Sony DPS-V77 vs DPS-V55
Old 23rd August 2006
  #1
Gear addict
 

Thread Starter
Sony DPS-V77 vs DPS-V55

I know that the Sony DPS-V77 is well-regarded by many, but how about the V55 ?? It's essentially a cutdown V77 ? Anyone here ever compared the two ?
Old 23rd August 2006
  #2
Quote:
Originally Posted by rjay View Post
I know that the Sony DPS-V77 is well-regarded by many, but how about the V55 ?? It's essentially a cutdown V77 ? Anyone here ever compared the two ?
No where near.

Whole different animal functionally and sonically.
Old 23rd August 2006
  #3
Banned
 

Quote:
Originally Posted by thethrillfactor View Post
No where near.

Whole different animal functionally and sonically.


How does the DPS-R7 fit into these in quality? Do these have digital in and out?
Old 23rd August 2006
  #4
Quote:
Originally Posted by nethereyes View Post
How does the DPS-R7 fit into these in quality? Do these have digital in and out?
The DPS V-77 is a best of the 7 series(R7,M7,D7,F7)with a couple of its own patches thrown in.

The R7 is great character reverb.

For very dictinctive sounds you want to stand out its killer.

It does take up a ton of space in the mix so you have to use it wisely.

The DPS-V77 to me along with an Eventide is a must have all around effect box in the studio.

Its the 2 pieces in my studio i use on every mix.


And no the R7 doesn't have digital ins, only the DPS-V77 does.

Sonically the R7 is fuller and the DPS-V77 is clearer.
Old 23rd August 2006
  #5
Banned
 

Quote:
Originally Posted by thethrillfactor View Post
The DPS V-77 is a best of the 7 series(R7,M7,D7,F7)with a couple of its own patches thrown in.

The R7 is great character reverb.

For very dictinctive sounds you want to stand out its killer.

It does take up a ton of space in the mix so you have to use it wisely.

The DPS-V77 to me along with an Eventide is a must have all around effect box in the studio.

Its the 2 pieces in my studio i use on every mix.


And no the R7 doesn't have digital ins, only the DPS-V77 does.

Sonically the R7 is fuller and the DPS-V77 is clearer.

Which Eventide is the other key piece? What I'm getting at is what are the top few reverbs and or delays that would be key for most rock music that were made in the last 10-15 years? Some that are undervalued at current sale price and not well known for what they provide.
Old 23rd August 2006
  #6
Quote:
Originally Posted by nethereyes View Post
Which Eventide is the other key piece? What I'm getting at is what are the top few reverbs and or delays that would be key for most rock music that were made in the last 10-15 years? Some that are undervalued at current sale price and not well known for what they provide.

Any Eventide really.

And for rock as well as all styles of popular music it hasn't changed.

Its still the same suspects.

If something is considered undervalued and sounds good won't be for long with posts like this one.
Old 25th August 2006
  #7
The 77 rocks; the 55 sucks.

One sounds great and has all kinds of unique and wonderful sounds. The other is a bland, grainy, noisy, piece of crap that bears no resemblence to it's elder sibling.

The 77 is a great secret weapon, and if anybody has one to sell, I'm buyin'!
Old 27th August 2006
  #8
Lives for gear
 
SnakeCained's Avatar
 

The 55 does one thing well:

Quad plate

This thing really works in surround and there are a couple of other surround patches which are quite good.

For stereo the reverbs and other stuff are fine and well worth the $200 this thing now goes for.
Old 7th October 2006
  #9
Lives for gear
 
ray dsr's Avatar
 

in recent years i've been using analog delays and spring reverbs mostly.

i've been thinking about my trusty v77 lately and want to get it back into rotation. do you guys have any fave patches and settings that you want to share?
Old 7th October 2006
  #10
Lives for gear
 
ray dsr's Avatar
 

i changed the battery in my v77 today. initialized the unit and fired it up.

question: i went into system prefs and set the dry-off to 'off', but some programs still have a mix of wet/dry signal coming through. i checked the manual and it seems i've done it correctly. am i missing something?
Old 27th October 2006
  #11
Gear interested
 

Would anyone recommend the 55 as an economical vocal special effects box?
I would be using it for recording occasional weird vocal effects and I see it also has a Vocoder included in it's effects palatte.
Old 27th October 2006
  #12
Quote:
Originally Posted by Emory Safford View Post
Would anyone recommend the 55 as an economical vocal special effects box?
I would be using it for recording occasional weird vocal effects and I see it also has a Vocoder included in it's effects palatte.
Its dark sounding and not a bad unit.

It just doesn't have effects that stand out and hit you over the head.

I would say its more of a "blend in" than a "look at me i am awesome" type of processor.
Old 27th October 2006
  #13
Lives for gear
 
ray dsr's Avatar
 

any fave settings you guys have on the V77? i'm enjoying having mine back in the fold. i find myself leaning toward the 'large plate'. i also like some of the room verbs.
Old 27th October 2006
  #14
Gear maniac
 
wikaman's Avatar
 

I have problem sync my v77 with aes/ebu. It seems to be looking for the digital all the time find it then switch back to analogue then look again. Had to disconnect the unit and the cable and now I have it in analogue. It is connected to the sony dmx r100. the r100 has external clock (nanosync).
Anyone can help?

