New Reply
Subscribe
Thoen
8th August 2013
Old 8th August 2013
Gear interested

Proper Editing Guidelines

Greetings Slutz!

I've been commissioned by a client to engineer some overdub sessions and edit his EP before it goes off to mixing, and now that we're done with all of the overdubs, its editing time. My question is, what are the typical guidelines you all follow when editing your mix before sending it off to the mix engineer?

This is what I currently know to do:
1. Strip any unnecessary noise from tracks (i.e. bleed in tom mics when toms aren't hit, silence between vocal parts, etc.)
2. Ensure that any crossfades between punches are smooth
3. Fix any timing issues with instruments playing out of time with one another
4. Properly comp and tune vocals as necessary

I have also gone ahead and somewhat color coded similar instrument tracks (i.e. all of my drum tracks are red, bass is orange, etc.) and I have created mix groups for instrument groups as well.

I'm sure I'm missing something. Question is, what am I missing?
8th August 2013
Old 8th August 2013

My Recordings/Credits

Send a message via Skype™ to psycho_monkey
If everything's correctly named, no you're not missing anything from my point of view.

I would clean out unnecessary dead space (ie noise inbetween vocal line), I'd leave any stripping out of bleed from toms to the mix guy - some guys wouldn't want it completely stripped.

I wouldn't bother with mix groups etc. I'd consolidate all files, get rid of absolutely everything that isn't needed for the final mix, and just send the audio files (consolidated on a barline, with tempo marked if done to click).

Any alternate versions (eg with/without FX) clearly labelled.

It's all about labelling!

If I've ever helped you with a technical problem or provided you with advice you found useful, you can more than repay me by checking out, and maybe buying a couple of songs, by a singer I'm working closely with. It would be much appreciated!

http://itunes.apple.com/gb/preorder/...an/id513648911

http://www.amazon.com/Jack-Robert-Ha...robert+hardman

</Shameless Plug>
8th August 2013
Old 8th August 2013
Lives for gear

In addition to what Psycho_Monkey wrote:
You should check with the band regarding any editing of the performance (tuning and realignment) The rest should be up to you, if you're sure about what you're doing. If not, ask the Mix-E. Normally you'd want all editing done prior to mix. I'd comp any stereo material, cause it can easily be split if neccessary.
8th August 2013
Old 8th August 2013
Lives for gear

Agree with psycho-monkey. Make sure all tracks are named and consolidated. Clear all unused audio files from the clip bin too. "Save a Copy In" to make sure everything belonging to the project is in it's own folder.

I would not strip anything from the drum tracks or indeed the vocal track. Some guys still like that stuff!
Thoen
8th August 2013
Old 8th August 2013
Gear interested

Awesome tips guys. Thanks a lot!
8th August 2013
Old 8th August 2013

My Recordings/Credits

Send a message via Skype™ to psycho_monkey
Quote:
Originally Posted by theBackwardsman View Post
You should check with the band regarding any editing of the performance (tuning and realignment)
Definitely - presumably the producer has instructed you on what to do regarding this.

Quote:
The rest should be up to you, if you're sure about what you're doing. If not, ask the Mix-E. Normally you'd want all editing done prior to mix.
As a mixer, I wouldn't want to be asked - I'm mixing, not producing.

Quote:
I'd comp any stereo material, cause it can easily be split if neccessary.
You mean supply stereo files as interleaved, not split L/R? If so, yep I agree. All comping should of course be done before mixing!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Beech View Post
I would not strip anything from the drum tracks or indeed the vocal track. Some guys still like that stuff!
I'd clean all noise from vocal track for sure. Again - it's a production decision. Not a mix decision. If you want the ambient noise left in, let the mixer know. Otherwise he'll probably clean it/bury it anyway.
8th August 2013
Old 8th August 2013
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by psycho_monkey View Post
As a mixer, I wouldn't want to be asked - I'm mixing, not producing.
Me neither. However, If the engineer is uncertain about what to print or comp, I'd prefer a question, rather that having him undo stuff and resend files during the mix process.

Quote:
You mean supply stereo files as interleaved, not split L/R? If so, yep I agree. All comping should of course be done before mixing!
Yes

--

Also. When I'm engineering, I never print FX unless for some reason my rough is so good it can't be redone, or if it's a very specific effect, like reversed reverb or something. Whatever choice of FX works for you and your rough doesn't neccessarily work in his mix etc.
For delays I usually put the time signatures in the track name or a separate sheet.
New Reply Submit Thread to Facebook Facebook  Submit Thread to Twitter Twitter  Submit Thread to LinkedIn LinkedIn  Submit Thread to Google+ Google+ 

Topic:
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search