Mussel Shoals...Amazing documentary, but where did the money come from?
Old 17th November 2013
Gear Head

Mussel Shoals...Amazing documentary, but where did the money come from?

I just got finished watching Mussel Shoals, which was an amazing documentary about Fame Studios and the musical dynasty created by Rick Hall. I was blown away by the film, but left wondering where the hell Rick Hall got the money to build the first iteration of Fame Studios. The beginning of the film discusses the poverty and hard times this guy went through, then kind of cuts to him in front of a rack of 12 LA-2A's.....what gives?

Any insights?
Old 17th November 2013
Lives for gear

Muscle Shoals
Old 17th November 2013
Lives for gear
i really wanted to know that...starts off saying "the floors were dirt in the house I grew up in" to BAM...tons of amazing gear in a great room
Old 17th November 2013
Gear Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by iipeacefrog View Post
I just got finished watching Mussel Shoals, ...where the hell Rick Hall got the money to build the first iteration of Fame Studios.
seafood restaurant
Old 17th November 2013
Gear maniac

I'll see if I can find out from a Swamper descendent.
Old 17th November 2013
Gear addict

It's about 10 years since I read it, but I seem to remember that the book Sweet Soul Music by Peter Guralnick has a bit of info about Rick Hall's early years.

I just went to look for it but remembered that I lent it to a friend and never got it back.
Old 17th November 2013
Lives for gear
Quote:
Originally Posted by travisbrown View Post
Muscle Shoals
There's a Mussel Shoals in California, but I'm thinking that's not the one in the movie
Old 17th November 2013
Lives for gear

He wrote a few successful songs before building the studio.

Nice film.. Cool UA valve console.
Old 17th November 2013
Gear Head

A few successful songs was enough to afford construction, treatment and equipment? If that is the case, times have certainly changed.
Old 17th November 2013
Lives for gear

Yup, times have changed..
Old 18th November 2013
Gear Head

Hmm..so I guess we have an answer? Seems a bit vague to me and leaves me surprised that they left that detail out in the movie.
Topic:
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search