Thx
Old 27th October 2006
  #15
AvS
Lives for gear
 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Emory Safford View Post
Would anyone recommend the 55 as an economical vocal special effects box?
I would be using it for recording occasional weird vocal effects and I see it also has a Vocoder included in it's effects palatte.
I have the DPS-V55M. I have no idea how the vocoder works and Ive never heard anyone that got it to work!!! Very strange.
Old 27th October 2006
  #16
Lives for gear
 

Quote:
Originally Posted by thethrillfactor View Post
The DPS V-77 is a best of the 7 series(R7,M7,D7,F7)with a couple of its own patches thrown in.

The R7 is great character reverb.

For very dictinctive sounds you want to stand out its killer.

It does take up a ton of space in the mix so you have to use it wisely.

The DPS-V77 to me along with an Eventide is a must have all around effect box in the studio.

Its the 2 pieces in my studio i use on every mix.


And no the R7 doesn't have digital ins, only the DPS-V77 does.

Sonically the R7 is fuller and the DPS-V77 is clearer.

Ditto on this. I own both mentioned Sonys.

I just love them. I agree about the eventide. I think I'm gonna try to find an H3000 or 4000 one of these days

regards
Old 28th October 2006
  #17
Gear interested
 

Quote:
Originally Posted by thethrillfactor View Post
Its dark sounding and not a bad unit.

It just doesn't have effects that stand out and hit you over the head.

I would say its more of a "blend in" than a "look at me i am awesome" type of processor.
For a $150.00 bucks it sounds like it's gonna be a good start for me anyway.

Out of curiousity what box out there is capable and built for specifically producing insanely twisted effects for vocals and phrasing?
Old 14th February 2007
  #18
Lives for gear
 
theblotted's Avatar
 

Quote:
Originally Posted by ray dsr View Post
i changed the battery in my v77 today. initialized the unit and fired it up.

question: i went into system prefs and set the dry-off to 'off', but some programs still have a mix of wet/dry signal coming through. i checked the manual and it seems i've done it correctly. am i missing something?

Quote:
Originally Posted by ray dsr View Post
any fave settings you guys have on the V77? i'm enjoying having mine back in the fold. i find myself leaning toward the 'large plate'. i also like some of the room verbs.


Bump for these 2 Q's.
Old 14th December 2013
  #19
Gear maniac
 

Necro bump for the above post.

Can't seem to get a wet only signal after an hour with manual and unit.
Old 15th December 2013
  #20
Lives for gear
 
firby's Avatar
 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Emory Safford View Post
For a $150.00 bucks it sounds like it's gonna be a good start for me anyway.

Out of curiousity what box out there is capable and built for specifically producing insanely twisted effects for vocals and phrasing?
I am sorry man. That box is a dud. It just doesn't do anything good. I had it and tried and tried but it isn't a v77 its not a lower end lexicon. I honestly thing that a behringer v-verb is a better box by a very large margin.
Old 22nd December 2013
  #21
Gear maniac
 

K, I'm trying again…

After another morning with the unit (with a fresh battery) and manual I still:

1. Cannot remove the Dry signal from the output… (its wet+dry)

2. Have output on left roughly %50 hotter than right

The unit says "Dry" program is off and the internal mixer shows the dry at -inf.

The L/R inputs of the unit show the same input level and I don't see a separate L/R output like on an H3000.

I've had this unit for almost 2 weeks and can't use it. Is it broken?
Old 22nd December 2013
  #22
Lives for gear
 

Without getting into specifics about the V77 (talking about most boxes in general). Do a factory reset. Make sure if it has a memory protect function that it is turned off to be able to change things.
Old 22nd December 2013
  #23
Gear maniac
 

I should have mentioned that I did do a factory reset (holding "save"+"Enter" while applying pwr) both before and after the battery change.
Old 4th March 2014
  #24
Gear maniac
 

Still looking for help with my issue.

I spent another hour the other day trying to get the unit to output a wet only signal with again no luck.


At this point I may just sell it. Its of no use to me with the dry signal in the mix and also still has significantly hotter output on the left side.

Other than these two issues, the unit works flawlessly…

Also, If any slut is in NYC and champions these units, I'll hire ya to tell me if I'm nuts. I'm at my wits end and just want to use this cool unit I bought months ago and still can't use.
Thread Tools
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search
Similar Threads
Thread
Thread Starter / Forum
Replies
manomanoman / So much gear, so little time!
52
M. Carr / Gearslutz Secondhand Gear Classifieds
0
rolo / Gearslutz Secondhand Gear Classifieds
3
M. Carr / Gearslutz Secondhand Gear Classifieds
0

Forum Jump
 
Register FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

SEO by vBSEO ©2011, Crawlability, Inc.