New Reply
Subscribe
mic monkey
18th September 2006
Old 18th September 2006
Gear nut

Lamb Of God guitar tone

Hi,

I have been working on a project with a young metal band and the guitarist has decided that he doesnt like the lead guitar tones- this is after all the parts have been recorded and the the mixes were 90% done... he has been recommended the Black box by a friend...
the reviews on harmony central seem to be really good or really bad and i guess that you can never be sure of the reviewers ears or what they are using the black box for...

he wants to sound like Lamb Of God's laid to rest/now you've got something to die for...

i think we used a mesa boogie dc3 through a 4x12 with greenbacks in.. although we also tried a 1963 ac30 with blues, a fender bassman export and many others including the clients transistor marshall...

what do you think i should go for? Does anyone know what L.O.G used on that track?
18th September 2006
Old 18th September 2006
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by mic monkey View Post
Hi,

I have been working on a project with a young metal band and the guitarist has decided that he doesnt like the lead guitar tones- this is after all the parts have been recorded and the the mixes were 90% done... he has been recommended the Black box by a friend...
the reviews on harmony central seem to be really good or really bad and i guess that you can never be sure of the reviewers ears or what they are using the black box for...

he wants to sound like Lamb Of God's laid to rest/now you've got something to die for...

i think we used a mesa boogie dc3 through a 4x12 with greenbacks in.. although we also tried a 1963 ac30 with blues, a fender bassman export and many others including the clients transistor marshall...

what do you think i should go for? Does anyone know what L.O.G used on that track?
Lamb of God uses Mesa Boogie Mark IV's for the bulk of their sound, and use framus or mesa boogies 4X12 with V30s in it. I'm sure they use a ton of other stuff, but that's the basics.

check this out

http://guitarstuff.mattvanstone.com/...tar-amp-setup/
4th November 2006
Old 4th November 2006
Lives for gear

Lamb of God;

Guitar - noise gate - Mark IV - Cabs.

Simple.
Nothing else
4th November 2006
Old 4th November 2006
Lives for gear

Send a message via AIM to planet red
The key for Lamb of God tone is insanely tight playing, picked very consistantly without much gain.

Those guys can play their asses off. I think the new record is 70% mark IV's with a little mesa boogie stilleto, and a hair bit of direct guitar thru a sansamp rackmount.

I heard machine (LOG producer) is constantly reamping to get better tone, and continues to do so throughout the mix.

Start off with killer performances and spend a week reamping, adding subtle amounts of other amps for some flavor.
20th June 2011
Old 20th June 2011
Gear interested

Quote:
Originally Posted by C_F_H_13 View Post
Lamb of God uses Mesa Boogie Mark IV's for the bulk of their sound, and use framus or mesa boogies 4X12 with V30s in it. I'm sure they use a ton of other stuff, but that's the basics.

check this out

http://guitarstuff.mattvanstone.com/...tar-amp-setup/
Sick! Good to see such care is taken here LOG has some of the most crisp distorted sounds to date. Just goes to show how important the front end is.
20th June 2011
Old 20th June 2011
Gear maniac

The trick to lead tone like that is really tight playing. Tell him to practice all the leads with a metronome and a JAZZ TONE...yes I wouldn't joke about this. A thick clean tone will let him hear every little mistake. Its the fastest way I have found to get metal players to clean up their playing.

I haven't used the black box very much (i'm guessing you mean that m-box thing) But IMHO it just seems like another practice toy....great for rocking out in your bedroom but thats it.
20th June 2011
Old 20th June 2011
Lives for gear

LOG is the result of great gain structure and very good right hand skills
some of the best guitar player combinations in metal ever imo
they play like one, even the smallest small bendings are like 100% (ok, thats left hand ^^)...had the pleasure to be there at gigs some times, really professional playing skills
"key" is to hit the amp right with the attack..articulation...and the gain disappears just before nex tone...how it should be.. movement, dynamics...
mark IV, engl straight, jubilee and similars should work, different, but getting you in the ballpark..or layer some stuff
maximum repect

Just do it
New Reply Submit Thread to Facebook Facebook  Submit Thread to Twitter Twitter  Submit Thread to LinkedIn LinkedIn  Submit Thread to Google+ Google+ 

Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search