which choice for BEST quality upgrade?
steven mc.
16th January 2014
Old 16th January 2014
Gear interested

which choice for BEST quality upgrade?

Hi! I'm buying a big upgrade before tax time, and I was wondering what you would do in your home studio:

I have a motu 828MK11 as my main interface, slaved to a 2CH cirrus audio custom A/D. For tracking 1 or 2 at a time I go through my AMEK CIB or Fivefishstudios SC-1x2 into the cirrus audio A/D. I've got a Decent pile of mics including a U87. I Record music for major video games and Commercials, then Indie bands and my own band.

For Drums, the rest goes through my Focusrite octopre which Is the MAIN needed upgrade. At first, I though of an 8 channel pre, A good one like Phoenix audio drs8. Thats about 300,000 yen (I'm in Japan). very sexy piece...

BUT then I thought, I could get by with four "equal" preamps for basically half the price. It would be between Focusrite ISA428, SSL Alpha VHD, or UA4-710D. with the half left over, I could add a bit to it and Upgrade the motu to maybe a UA Apollo Duo. the DUO gives me the 4 more Mic preamps (with pad switches thank God) for the TOMS or extra close mics. If I went that route I'd get UA plugins, and Converters good enough for anyone on each channel. Also my DAW is Macbookpro so some outside power would be used.

One thing to consider is I already have a set of professional converters timing my Motu828, so maybe it's not so important considering it's only really for drums?

WHAT would you do? 8 channels of Phoenix audio DRS8 into Motu828mkii or 4 channels of something else and a UA apollo duo?
Topic:
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search