CD Baby vs Tunecore vs Songcast vs Others?
masta1
2nd December 2008
Old 2nd December 2008
Gear maniac

CD Baby vs Tunecore vs Songcast vs Others?

2nd December 2008
Old 2nd December 2008
Lives for gear

2nd December 2008
Old 2nd December 2008
Gear nut

I've used Tunecore to distribute a single to itunes. The process was very easy, and I intend to use them again for digital distribution of future projects.
3rd December 2008
Old 3rd December 2008
Lives for gear

CD Baby is very cool. Great customer service. Can't speak for others, but I definitely recommend CD Baby.
ddp
11th May 2011
Old 11th May 2011
ddp
Gear addict

Ok old thread here but it did come up in google when I was searching SongCast.

I have a new cd coming out and was thinking about trying them out. Currently I have several CDs on CDbaby
I think the deals offered by these three are:

1) CDbaby $35 setup fee and 9% off of everything else. For physical distrib + wide digital distribution

2) Tunecore $50 per cd per year. For wide digital Distribution

3) SongCast $6 per month $19.99 per cd one time only.

I'd be interested to hear people's experience with Tunecore or SongCast?

I'd also be eager to hear about anyone trying to move their songs from CDbaby to another company from Itunes?
11th May 2011
Old 11th May 2011
Banned

My Recordings/Credits

Catapult, one time fee only, much better than all of them.
11th May 2011
Old 11th May 2011
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chris Lago View Post
Catapult, one time fee only, much better than all of them.
Tell me more about your experience with these guys Chris. I'm on the site, they look pretty well set up.
11th May 2011
Old 11th May 2011
Banned

My Recordings/Credits

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dayl View Post
Tell me more about your experience with these guys Chris. I'm on the site, they look pretty well set up.
You pay a one time fee, they take a small percentage and that's it, everything is well structured on it. No complaints, I don't have to pay every year.
ddp
11th May 2011
Old 11th May 2011
ddp
Gear addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chris Lago View Post
You pay a one time fee, they take a small percentage and that's it, everything is well structured on it. No complaints, I don't have to pay every year.
What percentage does Catapult take?
Tunecore and SongCast take 0%.
11th May 2011
Old 11th May 2011
Gear interested

Quote:
Originally Posted by ddp View Post
Ok old thread here but it did come up in google when I was searching SongCast.

I have a new cd coming out and was thinking about trying them out. Currently I have several CDs on CDbaby
I think the deals offered by these three are:

1) CDbaby $35 setup fee and 9% off of everything else. For physical distrib + wide digital distribution

2) Tunecore $50 per cd per year. For wide digital Distribution

3) SongCast $6 per month $19.99 per cd one time only.

I'd be interested to hear people's experience with Tunecore or SongCast?

I'd also be eager to hear about anyone trying to move their songs from CDbaby to another company from Itunes?
i can only tell u from what i have heard about the othersites ...they are more expensive than songcast but ur music does go live a little quicker with tunecore verses songcast ..i use songcast it takes every bit of the 6-8 weeks to get up on itunes not as long for amazon but still anywhere from 2-4 weeks ...i think my buddy had tunecore his was live on amazon and itunes within a week max 2 weeks but songcast is super inexpensive
11th May 2011
Old 11th May 2011
Banned

My Recordings/Credits

Quote:
Originally Posted by ddp View Post
What percentage does Catapult take?
Tunecore and SongCast take 0%.
It's 0 but you have to pay each year to get it back on there. I personally don't like that. It takes 24hours for Catapult to get your album online.
12th May 2011
Old 12th May 2011
Lives for gear

Have you seen bandcamp.com?

I don't think iTunes, etc are great for indie musicians. You need the opportunity to capture email addresses, plus bandcamp allows a lot more flexibility as far as pricing, and whether you want to sell singles or only the whole album, etc.

Being able to get your music on Pandora is nice, but not a sure shot. You can get on Last.fm easily, though.

I think anyone who wants your CD and can't find it on iTunes, etc, will probably take 5 seconds to search google, and find your bandcamp page...
12th May 2011
Old 12th May 2011
Banned

My Recordings/Credits

Quote:
Originally Posted by John Suitcase View Post
Have you seen bandcamp.com?

