SSL comp on drum buss & stereo buss?
26th October 2006
Old 26th October 2006
Lives for gear

My Recordings/Credits

Quote:
Originally Posted by Prickstein View Post
I had a little experiment last night using it as a buss comp for distorted guitars and sneaking it back in with a little Fulltec EQ. Wow, lil sucker sure adds some punch.
Ill compress snare and kick lightly at a 2:1 ratio before they hit the drum bus. But that's not always.
26th October 2006
Old 26th October 2006
Gear maniac

Do you guys parallell comp the drums also when using a drumbus, or do you generally just send the drums directly to a drumbus and then to the master?

If you parallell compress the drums aswell as sending them to a drumbus, do you route the parallel bus to the drumbus also, or directly to the master?

I often parallell compress the kick and snare, but i have never really tried using parallell compression together with regular "serial" bus compression on the drums.

I hope i am making sense here.

/J
26th October 2006
Old 26th October 2006
Lives for gear

My Recordings/Credits

I personally route the paralled track into the drum bus. Then send the drum bus to the master.

As for compressing the drum bus combined with parallel, that is a song by song basis for me.
26th October 2006
Old 26th October 2006
Lives for gear

Prickstein
27th October 2006
Old 27th October 2006
Gear addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jonkan View Post
Do you guys parallell comp the drums also when using a drumbus, or do you generally just send the drums directly to a drumbus and then to the master?

If you parallell compress the drums aswell as sending them to a drumbus, do you route the parallel bus to the drumbus also, or directly to the master?

I often parallell compress the kick and snare, but i have never really tried using parallell compression together with regular "serial" bus compression on the drums.

I hope i am making sense here.

/J
OK, I'm oficially confused now. When we're talking about the drum buss, I thought we meant the drum parallel buss not drum subgroup. Are you guys saying you use the SSL/Waves/Smart in parallel or across the whole drum subgroup?
27th October 2006
Old 27th October 2006
Gear interested

I usually send pretty much all the drums into a drumbuscompressor, and go from there. then I take out the channels that doesn't sound good in there, and send them to another mixbus (I mix on SSL 6000G - 3 mixbusses). Then I use the routingmatrix to send some uncompressed parallells from the channels that need more air, like the snare. If necessary then sum all the drumparallellbusses threw a limiter.

back to the topic: I've started using SSL comps in serie, and really like the extra 384 color. Thats one on the drumbus, one on the master. In the latest mix I used a XL logic on the drumbus set to 4:1 ratio hitting about 4 db gainreduction. Attack set to 10 mS, and fastest release. Then on the master, I set it to 10:1 ratio, never hitting more then 3.5 dB. This time attack set to 1 mS, and fastest release.
This settings may sound insane to some of you out there. It actually works, because most of the energy going to the master is already taken care of earlier in the chain, so the 384 doesn't give you any surprises. This might be the only compressor I've used that actually works with a 10:1 ratio on the masterbus, though. And to get all that nice 384 sound, especially on the drums makes me wanna bring that compressor with me in bed
In this case I use a master eq to recover some of the bass, the air, and transients. Just a touch will do. For example 1 dB @ 50 Hz, 1 dB @ 1,5 kHz, and 1 dB @ 15 kHz shelving.
These settings doesn't work all the time though.

I've also compared Waves SSL comp with the real deal. The first A-B I did between them got me very impressed by the plugin. The more I listened (blindtest) the more obvious it became which one was the real deal. The analog 384 gave a bit more punch to it, and worked smoother with the music dynamics. It also sounded better in the high frequencies.
Still, the Waves SSL sounds pretty god damn good.
New Reply Submit Thread to Facebook Facebook  Submit Thread to Twitter Twitter  Submit Thread to LinkedIn LinkedIn  Submit Thread to Google+ Google+ 

Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search