Best Headphones for Mixing?
mobilemozart
11th November 2006
Old 11th November 2006
Lives for gear

Best Headphones for Mixing?

Any ideas for really good headphones for mixing? I've been working with Beyerdynamic 990 Pro's for the last 15 years - they have a very flat and natural bass response, unmatched by any other headphones I've heard.
But I'm interested in alternatives - the ultimate neutral sounding flat frequency response mixing/mastering headphone - any suggestions?

Peace,
Marc
11th November 2006
Old 11th November 2006
Banned

i did a serch recently, i needed hedphones for myslf, ive listend to HD600 & 650, picked up the 600, they are exellent, natural headphones. see if you can test some before you buy, its realy a presonal taste ...

good luck.
11th November 2006
Old 11th November 2006
Lives for gear

I work with classical music and my "personal" favorites are Etymotics ER-4s. they offer superior isolation and a great bit of detail throughout the spectrum.

I also use Stax Electrostatics and Sennheiser HD600s(my least favorite) to check on
11th November 2006
Old 11th November 2006
Gear maniac

I have both Sennheiser HD 600's and Grado RS1's. I prefer mixing on the Grados even though the Sennheiser sound more flattering.

If I mix on the HD 600's and then proof it on the RS1’s, I find it sounds like my mix needs to be remixed. But when I mix on the RS1’s and the check it on the HD600's, it sounds great (on both)…

Also, all of the Grado headphones are voiced the same so you can buy into their product line at whatever price you can afford and still get something that will allow your mix to translate well.
11th November 2006
Old 11th November 2006
Lives for gear

Nothing beats a set of large scale full frequency monitors set up, & tuned properly in the control room. But in the case of not being able to sit in the 'sweet spot' all of the time wearing a set of Sennheiser HD600's while rolling up, & down the fader banks of an SSL9000, or Neve console to make adjustments helps catch the details so that when you get back to the 'sweet spot' you find that your adjustments were not 'made in vain'(another reason for meter bridge 'trolleys'). I've owned Grado's. They sound a little darker. If you get used to the extra low end in the HD600's you can perfect a mix with minimal adjustments. I can hear details in HD 600's that would take B&W801's, or Dynaudio Evidence's to hear on a real world speaker set. Make sure that the headphones have a 'high-end' headphone amplifier with high quality interconnect cables from line output to headphone amp as well. They're(headphones) just like speakers. It depends what type of amplifier you drive them with.

Rob G..
11th November 2006
Old 11th November 2006
Gear Head

I just got a pair of Ultrasone Proline 650's that I am loving.

d
6th January 2007
Old 6th January 2007
Gear nut

I cannot agree more with the Ultrasone.

I have the 750's and they're absolutely amazing.

You can hear all the details of your mix, from compression to reverb tails.

I heavily rely on my headphones since they are my main monitoring while mixing. (don't ask)

They're expensive but well worth it.

Definitely one of my best investment.
I often compare them as the Dynaudio speakers.

Vincent
6th January 2007
Old 6th January 2007
Gear Guru

NONE........ do not shorten your engineering lifespan. use monitors
15th January 2010
Old 15th January 2010
Lives for gear

Good headphones for referencing a mix

I want a flat (audio wise ) pair of cans good for a mix reference that have a cable that doesnt break after 2 months and leave me wanting to scream. I currently have sony 7506's, fragile hyped cans that I am ready to discard.

What headphones do you recommend?
15th January 2010
Old 15th January 2010

I bought the AKG K271 Mk2 this week. I tested them in the store, connecting them to my Duet and listening to some music from my library, from classic movie soundtracks (James Horner stuff) to Breaking Benjamin and Within Temptation. I tested them against other closed headphones; I did not try semi-open or open designs, since I need them also for vocal tracking.

The K271 Mk2's sounded way more neutral to me than AKG K171 Mk2, Audio Technica ATH M-40 and M50, and Beyerdynamic DT-770. Especially the M50 and the DT770 sounded to me rather hi-fi, with bass and highs hyped. The K271 sounded totally "boring" compared to them, but the clarity, sense of spacing and dimension, and the frequency resolution were way better to my ears.
15th January 2010
Old 15th January 2010
Gear addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by hpp99 View Post
DT770 sounded to me ... bass and highs hyped.
I can agree with that. but it's nice to actually hear bass in cans
15th January 2010
Old 15th January 2010
Lives for gear

FWIW
I have 2 pairs of the Sony MDR7506's which are fine for tracking which I give to other people...but I like my ATH-M50's for monitoring and mixing. They have a much smoother sound and better bass response than the Sony's.
They're very comfortable and aren't as crispy as the Sony's which I think cause fatigue over any long period of time...
15th January 2010
Old 15th January 2010
Gear maniac

I've been looking for the definitive reference headphone listening for a long time, testing different cans and drivers.
I think if you're looking for a serious reference system, you need can and a reference driver too.
In my experience, (FWIW) one of the best drivers (if not the best), is the QES Labs HPBA-2 balanced headphone amp, with it's dead flat response.
The DT770 Pro is superb.
I think that together with the Sennheiser HD-800, or the new Beyer T1, you really have a reference system.

You can have the HP's recabled for balanced operation at Headphile.

Trp
15th January 2010
Old 15th January 2010
Trp
Gear addict

Sennheiser HD 600 are still my (dynamic) favorite! Nothing hyped about them.
They are also used among classical engineers a lot which is usually a sign for great linearity.
I don´t know the HD 800 but the HD 650 is a step down for your needs, it souds a lot more Hi-Fi then then the HD 600.

