

Here's one I finished writing and tracking tonight. It's a rough mix, no harmony, still not completely finished. See if you guys hear any problems in the mix. I think the drums need some work still, not satisfied with them. Thanks for listening.
7th May 2012
Old 7th May 2012
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by memphisindie View Post
The lead guitar needs to come forward and it is also too low.
Other than that...
WOW!
Very nice tune! I could hum that, great hook, flows well without a hitch, recording sits together well except for the lead guitar.
What else ya got?
That one would definitely have me looking into you. (assuming that IS you)
Damn right nice tune! Put you in Ocean Way, whoa
7th May 2012
Old 7th May 2012
Gear Head

Chunky Salsa

7th May 2012
Old 7th May 2012
Gear nut

My Studio

7th May 2012
Old 7th May 2012
Gear maniac

7th May 2012
Old 7th May 2012
Gear maniac

7th May 2012
Old 7th May 2012
Gear nut

My Studio

Last edited by Ronnieg; 7th May 2012 at 12:03 PM.. Reason: coz i cant spehel
7th May 2012
Old 7th May 2012
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by cowboycoalminer View Post
Here's one I finished writing and tracking tonight. It's a rough mix, no harmony, still not completely finished. See if you guys hear any problems in the mix. I think the drums need some work still, not satisfied with them. Thanks for listening.
That's smokin hot man. This is way more like the country I like to hear, fiddles and slides, and plunky chicken pickin guitars. WELL DONE! I like the way the lead sounds = hot, and the drums are right where they oughtta be. Can't wait to hear the harmonies added in, but, it stands nicely as is.
7th May 2012
Old 7th May 2012
Gear maniac

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ronnieg View Post
Good Question. A girl.

ANd thanks for the listen.
Yeah i remember the Furs track way back.. Really didn't come to mind when writing/ mixing this one. If truth be known i hear a little James in there somewhere........

but not too much ..
Ur welcome
7th May 2012
Old 7th May 2012
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search