drums of "american idiot" Green Day
New Reply
Subscribe
coloramas
30th September 2006
Old 30th September 2006
Gear interested

drums of "american idiot" Green Day

Hi, sorry for my english is very bad. I want to know the effects of the drum in this cd. I have the bfd and bfd XFL and the ezdrummer. With this plugins I can obtain a similar sound or is a madness? I have a good collection of plugins of processing.
Any aid in adjustments of equalization and compression for each part of the drum Seth serious me helpful. Here in Spain in the forums that I have asked not they have given me no valued answer. Green Day touches very well, Tree Cool is a wonderful battery, but little but.

I know that the drum set of Tree Cool is this, but nothing more. Tré has his own signature Slingerland drumkit, the "Spitfire". It consists of a 18x22 Slingerland Bass drum, a 5 1/2x14 Slingerland Radio King Snare, a 6 1/2x14 Chrome snare, an 11x14 Slingerland mounted tom, and a 16x16 Slingerland floor tom. Though the Spitfire comes with Slingerland cymbals, Tré still uses a 19" Zildjian K Dark Thin Crash on the left, a 20" Zildjian A Medium Ride on the right, a 22" Zildjian K Heavy Ride on the bottom right, a 14" Zildjian K Medium Top, 14" K Medium Heavy Bottom Hi-Hats, and Zildjian Super 5B drumsticks. He also uses Remo Power Stroke 3 on his snare and bass drums, Remo Coated emperors on the tops of his toms, clear ambassadors on the bottoms, and Remo Falam Slam Pad on the bass drum.

Some graceful one in Spain has answered to me: to buy that drum set and to touch like Tree, that amused truth, and of whichever aid.
I need some help. Thanks.
30th September 2006
Old 30th September 2006
Lives for gear

hi:
your best bet would be to search the archives. there have been many discussions of the drum sound on that record.
-J
30th September 2006
Old 30th September 2006
Gear Guru

I'm assuming a lot of triggered samples were involved.
Also, I think Tre endorses Ludwig.
It would be hard to know exactly which drums and cymbals were used though.
My best advice is to go your own way, perhaps using the Greenday drum sound as your ideal only.
30th September 2006
Old 30th September 2006
Lives for gear

I've seen Green Day a bunch of times (at the Cocoanut Teaszer even!), and they rock super hard, but Tre is definitely no Dave Grohl or Travis Barker. He's one of those drummers who follows the guitar.

I also notice that he's very inconsistent with his hits. See if you can find a photo of his kit where you can see the heads. dings everywhere.

But he's part of the band, and if it works, it works. I think it's Drumagog city. So you can probably get the sound, but it's gonna be hard to get the feel unless you're using BFD to put sounds on an actual drumkit performance.

I think part of the 'magic' of Tre Cool is unabashed glee. A drummer I know calls him the 'Rikki Rocket' of pop-punk. But he's probably like Krist Noveselic; essential to the band, in musical and non-musical ways.

I think the drum sounds on Warning are a bit nicer than on AI.

Can you list your comp/eq/reverb plugins? I use BFD and XFL just about every day. I can help you get closer, probably.
30th September 2006
Old 30th September 2006
Gear interested

I would start by going to greenday's website, and find out what he uses. Check the archives for modern drummer magazine, they normally have articles regarding studio work(what they played on, what mics were used, etc...) right when that drummer has a new album coming out.
1st October 2006
Old 1st October 2006
Lives for gear

Send a message via AIM to Gregg Sartiano
I always found it interesting that en espanol, the act of creating music on an instrument is "tocar" (to touch), while in english, it's "play" (jugar).

To buy the drumset and play like Tre -- and to mix like (who mixed that record, anyway?)...and to have a room (studio) like _____ and mics...and canciones buenos...every ingredient is critical. If you need a drummer, ask on Gearslutz -- many of us know & record top drummers. I work closely with a drummer, and we do drum tracks for jingles (advertencias?) and songs by sending files over the internet. www.synchronicity-music.net

I like tab-to-transients editing on Pro Tools best. Zoom in and paste samples phase-matched EXACTLY to the kick, snare, & toms. I don't think Drumagog or SoundReplacer get close enough on phase & timing, unless you zoom in and cut-paste-slide to repair the tracks. That's just me, and I am a creature of habit...

You never said if you have a "live" drummer, or if you're trying to create a "live" feel with computer-generated tracks.

Incidentally, timing is important as well. Some producers of this kind of music will use Beat Detective (grid editing) on just about everything, even with "good" drummers.
"We need to legitimize peer-to-peer sharing as a business model, because it's already a business. If [the P2P companies] are going to make money on us, we should have a chance to make money along with them."
-- Perry Farrell on the failure of national intellectual property policy to keep up with the rapid evolution of online media

"Every Internet transmission of a musical work constitutes a public performance of that work. " http://www.ascap.com/weblicense/webfaq.html
coloramas
1st October 2006
Old 1st October 2006
Gear interested

Quote:
Originally Posted by max cooper View Post
.........Can you list your comp/eq/reverb plugins? I use BFD and XFL just about every day. I can help you get closer, probably.
COMP and EQ: Waves Diamond bundle, Sonalkis, URS, Nomad Factory and T-Racks plugins.

Reverb: Waves 1R.
14th August 2009
Old 14th August 2009
Lives for gear

My Recordings/Credits

Steven Slate Drums has a Green Day preset kit, although it's based off of Dookie rather than American Idiot, however the sounds in the Platinum package can be tweaked to be very close to the drums on that record. Just takes a very small amount of finesse.
High End Pro Audio Sales & Consulting
Recording/Music Production/Mixing

http://www.audiolot.com

Follow AudioLot on Facebook for AudioLot's BIG DEAL Gear Specials, Morning Mix Tips, and more by clicking here
New Reply Submit Thread to Facebook Facebook  Submit Thread to Twitter Twitter  Submit Thread to LinkedIn LinkedIn  Submit Thread to Google+ Google+ 

Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search