Focal CMS 65 vs Presonus Sceptre S8
New Reply
Subscribe
rosemeister
1st March 2014
Old 1st March 2014
Gear nut

Focal CMS 65 vs Presonus Sceptre S8

I'm considering these two monitors and wonder if anyone has any experience comparing the two.

I have listened to the Focals and I'm impressed, however the stereo imaging is less than some other speakers I've heard (Dynos).

I was hoping the Sceptres would be as tight as the Focals but with a better stereo imaging. I have yet to hear the Sceptres as they are not in stock at my local store.

Any experience with both sets of monitors?
1st March 2014
Old 1st March 2014
Lives for gear

Send a message via Skype™ to Bryce
I have a set of Sceptre 8s, and one of the things that impresses me about them is how even the bass response is, and how well the work I'm doing on them translates to other systems. I've only had the CMS50 here, so I can't comment about how well the 65s compare.

The Sceptres are coax, so imaging is one of the things at which they excel, and they're likely to be more accurate than conventional two-way designs in that respect.

You should try them in your space of course, though. If there's no local retailer, there are certainly dealers that will let you return them for full $ back if you don't love them.

dB
rosemeister
1st March 2014
Old 1st March 2014
Gear nut

Would you consider the Sceptres an upgrade to the Focal CMS 50?
1st March 2014
Old 1st March 2014
Lives for gear

Hard to go wrong with either one, IMO. It's really all about your taste and room.

I'm heavily into the coax thing, so the Sceptres are working well for me.

dB
2nd March 2014
Old 2nd March 2014
Gear interested

Quote:
Originally Posted by rosemeister View Post
I'm considering these two monitors and wonder if anyone has any experience comparing the two.

I have listened to the Focals and I'm impressed, however the stereo imaging is less than some other speakers I've heard (Dynos).

I was hoping the Sceptres would be as tight as the Focals but with a better stereo imaging. I have yet to hear the Sceptres as they are not in stock at my local store.

Any experience with both sets of monitors?
If you're looking for coaxial drivers have a look at Equator Audio.
2nd March 2014
Old 2nd March 2014
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by ramix View Post
If you're looking for coaxial drivers have a look at Equator Audio.
I haven't had a chance to work with Equator's Q series, but I do have a set of Pelonis Model 42, which use a dual concentric coax driver like the D5 and D8.

The Model 42s do image really well, but Fulcrum Acoustic's implementation of a horn loaded compression driver in the Sceptre's design scheme gives me more of what I'm looking for in the mids - more open and 3D sounding.

dB
14th June 2014
Old 14th June 2014
Lives for gear

Send a message via AIM to AMIEL Send a message via MSN to AMIEL Send a message via Yahoo to AMIEL
Equator D5 are too bright
New Reply Submit Thread to Facebook Facebook  Submit Thread to Twitter Twitter  Submit Thread to LinkedIn LinkedIn  Submit Thread to Google+ Google+ 

Topic:
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search