Post your rough demos
Old 3rd July 2014
Gear interested

Old 3rd July 2014
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by bkbirge View Post
Thanks for the listen and comments Frank! PM me those industry contacts
I don't have contacts to give you but check the large professional Music Library sites like Warner-Chappell and others. You can register and submit online. They'll listen to your music and screen you, and if it's something they consider good, they'll take you on board and sell your music. Choose a ML carefully because some are better than others in protecting your interests. Before signing a contract get to know all the intricacies like exclusive vs non-exclusive libraries.

Check out the Music for Picture forum on GS. Lots of great information on Music Libraries there. Also use the GS search engine to find "music library" threads.

Here's some good threads that give you a high level view:

Royalty free libraries.....good idea?
Audiosparx
Audiojungle and the debate over microstock
rejections by music libraries

Also, go to a few ML sites and listen to clips from other artists. If yours are as good or better, then you'll have an idea of what your chances are.
Old 4th July 2014
Gear interested

Demos

Old 5th July 2014
Lives for gear
Quote:
Originally Posted by Frank_Case View Post
I don't have contacts to give you but check the large professional Music Library sites like Warner-Chappell and others. You can register and submit online. They'll listen to your music and screen you, and if it's something they consider good, they'll take you on board and sell your music. Choose a ML carefully because some are better than others in protecting your interests. Before signing a contract get to know all the intricacies like exclusive vs non-exclusive libraries.

Check out the Music for Picture forum on GS. Lots of great information on Music Libraries there. Also use the GS search engine to find "music library" threads.

Here's some good threads that give you a high level view:

Royalty free libraries.....good idea?
Audiosparx
Audiojungle and the debate over microstock
rejections by music libraries

Also, go to a few ML sites and listen to clips from other artists. If yours are as good or better, then you'll have an idea of what your chances are.
Thanks Frank!
Old 5th July 2014
Gear interested

Thanks

Quote:
Originally Posted by bkbirge View Post
Thanks Frank!
Thank you! :D
Old 9th July 2014
Lives for gear
Old 15th July 2014
Gear interested

Old 17th July 2014
Old 18th July 2014
Gear interested

Quote:
Originally Posted by Magic Alex View Post
This is one of my more recent songs. It used to be a minimalist attempt, with a guitar riff repeating throughout. I wanted to give it a more middle eastern flavour, hence the duduk, kaval and cumbus saz. The ending still needs work...

https://soundcloud.com/caitlynsdiary/heart-of-clay-vocals-lydia
Really really nice but to much high frequencies on the drums (OH and snare) in my opinion !
I liked it !
Old 18th July 2014
Thanks, my monitors must be getting weak in highs. I'm not hearing them properly. Are they too much in the whole song? Or just the end?
Old 26th July 2014
Old 3 Weeks Ago
Gear interested

Need an experienced audio engineer's opinion

Old 2 Weeks Ago
Lives for gear

Prich.... I love it!!!

That was refreshing Christian Rap!
Old 2 Weeks Ago
Gear interested

Big brother ape

Hello. I've been recording a demo of a song I wrote recently. I scrapped the first version, and this is where the song has ended up. I still need to refine the drum beat and fill in the end, among other things, but the meat and potatoes are there. Just wondering what people thought of the song in general. I recorded it with cubase 5, a focusrite scarlette 2i2, and AT 4033 mic.

-B
Attached Files
File Type: mp3 Big ape brother 10.mp3 (6.28 MB, 14 views)
Old 2 Weeks Ago
Lives for gear
Here's a rough of a retro funk tune (a little George Clinton style) I did over the weekend, still needs to maybe redo and add a couple things.

It's mostly modular synth in a funk context. The main rhythm section is a single analog modular patch controlled by a hardware sequencer and the tune was written around it. Then another modular patch for the funk melody lead. Then real drums, fretless bass, and piano were added. Laying drums after the fact was really difficult to match with the super straight feel but really wonky sound of the sequence.

https://soundcloud.com/bkbirge/back-in-the-day

Old 2 Weeks Ago
Lives for gear
Quote:
Originally Posted by BrandenH View Post
Hello. I've been recording a demo of a song I wrote recently. I scrapped the first version, and this is where the song has ended up. I still need to refine the drum beat and fill in the end, among other things, but the meat and potatoes are there. Just wondering what people thought of the song in general. I recorded it with cubase 5, a focusrite scarlette 2i2, and AT 4033 mic.

-B
I really enjoyed it. Great work! The pre chorus and chorus are really great, sonic pleasure. The first time I listened, I thought the reverb on the guitar at the intro was a bit intrusive/dissonant. Some of the lyrics feel a bit awkward to me if I'm in critical mode, but overall I think it's a really good song and very well recorded/mixed/arranged.
Old 2 Weeks Ago
Gear interested

Quote:
Originally Posted by prontold View Post
I really enjoyed it. Great work! The pre chorus and chorus are really great, sonic pleasure. The first time I listened, I thought the reverb on the guitar at the intro was a bit intrusive/dissonant. Some of the lyrics feel a bit awkward to me if I'm in critical mode, but overall I think it's a really good song and very well recorded/mixed/arranged.
Thanks for the great feedback!

I think you're right on the guitar reverb. At one point I thought the guitar was too dry, and then I overcompensated. I think I will tweak that some more.

I also agree on the lyrics. I can't tell if it's just that the way I'm singing them, or if I need to tighten up the timing, or the lyrics themselves. I have been considering re-recording the vocals for the verses again, although I'm happy enough with the chorus.

Mostly, I'm happy someone else enjoyed it because it's gotten to the point in it's life cycle where I listen and wonder what I was ever thinking! Thanks again for the feedback.

-Branden
Old 2 Weeks Ago
Lives for gear
Quote:
Originally Posted by BrandenH View Post
Thanks for the great feedback!

I think you're right on the guitar reverb. At one point I thought the guitar was too dry, and then I overcompensated. I think I will tweak that some more.

I also agree on the lyrics. I can't tell if it's just that the way I'm singing them, or if I need to tighten up the timing, or the lyrics themselves. I have been considering re-recording the vocals for the verses again, although I'm happy enough with the chorus.

Mostly, I'm happy someone else enjoyed it because it's gotten to the point in it's life cycle where I listen and wonder what I was ever thinking! Thanks again for the feedback.

-Branden
Regarding the reverb, I think it sounds really well balanced once the other mix elements come in. Maybe just a bit much at the very beginning. You could automate the blend or perhaps decay time and see if that works.

For the lyrics, I wouldn't stress too much. It's kind of an 'it is what it is' situation. The song is trying to tell a story and make a point, and I can't think of many songs that do those things without some lines that are flawed if you look at them a certain way.

But yea, I definitely enjoyed it. Very impressed.
Old 1 Week Ago
Gear interested

Old 1 Week Ago
Lives for gear

Here's a quick one-take acoustic demo of a new song recorded before I got up. I think it's gonna have a kinda vintage Heptones rocksteady/ska feel in the band, even though it's kinda pretty acoustic.

Edit: I did two versions... first just me sitting down and playing it, then I took that audio and starting overdubbing stuff to get it to sound like I had it in my head. Was a really interesting experience, great way to demo actually. Might do more of this.

And here it is with overdubs:

edit: Lyrics over here: Don't Walk Away
New Reply Submit Thread to Facebook Facebook  Submit Thread to Twitter Twitter  Submit Thread to LinkedIn LinkedIn  Submit Thread to Google+ Google+ 

Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search