Login / Register

who dont like millennia stt-1 ?
New Reply
Subscribe
Gabriel Sousa
31st August 2006
Old 31st August 2006
Lives for gear

Send a message via MSN to Gabriel Sousa Send a message via Skype™ to Gabriel Sousa
who dont like millennia stt-1 ?

31st August 2006
Old 31st August 2006
Lives for gear

Send a message via AIM to T.RayBullard Send a message via MSN to T.RayBullard Send a message via Yahoo to T.RayBullard
I dont like the HV-3 section of it...sterile/harsh come to mind.

there are some comparisons that IVO put up..do a search on Millennia and DAV by the poster IVO..he has some good clips of the Origin.

http://www.last.fm/user/TeddyBullard/
1st September 2006
Old 1st September 2006
Lives for gear

Send a message via AIM to NathanEldred
FWIW, I wouldn't say it's sterile or harsh....some people may hear it as 'sterile' because of it's lack of harmonic distortion, but that's the point of the HV3B section. IME they'll say the same about GML or Grace (although I could be wrong, just my personal findings). The tube section of the preamp is incredible (basically an M2B with a few more electronics, I've heard some people say the balanced output makes it sound cloudy, but that's a crock of s*** IME, but one man's cloudy is another man's too clean for their tastes). The tube portion of the preamp is a little different in it's texture compared to the solid state, a bit silkier with some obvious high frequency harmonics which makes it sound more extended in the top.

It's easy to hear the solid state version of the preamp in action, probably at least half of most modern classical recordings are done with Millennia Media preamps (I've seen some as far back as early/mid 90's I believe). I've heard a good many, and it sounds like the orchestra or choir in the room, not much more, not much less. The M2B/tube section just adds a little euphonic character to that philosophy of sound. To get opinions of the EQ go over to the mastering forum, ask guys like Bob Katz and Jay Frigilatto what they think about it. It's 99% the same as an NSEQ-2.

If you don't need the EQ or compressor, just get the M2B you won't regret it...in combo with the Manley mic it's going to sound lush and detailed.
1st September 2006
Old 1st September 2006
Gear maniac

Sterile and harsh are certainly not the description I would use.

I with Nathan on this.
1st September 2006
Old 1st September 2006
Lives for gear

Send a message via MSN to Gabriel Sousa Send a message via Skype™ to Gabriel Sousa
what you think about STT-1 ?

thanks a lot

Quote:
Originally Posted by dtucker View Post
Sterile and harsh are certainly not the description I would use.

I with Nathan on this.
1st September 2006
Old 1st September 2006
Pragmatic Snob

phoenix

daking

api

millenia

gregoire
del
ubk
1st September 2006
Old 1st September 2006

I'm getting a bit sick of this SST-1 vs DAV thing.

I have got both preamps and I can tell you this.

The DAV BG1 is WAY WAY coloured compared to the HV-3 clean pre in the STT-1.
Simple. Fact.

I have a BLUE Bottle and if you want just pure clean gain then the STT-1 SS is perfect.

When we do a shoot out between the DAV and the STT-1 then the valve path of the STT-1 is much closer to the DAV, that's because the DAV is not pure clean gain - IT IS COLOURED - OK it's coloured in a good way BUT coloured never the less no matter what any one else says - you don't need golden ears to hear it either it's totally obvious.

To call the HV-3 sterile and harsh it total BS. It sounds stunning with the vocal caps on the Bottle and blows the DAV away for that application - where all you need is PURE gain because the colour is already in the source.

The STT-1 is a wonderful versatile pre-amp perfect for a choice of paths and without doubt a different class to the DAV - this correctly reflected in the retail price IMHO. I use my DAV a lot, but an STT-1 it most certainly is not.

Robert
1st September 2006
Old 1st September 2006
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by Trebor Flow View Post

The STT-1 is a wonderful versatile pre-amp perfect for a choice of paths..........................

Robert
Gabriel Sousa
1st September 2006
Old 1st September 2006
Lives for gear

thanks a lot

Quote:
Originally Posted by Trebor Flow View Post
I'm getting a bit sick of this SST-1 vs DAV thing.

I have got both preamps and I can tell you this.

The DAV BG1 is WAY WAY coloured compared to the HV-3 clean pre in the STT-1.
Simple. Fact.

I have a BLUE Bottle and if you want just pure clean gain then the STT-1 SS is perfect.

When we do a shoot out between the DAV and the STT-1 then the valve path of the STT-1 is much closer to the DAV, that's because the DAV is not pure clean gain - IT IS COLOURED - OK it's coloured in a good way BUT coloured never the less no matter what any one else says - you don't need golden ears to hear it either it's totally obvious.

To call the HV-3 sterile and harsh it total BS. It sounds stunning with the vocal caps on the Bottle and blows the DAV away for that application - where all you need is PURE gain because the colour is already in the source.

The STT-1 is a wonderful versatile pre-amp perfect for a choice of paths and without doubt a different class to the DAV - this correctly reflected in the retail price IMHO. I use my DAV a lot, but an STT-1 it most certainly is not.

Robert
New Reply Submit Thread to Facebook Facebook  Submit Thread to Twitter Twitter  Submit Thread to LinkedIn LinkedIn  Submit Thread to Google+ Google+ 

Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search