I don't think iTunes, etc are great for indie musicians. You need the opportunity to capture email addresses, plus bandcamp allows a lot more flexibility as far as pricing, and whether you want to sell singles or only the whole album, etc.

Being able to get your music on Pandora is nice, but not a sure shot. You can get on Last.fm easily, though.

I think anyone who wants your CD and can't find it on iTunes, etc, will probably take 5 seconds to search google, and find your bandcamp page...

I use bandcamp as well.
12th May 2011
Old 12th May 2011
Lives for gear

You cannot go wrong with CD baby.....baby!
3rd November 2011
Old 3rd November 2011
Gear nut

Well I read that tunecore recently has been sued for scams, forgive me if I am wrong but I think it was them, and in court they pulled it off cuz the artists did not register with the library of congress to be fully backed up to win their case,

cdbaby was sold to who knows,

myspace forget it, ghost town,

some say bandcamp is the way to go but who knows at this stage if they pull the wool over one of their successful artists too

It's now oct 2011 so if anyone can advise on what artists should loom out for please do
3rd November 2011
Old 3rd November 2011
Gear nut

I used bandcamp & tunecore. Bandcamp is the best because unless you are big, its easy, straightforward way to get to you friends and fans you already know.

I picked tunecore over CD baby, because of the wide digital distribution. Your album will hit pretty much every major digital CD site, even multiple international itunes. You also get paid (very small) from your music just being streamed. Very easy process too.
3rd November 2011
Old 3rd November 2011
3 + infractions, forum membership suspended.

As the last few posts have suggested, I would also be inclined to use 2 services.

One for yourself, that you manage and persue (to gain fans, statistics, mailing list)

And another, that pushes to outlets that allow passive income

For the first, a .com works..band camp, band zoogle, whatever.

For the 2nd, if its you passive stream..the cheaper the better, as long as you can get on itunes.

I meet tons of rappers who are very excite that most of their sales came from japan via itunes.

this seems to be consistent.

So whatever that means or entails...

At the same time, if Tunecore is more "powerful" in terms of its web...it might be worth it.
4th November 2011
Old 4th November 2011
Gear nut

Quote:
Originally Posted by mgthefuture View Post
As the last few posts have suggested, I would also be inclined to use 2 services.

One for yourself, that you manage and persue (to gain fans, statistics, mailing list)

And another, that pushes to outlets that allow passive income
wow i was under the impression that you can only distribute/sell your cd through one company or did i miss understand your post, are you saying certain distributors promote you while others are good to sell.

i dont mind putting another EP (diferent songs) on a different one to see if that is what you mean
4th November 2011
Old 4th November 2011
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by SkyStudios View Post
wow i was under the impression that you can only distribute/sell your cd through one company or did i miss understand your post, are you saying certain distributors promote you while others are good to sell.

i dont mind putting another EP (diferent songs) on a different one to see if that is what you mean
You can sell via a non-itunes service like bandcamp, in addition to iTunes, but I don't think you'd want to use two iTunes services.

As far as I know, non of these services actually promote you, generally speaking. They may offer such services for a fee, or if they feel you're an artist they can make money from, of course. Taking this route, though, should be thought of as DIY, you need to be actively promoting yourself, growing your list etc. Probably should do that even if you're on a good label, too!
M2E
5th November 2011
Old 5th November 2011
M2E
Lives for gear

I would just like to know, what is the biggest check someone has received from these sites?
What are you looking at a month typically?

Thanx

Marc
5th November 2011
Old 5th November 2011
Gear nut

5th November 2011
Old 5th November 2011
Gear interested

5th November 2011
Old 5th November 2011
Gear maniac

+1 for Tunecore
My artist as well as myself have been using Tunecore for years and have been paid very well.
A few thousand dollars later and still going. Its like any service that requires legal backing to the t, get your paper work together and you'll never have a problem. People fail to realise that not everybody can understand legal works so get a damn lawyer and go in 100% right instead of 100% wrong.
5th November 2011
Old 5th November 2011
Gear nut

Quote:
Originally Posted by M2E View Post
I would just like to know, what is the biggest check someone has received from these sites?

