Why are speaker stands so low???????
New Reply
Subscribe
loscolorados
21st July 2013
Old 21st July 2013
Lives for gear

Why are speaker stands so low???????

Highs of speaker should be high as you ear, right?

So why are most speaker stands 50, 60 cm ????

trying to find ones that are 90 cm, couldn't find one

what is wrong with the world?
21st July 2013
Old 21st July 2013
Lives for gear

Kids and cats ...
21st July 2013
Old 21st July 2013
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by loscolorados View Post

It's not the heat, it's the stupidity...
21st July 2013
Old 21st July 2013
Lives for gear

It's the mids & highs that should be at ear height...usually while seated.

Here in the US I have recommended cement columns as found in "yard-art" stores to folks needing stands.
21st July 2013
Old 21st July 2013
Gear Guru

I think they are set at the height of a listener sitting on a couch, not behind a desk.
I agree it's hard to find good speaker stands that are high enough for a studio.
21st July 2013
Old 21st July 2013
Lives for gear

Commercial speaker stands are a fashion accessory. If you care about the integrity of your music, you need very heavy speaker stands that resist vibration. If the speaker stand can vibrate it robs the power of your bass in particular. Every Action has an Equal and Opposite Reaction - so when the woofer cone goes forward, the speaker wants to go backwards. A skinny lightweight pole that rocks back and forth is not what you want.

You way also want to isolation vibration from the floor - best done with rubber pads. You don't have to buy expensive fashion accessories for this either.

Heavy objects cost to much to ship, so commercial stands are made too light in order to maximise profit. Make yourself, or buy something local that is heavy. Concrete is perfect. Or PVC tube filled with sand. Concrete blocks separated with closed cell foam rubber (cut up an exercise mat or camping bedroll).
21st July 2013
Old 21st July 2013
Lives for gear

Why are speaker stands so low???????-monitor-stands.jpg Name: Monitor Stands.jpg Views: 512 Size: 73.2 KB ID: 354516" style="margin: 2px" />

I built these - they bring the monitors to ear level while sitting at the desk. They're sturdy, don't vibrate, and were cheap enough to fabricate.
21st July 2013
Old 21st July 2013
Gear Guru

It's likely 60 cm stands (about 2 feet) would almost certainly be for the consumer market, especially if the stands have an upward tilt, suggesting intended floor placement. However, some smaller, short stands may be made for table/desktop placement.

As the OP notes, speakers should be about ear height for the midrange and tweeters. I have a pair of Event 20/20bas -- very heavy powered boxes (the specs say 30 lbs/13.6 kg apiece but my cognitive distortion would have put it at 35 or 40 lbs ) -- on top of a pair of composite stands. The stands were hollow square columns so I filled them with sand. I'm not too worried about losing bass 'traction' in this case.

While every force in Newtonian physics has a equal reaction in the opposite direction, we are talking about a cone and coil (the only pertinent moving parts) that weigh a few grams versus the far, far greater mass of the enclosure and any amps. We are talking about a ratio of probably several thousand to one.

It's my thinking that the movement of the cone/coil is of minimal significance in normal circumstances and operation.

TK Major: social, biz, and music stuff | a crisp, flat design restyle for GS: Gray GS 2.2 for Chrome/Stylebot

People make oceans of music and only a tiny, tiny amount ever rises up for a few moments like a wave, visible from the shore. And then it's gone, too, back into the bottomless sea of forgotten music.
TK Major
. The Forgotify Files
21st July 2013
Old 21st July 2013
Lives for gear

Some extremely famous producers and speaker designers would disagree ...

It's every Force that has an equal and opposite reaction - not every Mass ...

If you a putting out enough force to excite the bass response of a room full of air, using hundreds of watts of power, that is some considerable Force.

All i'm saying is that if you can see your speaker stand vibrate, it's working against you efforts to hear good sound.
21st July 2013
Old 21st July 2013
Lives for gear

Quote:
Highs of speaker should be high as you ear, right?

So why are most speaker stands 50, 60 cm ????

trying to find ones that are 90 cm, couldn't find one

just make your own.
loscolorados
21st July 2013
Old 21st July 2013
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by sleeper1400 View Post
just make your own.
I don't know how
21st July 2013
Old 21st July 2013
Gear Guru

Quote:
I don't know how
First you get yourself a nice table saw, a drill press, some raw high density particle board or other high mass material, and a nice garage workspace to put it all in and...

[If you are a guitarist or keyboardist and using power tools for the first time, be sure to count all your fingers before starting. OK, that's not really all that funny, I know a guy who has a reattached thumb. He's not a guitarist but I know other woodworkers and machinists who are. Safety first and always. Even if you only might need those extra fingers some day. ]
22nd July 2013
Old 22nd July 2013
Gear Head

New Reply Submit Thread to Facebook Facebook  Submit Thread to Twitter Twitter  Submit Thread to LinkedIn LinkedIn  Submit Thread to Google+ Google+ 

Topic:
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search