Clean Mic Pre Amps?
Old 22nd May 2013
Gear addict

Clean Mic Pre Amps?

I'm looking for a clean sounding Mic pre amp (mobile) for my u87ai. Vocal use only. I've been looking into the Avalon M5, V5, and U5. Has anyone used these (with a u87ai preferably) and how do they compare to one another? Are they better than the 737? I currently use a Apogee Duet 2. Thanks in advance.

Audio Gear Journey

Logitech PS2 Mic

Samson C01U USB Mic

Apex 435, Rode NT1A / Art Tube Channel Pre

Sm7b / Art Tube Channel Pre, Cloud Pre + Apogee Duet

TLM 102 / Apogee Duet, ISA 110 Focusrite, Apogee Duet 2

Bock U195 / Apogee Duet 2

U87ai / Apogee Duet 2
Old 22nd May 2013
Lives for gear

For clean, I love the Dav Bg1.
Old 22nd May 2013
Lives for gear

Earthworks makes maybe the cleanest preamp available, it's about as close to a wire as you can get. Martech is also very clean, definitely a great sounding well built unit.
Old 22nd May 2013
Gear nut

The Millennia HV-3D may be worth a look also?
Old 22nd May 2013
Gear addict

+1 for Millennia. Grace is nice too.

Sent from my slutzapp.
Old 23rd May 2013
Lives for gear

Some good options already. My favorite for clean is John Hardy. Clean, never sterile, and very authoritative.
Old 23rd May 2013
Lives for gear

Grace-- Clean (maybe a bit sterile)
-e
Old 24th May 2013
Gear addict

clean

very clean and at good prices are the Sytek preamps.
Old 24th May 2013
Lives for gear

Hm.. sure you need a clean preamp beside your duet?
You've tried the ISA 110, did you like it?
Sure you don't want some smoothness like Neve Portico or Seventh Circle J99?
DIY Mic Preamp Kits - Seventh Circle Audio
Old 24th May 2013
Lives for gear

There are plenty of clean ones. How about the DACS Clarity Mic Amp Mk2? There's a 500-series one if you need to be portable.

But for the vocal applications and an 87, you're not going to notice anything wrong with a nice bit of colour from something. Quite the opposite. I'd personally be looking to put my cash into something (whether preamp or mic) with a noticeable but subtle transformer or tube vibe.
Old 24th May 2013
Quote:
Originally Posted by mixedup View Post
But for the vocal applications and an 87, you're not going to notice anything wrong with a nice bit of colour from something. Quite the opposite. I'd personally be looking to put my cash into something (whether preamp or mic) with a noticeable but subtle transformer or tube vibe.
I personally do love clean preamps and think that your decision is very good. The combination U87/737 is very effective and has been used in countless vocal recordings. I have heard that the 737 was tuned using an U87.
Old 30th May 2013
Lives for gear

Avalon gets a lot of hate on this site and i don't know why. Every big studio i ever been in has them. Must of been when Guitar Center "Walmart Of Pro Audio" was pimping them out years ago that made people feel like they were cheap and overpriced. I have used the M5 in a studio and i think it's an awesome sounding pre. Def not a clean sound, more transparent with a very very slight color that adds musicality!
Old 30th May 2013
Lives for gear

Out of the ones you have listed, I really like the Avalon M5. The Blue Robbie is sort of clean also and great sounding.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I317
Old 30th May 2013
Lives for gear

I would get the Dantimax ThatMic, but I think you'd have to build it up yourself which you may or may not be willing to do. Naiant has one also that looks pretty cool and portable.
Old 30th May 2013
Lives for gear

While I own Millenias...I wouldn't dream of using them with an AI. They're relatively hard sounding mics. You want a Great River or a UA 610 or something, IME. And, honestly if you have a 737...and a Duet...and neither are working, the preamp is not the issue. While a Millenia or M5 may represent an upgrade in "clean" from the Duet...it's a nuance, grand scheme compared to a color piece like the Great River or frankly-a different mic.
Old 30th May 2013
Lives for gear

Also-the U5 is not a mic pre. Take it off the list.
Old 30th May 2013
Gear maniac

Clean? Buzz Audio
Old 30th May 2013
Lives for gear

Clean can be boring and clean can be awesome just depends on the clean! Anyway the ones that I think are awesome at clean are SCA J99 and the http://www.buzzaudio.com/products/ma2.2.htm.

Both are great. The Buzz is even more great and I wish I owned it. I do get to use a pair often so I am ok for now.
Old 6th January 2014
Gear addict

Anyone used a u87ai and BAE 1073 MP (desktop) before? I'm looking into that combo
Old 8th January 2014
Gear maniac

Quote:
Originally Posted by Reem703 View Post
Anyone used a u87ai and BAE 1073 MP (desktop) before? I'm looking into that combo
I have used a U87ai and a real Neve 1073 for years, it's a great combo.
Old 8th January 2014
Gear addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by bluejbill View Post
I have used a U87ai and a real Neve 1073 for years, it's a great combo.
Yea I'm thinking about just go head and getting the NEVE 1073. Does the mic still produce sibilance or does it smooth out the sound?
Old 9th January 2014
Gear maniac

You may find this chart helpful in evaluating the relative color of various preamps:

Topic:
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search