Thanx

Marc
Tunecore, Takes about a month after release to for the funds to actually enter your account, then the update every month, with tracking on albums sales and stream plays. But they just provide a distrubution service, no marketing whatsover. Its up to you, or another company to market your music. So answering that question wouuldnt have anything to do w/ tunecore, but more about popularity of artist.
5th November 2011
Old 5th November 2011
Gear nut

I've seen the tunecoreisascam posts before. Tunecore also replied directly to the story. It's as stated. People do upload music and tracks they do not have the rights to. Hell, cats sell beats that are not their own.

If you have a lot of contacts or come across rappers frequently, it might make sense to buy a $25 dollar beat and turn around and sell it for $50.

As far as digital distro is concerned-
The only thing I would consider is the treatment of my material (how fast and wide it's listed) and long term costs (subscriptions). I can't flow with yearly fees. Other than that, it shouldn't matter. They are only gateways. It's not like if they are there to boost your sales.

Like you're going to sell more records with one over the other.

That disgruntled customer did say he was going to launch a campaign against Tunecore and it does seem to be working since so many people keep pointing to that same article. I need to hire that guy as my publicist.
5th November 2011
Old 5th November 2011
Gear Head

Quote:

Thanx

Marc
I use CD Baby and it depends on how much you sell. Also, depending on the country/region, itunes/amazon taxes are different so an mp3 sale varies from 69 cent profit to 91 cents.

They direct deposit to my bank near the end of each month.
6th November 2011
Old 6th November 2011
Lives for gear

What about the average hip Hop composer? you would just trow up a bunch of breaks via tunecore (or whatever) is there really a market for people buying instrumental hip hop?, I know there is of course but there is a difference between writing pure instrumental versus written for rhyme/lyrics.
M2E
6th November 2011
Old 6th November 2011
M2E
Lives for gear

Thanks too everyone for the much needed links and info.
Still, not sure what you can expect in sales.
Also, do they just pay you each month?
I understand they have to wait on Apple/iTunes as their payment scheme is different but, what about the other stores? Do they pay you every time you sell a CD?
So far, Ditto looks good. Tunecore looks professional. I've heard of CD baby and I like that they can sell hard copy CD's as well even though CD's are being forced out by the end of next year.
Love to know which one seems the best for Dance/R&B/Hip Hop.
My label will be doing that type of music.

Thanx

Marc
6th November 2011
Old 6th November 2011
Gear Head

Quote:
Love to know which one seems the best for Dance/R&B/Hip Hop.
My label will be doing that type of music.

Thanx

Marc
These sites are for you to distribute music through other services and in CD Baby's case, their service as well. For example, CD baby allows me to put my songs on itunes, amazon mp3, last fm, and spotify.

As an artist, you decide how you direct your audience from your website/facebook page/youtube page to purchase your music.
22nd July 2012
Old 22nd July 2012
Gear interested

Warning : Please Read the Whole Tune Core Contract before Clicking I Agree.

I am still wondering what is the best company to go with as an artist about to do the first Internet release. I can't lie. After reading the whole artist contract at Tune Core, it kind of freaked me out. In the contract it basically points out that they have the right to totally assume your project. For film, movies, reproduction, redistribution to other places and everything else you can possibly imagine once signed with them, they have these rights. I see why they don't worry about the $49 to sign up because once you sign with them they basically own your project. After reading this I begin to look for reviews on the company. Thank God for the Internet. The boatload of disappointments from people just like me was incredible. I would have to describe this company without doing business with it as not concerned about the artist. I would have to say judging from the amount of disappointed people their favorite phrase is " go-ahead get a lawyer". I spent quite a bit of time looking at this company. And one thing for sure, I definitely will not be using Tune Core. I've been a band director for 17 years. I've been an assistant principal of a school for three years. I've been head principal of a high school for two years. Music is my passion. I am music. But I'm not a lawyer. And I really don't appreciate reading about people who have been taken advantage of simply because they don't have time to get caught up in court rooms with lawyers just like I don't have that type of time available. If all that is written about tune core true, then shame on you tune core. But according to my figures this guy has made $35 million just on artist signing with his service alone. With all of that being said I'm still looking for a good Internet site to launch my music from. What Ever You Do Please Read the Whole Contract before Clicking I Agree. God bless.
New Reply Submit Thread to Facebook Facebook  Submit Thread to Twitter Twitter  Submit Thread to LinkedIn LinkedIn  Submit Thread to Google+ Google+ 

Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search