Monitor vs. Control room size?
Old 15th October 2006
Lives for gear

Monitor vs. Control room size?

I'm using Dyn BM 15a's, NS-10's and KRK V4's. My control room is 13x10. Never really hear a ton of 1st 2 octaves. Have installed 8 Real Traps. They made a big difference but wondering if I need more traps.... or a smaller version of th Dyn's...like BM6's. I find the smaller speakers cranked... really reveal low end-mid lo issues. Anyone?
Tim
Old 15th October 2006
Pragmatic Snob

how much is a "ton" of low end?

if you still have significant build-up in the corners behind the monitors, or if the picture still changes drastically as you move around the room, you need more absorption down there. 703 stacked in corners and along the floor/wall joints can do miracles, cheaper than realtraps and 5x uglier, but what does this matter in the cause of the muse?

i digress.

the more you trap, the weightier the bass you hear. but i'm not clear how much you need to be hearing to be satisfied. have you spent a day with all your gear pushed against the walls, moving the monitors around 6" at a time in every conceivable position to find the sweetest spot the room has to offer? if not, if you arranged the room to suit your needs first and positioned within the limited scope of that pre-decision, all bets are off. you might be shocked at what can happen when you let the room make the sonic decisions and you agree to fit your schemes around reality.

let it be known, i am an unabashed lover of reality.

gregoire
del
ubk
Old 15th October 2006
Gear Guru

Tim,

> Never really hear a ton of 1st 2 octaves. Have installed 8 Real Traps. They made a big difference but wondering if I need more traps.... or a smaller version of th Dyn's...like BM6's. <

I agree with Gregoire - the more traps you have, the closer you'll get to flat. A room that size and shape will never be perfect. Indeed, even a larger room with ideal proportions will never be perfect either. Regardless, I would not go to smaller speakers because that's going in the wrong direction. More traps will only help. Smaller speakers might hide the deep bass problems, but you can do that easily with a low-cut EQ.

--Ethan
Old 15th October 2006
Lives for gear

So another 8 mondo's?
Tim
Old 15th October 2006
Gear Guru

it would not hurt to add 8 more, but you will start to get diminishing returns past a certain point of traps... You may want to do them is 2s and shoot the room to see how much each set helps. You can get a room pretty quick to +/- 10 db from flat pretty fast but to get it to +/- 5 db you could end up spending twice as much.
Are you sitting 38% of the room length? Meaning are you set up right? Where are the traps in the room now? Lots of things you can do to save you from spending more money.

Glenn
Old 15th October 2006
Gear Guru

Tim,

> So another 8 mondo's? <

You got room for eight more?

Seriously, the more trapping you have, the flatter and tighter the low end will be. It's pretty much that simple. Another option, if you're tight on space, is our new Tri-Corner traps. Those really do a great job, especially if your current traps don't cover those tri-corners. Or a mix of Mondos and Tri-Corners. If you have a digital camera you're welcome to email me photos of your current setup so I can be more knowledgeable in my assessment.

--Ethan
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search