Great River PWM-501
New Reply
Subscribe
michael cleary
8th May 2013
Old 8th May 2013
Gear addict

Great River PWM-501

I have one of these in my possession and looking forward to trying out. Anyone else get a chance to try it yet? Also is it me or is there no manual available online. It says to download from the GREWEB.com site but I cant find it. Thanks mc
michael cleary
8th May 2013
Old 8th May 2013
Gear addict

FYI, Just got a message from Dan at GR and it will be getting uploaded to the site. Thanks Dan!
8th May 2013
Old 8th May 2013
Gear Head

I have a pair that I'm kicking the tires on right now. I've found them to be very versatile. They can be set to be smooth and transparent all the way to aggressive. The variable feedforward and feedback control is a handy feature. You can dial in a snappy and fast SSL type with the FF, or go more rounded and slower with the FB, or anywhere in between.
It took me a little while to get used the relationship between the ratio and threshold controls. Both affect each other unlike most compressors I've used. Dan Kennedy can explain how they interact better than I can. In my use, I've found that setting to what you expect to be a fixed ratio changes depending on where the threshold is set. It actually forces to you listen and make changes, which is what we all should be doing anyway.
You can dial in a very specific compression, or even peak limiting depending on where you set the controls.
So far, I've used them on vocals, bass guitar, acoustic guitar, and drums. They have excelled on all of them.
I have a Crane Song STC-8 in my arsenal. That beast is a PWM sidechain as well. The Crane Song usually sits on my mix bus as it's the most transparent compressor I've run across. The Great River PWM-501's seem to be more versatile with it's range of settings and sounds. I almost never use the STC-8 for tracking. I like to get a little color going on the way in. I've found the PWM-501's can do both well.
I will be buying this pair for sure.
michael cleary
9th May 2013
Old 9th May 2013
Gear addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by sliebers View Post
I have a pair that I'm kicking the tires on right now. I've found them to be very versatile. They can be set to be smooth and transparent all the way to aggressive. The variable feedforward and feedback control is a handy feature. You can dial in a snappy and fast SSL type with the FF, or go more rounded and slower with the FB, or anywhere in between.
It took me a little while to get used the relationship between the ratio and threshold controls. Both affect each other unlike most compressors I've used. Dan Kennedy can explain how they interact better than I can. In my use, I've found that setting to what you expect to be a fixed ratio changes depending on where the threshold is set. It actually forces to you listen and make changes, which is what we all should be doing anyway.
You can dial in a very specific compression, or even peak limiting depending on where you set the controls.
So far, I've used them on vocals, bass guitar, acoustic guitar, and drums. They have excelled on all of them.
I have a Crane Song STC-8 in my arsenal. That beast is a PWM sidechain as well. The Crane Song usually sits on my mix bus as it's the most transparent compressor I've run across. The Great River PWM-501's seem to be more versatile with it's range of settings and sounds. I almost never use the STC-8 for tracking. I like to get a little color going on the way in. I've found the PWM-501's can do both well.
I will be buying this pair for sure.
Yea, I've been digging it as well. Man, this comp is fast, fast, fast! I've tried it on a bunch of tracks and it works really well on everything but particularly shines for me on Kick and snare. I can get downright surgical with the attack and get a ridiculous crack on the snare. I haven't tracked with it yet but will try it in a little bit.
9th May 2013
Old 9th May 2013
Lives for gear

My Recordings/Credits

I agree with all the above. For me, I really LOVE it on bass. So good!

Quote:
Originally Posted by michael cleary View Post
Yea, I've been digging it as well. Man, this comp is fast, fast, fast! I've tried it on a bunch of tracks and it works really well on everything but particularly shines for me on Kick and snare. I can get downright surgical with the attack and get a ridiculous crack on the snare. I haven't tracked with it yet but will try it in a little bit.
Are you tracking with them on drums or mixing. I've only mixed some drums with them so far and loved it. I've tracked a bunch of over dubs with them and they have responded fantastic to everything.

Credits
Some of the music I have been part of.

Risen Drums
Custom drum company I co-own. I wont pimp our drums here unless you ask.
michael cleary
9th May 2013
Old 9th May 2013
Gear addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by dandeurloo View Post
I agree with all the above. For me, I really LOVE it on bass. So good!

Are you tracking with them on drums or mixing. I've only mixed some drums with them so far and loved it. I've tracked a bunch of over dubs with them and they have responded fantastic to everything.
[/I]

I havent tracked anything with it yet, just inserted on a few tracks of different instruments to see how it reacts. i'll try to do some tracks this weekend.
9th May 2013
Old 9th May 2013
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by sliebers View Post
I almost never use the STC-8 for tracking. I like to get a little color going on the way in.
You should at least try tracking vocals with it if you haven't already. IMO, that's the best thing it does. (sorry, OT)

-R
9th May 2013
Old 9th May 2013
Lives for gear

My Recordings/Credits

Quote:
Originally Posted by RKrizman View Post
You should at least try tracking vocals with it if you haven't already. IMO, that's the best thing it does. (sorry, OT)

-R
Do you use the limiter when you track vocals with it? (again OT, haha)
10th May 2013
Old 10th May 2013
Gear maniac

yes, vocal test is the most significative for me...
i'm going to configure a 500 series channel strip
assemble a channel strip for 500 series !!

and some fresh experience about this new gear would be very interesting...
13th May 2013
Old 13th May 2013
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by dandeurloo View Post
Do you use the limiter when you track vocals with it? (again OT, haha)
No, it's too easy to distort the limiter, and when tracking I give myself plenty of headroom in Pro Tools. I usually use some version of preset A, just shaving off a few db. It just smooths things out a bit, adds a wee bit of warmth and doesn't lock me into any particular color. I save the heavyweight compression, if desired, for mixdown.

Actually I usually use the A setting in the upper right quadrant, which features attack mod, so I guess I am using the limiter a bit. (the limiter works to tighten up the compressor's attack in this mode).

-R
19th July 2013
Old 19th July 2013
70% Coffee, 30% Beer

Send a message via Skype™ to Doc Mixwell
Great River PWM-501!
Attached Thumbnails
Great River PWM-501-imageuploadedbygearslutz1374269197.051687.jpg  
5th January 2014
Old 5th January 2014
Gear nut

Any more updates/feedback? They look really interesting for the end of my vocal chain! Has anyone used them on a drum or mix buss??

Cheers
1 Week Ago
Old 1 Week Ago
Gear Head

Here's some video with audio examples of the PWM-501 in use.
First video is an overview of the features.

1 Week Ago
Old 1 Week Ago
Lives for gear

My Recordings/Credits

The video shows how it works great on acoustic guitar. Love it.
4 Days Ago
Old 4 Days Ago
Lives for gear

My Recordings/Credits

This is Rick Beato. He's produced some of my favorite records. Plus, his beard has a life of its own.

4 Days Ago
Old 4 Days Ago
Lives for gear

Damn I want one of these.
16 Hours Ago
Old 16 Hours Ago
Lives for gear

Does anyone know if this is electronically balanced in/out or has transformers in and or out? Looked on the Great River site, google, etc. turned up nothing. Doesn't really matter but i'm curious!

Thanks
"You only have a certain amount of headroom with Pro Tools... if you start pushing it a little bit too hard it's starts squawking like a chicken, if you go too low, it starts squawkin', you have to work within a certain realm otherwise you get zapped either way!" - Tad Donley (2006)
-
New Reply Submit Thread to Facebook Facebook  Submit Thread to Twitter Twitter  Submit Thread to LinkedIn LinkedIn  Submit Thread to Google+ Google+ 

Topic:
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search