UKB Drum Techniques
New Reply
Subscribe
Lazer Toms
13th October 2013
Old 13th October 2013
Lives for gear

UBK Drum Techniques

I checked out some of UBK (Kush Audio) movies where he talked about applying separate processing to the Left and Right sides of a drum kit.

I've never heard of this technique, and am wondering how common it is. A completely different Eq and compression treatment for each side of a drum aux sounds radical and interesting.

Who else uses this technique when mixing rock drums?
13th October 2013
Old 13th October 2013
Lives for gear

My Recordings/Credits

Never tried it...but it's UBK...not UKB!!LOL
13th October 2013
Old 13th October 2013
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nu Mixer View Post
I checked out some of UKB (Kush Audio) movies where he talked about applying separate processing to the Left and Right sides of a drum kit.
Sounds like phase reversal to me
A.
Lazer Toms
13th October 2013
Old 13th October 2013
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by henge View Post
Never tried it...but it's UBK...not UKB!!LOL

LOL, just changed thanks! Guess my dyslexia was kicking in
13th October 2013
Old 13th October 2013
Lives for gear

Not dealing with rock much but I will definitely try it anyway, never thought about it, I'm sure the results can be quite interesting
Thanks for the tip!
A.
13th October 2013
Old 13th October 2013
Lives for gear

My Recordings/Credits

I've tried it, and didn't like it. That said, I've listened to a few of Greg's recordings and they always sound great, so it's quite clear it works for him.
14th October 2013
Old 14th October 2013
Pragmatic Snob

Keep in mind I'm generally working with tracks that were recorded with different mics in very different positions. IOW, I'm not generally using typical coincident-mic techniques with the same 2 mics oriented in traditional relationships.

Still, I've treated coincident mics differently as well, especially with eq, and I love the results. The trick is to eq each side based on what else lives on that side; mute the L channel and eq the R drums in relation to the R program. Then do the same for L.

If you've got a low rhodes panned left and nashville guitar panned right, you'll probably enjoy a brighter L drum and warmer, thicker R drum. In addition to greater clarity from all instruments, you get a wider sense of space in the mix.

Dynamics are a whole other animal.

This is not exclusively or even primarily a 'rock' thing, in fact I almost never do anything rock related. It's an amazing technique for electronic music as well, as I rarely have anything L the same as R there, especially in terms of instruments and elements.

If you think of a mix as having three spatial aspects --- L, C, and R --- you can treat those aspect discretely, even if you pinpoint pan. MS eq'ing is all the rage now and no one thinks twice about that, I'm just taking it a step farther, or maybe two steps sideways.

Gregory Scott - ubk

Kush Audio: Where High End Keeps Getting Higher

Kush Audio: Where High End Keeps Getting Higher
14th October 2013
Old 14th October 2013
Lives for gear

Dear Greg,
Please 'lend' me a 6 space lunchbox fulla Electras and a UBK Fatso. I promise you will not be disappointed!

Sincerely,
Sam

My band - July

My recordings - Demo Reel
14th October 2013
Old 14th October 2013
Pragmatic Snob

Not a problem, all is ask is that I be able to 'borrow' $3k in return!

Gregory Scott - ubk
14th October 2013
Old 14th October 2013
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by u b k View Post
Not a problem, all is ask is that I be able to 'borrow' $3k in return!

Gregory Scott - ubk
Lemme do the math... Ok done!
Bahahaha (I wish)

Just know I'm saving my ass off for an Electra. Thing seems outrageous!!
Lazer Toms
14th October 2013
Old 14th October 2013
Lives for gear

Thanks for taking the time to respond, Greg! I think I'll experiment with this on my next mix.
14th October 2013
Old 14th October 2013
Lives for gear

My Recordings/Credits

Quote:
Originally Posted by u b k View Post
Keep in mind I'm generally working with tracks that were recorded with different mics in very different positions. IOW, I'm not generally using typical coincident-mic techniques with the same 2 mics oriented in traditional relationships.

Still, I've treated coincident mics differently as well, especially with eq, and I love the results. The trick is to eq each side based on what else lives on that side; mute the L channel and eq the R drums in relation to the R program. Then do the same for L.

If you've got a low rhodes panned left and nashville guitar panned right, you'll probably enjoy a brighter L drum and warmer, thicker R drum. In addition to greater clarity from all instruments, you get a wider sense of space in the mix.

Dynamics are a whole other animal.

This is not exclusively or even primarily a 'rock' thing, in fact I almost never do anything rock related. It's an amazing technique for electronic music as well, as I rarely have anything L the same as R there, especially in terms of instruments and elements.

If you think of a mix as having three spatial aspects --- L, C, and R --- you can treat those aspect discretely, even if you pinpoint pan. MS eq'ing is all the rage now and no one thinks twice about that, I'm just taking it a step farther, or maybe two steps sideways.

Gregory Scott - ubk
Well I know what I'll be fooling around with later tonight!!
New Reply Submit Thread to Facebook Facebook  Submit Thread to Twitter Twitter  Submit Thread to LinkedIn LinkedIn  Submit Thread to Google+ Google+ 

Topic:
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search