I like the DT770 Pro as a closed tracking headphone but it is far from being linear.

If budget is not an issue try electrostatic STAX. They are amazing!
15th January 2010
Old 15th January 2010
Lives for gear

Beyer DT880 or Sennheiser HD 650's. I don't know why you say the 600's are less hyped than the 650's.

MC
15th January 2010
Old 15th January 2010
Lives for gear

BeyerDynamic DT 770 Pro
15th January 2010
Old 15th January 2010
Gear addict

One important thing to keep in mind is the "inverse law of translation". Don't be fooled by a pretty-sounding set of cans. Many nice sounding phones with a good soundstage have a fair amount of hi end boost. You could be fooled into producing dull mixes.

I just picked up the beyerdynamic 990pro. Very comfortable and I'm still burning them in, but they sound great. However they may not be neutral enough for mixing. So I may keep them for the living room. I'd be interested to know how they compare to the Beyer 880's

I am also still considering AKG 702, which appear to be the relatively neutral.
Shop around and you can get them for the same price as the hideous looking 701 (about $270)

I've had the AT m50's for over a year. I like the way they sound, but the strong bass and tight seal makes them more suited for tracking. (Using these for a mix could make you prone to give thin mixes)

I tried the Denon D-2000, but returned them. Great bass and open hi's but they have a big dip from 1- 4 k , which may make them sound pretty, but very unsuitable for mixing. I prefer the beyer 990 by a wide margin.

I didn't like the sound of the Senn 6xxs in limited auditions - they seem passe and have NO soundstage or air whatsoever, but that lack of hype may still might make them a good choice for mixing (?).

Check this out to compare many different models
Learning Center - Build a Headphone Graph | HeadRoom Audio
15th January 2010
Old 15th January 2010
Gear Head

Quote:
Originally Posted by superburtm View Post
I want a flat (audio wise ) pair of cans good for a mix reference that have a cable that doesnt break after 2 months and leave me wanting to scream. I currently have sony 7506's, fragile hyped cans that I am ready to discard.

What headphones do you recommend?
Grado SR 325 from The Prestige Series line. By the way they are open back headphones.

Good Luck,

Peace.
Trp
15th January 2010
Old 15th January 2010
Trp
Gear addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by norbury brook View Post
I don't know why you say the 600's are less hyped than the 650's.

MC
Because they are. Have you tested both? They don´t sound alike. The HD 650 has some low mid/bass boost. I think they are meant to sound "beautiful", not "accurate".
15th January 2010
Old 15th January 2010
Gear addict

I recently bought the ATH-M50s. Love them!
15th January 2010
Old 15th January 2010
Gear nut

Sony mdr-v6 all day in my studio. Best bang for the buck as well
15th January 2010
Old 15th January 2010
Lives for gear

superburtm.. headphone choices are kinda like monitor choices. So many people like so many for different reasons.

and I'm not sure what headphones are "made to last anymore". They break if the wind blows too hard. Just add it to the last of most replaced studio items.
One commericial studio I know of simply stopped being the expensive models.
15th January 2010
Old 15th January 2010
Gear interested

crappy earbuds... they're the new MixCube right?
15th January 2010
Old 15th January 2010
Lives for gear

+1 for the Senheisser HD600. Very flat and trustworthy for monitoring IMO. I have the DT770 Pro's as well (250 Ohm), but I trust the HD600's more. Still, they are great headphones as well. - paul
mobilemozart
15th January 2010
Old 15th January 2010
Lives for gear

Beyerdynamic DT990 all the way - been using them for ages. I'm on my 8th pair...
Also like the cheapest Sony DJ Headphones, they're loud and have a lot of bass!!
15th January 2010
Old 15th January 2010
Lives for gear

HD 600

These are great cans.

Bus as always, you need a good amp to maximize any speaker, including headphones!
15th January 2010
Old 15th January 2010
Lives for gear

great responses guys! yea...maybe I'll just use IPOD earbuds..

.aint that what everybody is listening on anyhow
26th January 2011
Old 26th January 2011
Gear Head

Quote:
Originally Posted by chrisdee View Post
BeyerDynamic DT 770 Pro
Just bought them but they are going back. After some hour or two my head starts to ache, headpad is too hard.

AKG K-271 mk2 or Audio technica ATH-M50s will replace them pretty sure. I have owned and used ath-m40fs for years and had been really satisfied with them (listening, composing, djing). Compared to K-271 or DT770 pro they lack high end, wonder does the M50s have the same problem? SOS article Studio Headphones gives the impression not, anybody made direct comparision (k271-m50s or m40fs-m50s)?

edit: oh and the coiled cable doesn't work for me at all (yeah there's dt770's with straight cable too).
28th January 2011
Old 28th January 2011
Lives for gear

speakers
28th January 2011
Old 28th January 2011
has all the gear he needs

Quote:
Originally Posted by nukmusic View Post
....and I'm not sure what headphones are "made to last anymore". They break if the wind blows too hard.
Yeah.....I have my old Ultrasones all held together with electrical tape.

Still love 'em, though.
New Reply Submit Thread to Facebook Facebook  Submit Thread to Twitter Twitter  Submit Thread to LinkedIn LinkedIn  Submit Thread to Google+ Google+ 

Topic:
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search