Bose L1 compact vs Lucas Nano 300
New Reply
Subscribe
marcnyc
4th April 2013
Old 4th April 2013
Gear maniac

Bose L1 compact vs Lucas Nano 300

I am considering buying one of these systems (while I'm open to suggestions for similar systems if you have any) mostly to connect to my projector and play movies on my roof and in my home, occasionally maybe having over musicians in my living room who need a mic for a vocal.

I've listened to both systems separately at the Bose store and at NAMM but never had the opportunity to really AB...

Has anyone else compared these or have any info as to pro's and con's of one vs the other?

THanks
4th April 2013
Old 4th April 2013
Lives for gear

Interesting question, neither would be what I'd choose for listening to music on the roof, for a couple of reasons:

1. the L1 isn't stereo. You lose something in playing recorded music in mono.
2. Neither has great bass response out of the box, so you're going to want a sub-woofer for modern music, losing the portability factor.

And both are overkill for just micing up someone in the living room...

There are a lot of small PAs out there, most of which share the same issues of cost and scalability, so in the end I've gone with a light but decent power amp and a pair of nice PA speakers. I can use a small direct box to plug into the amp if I just want to play music, or mount it with a rackmount mixer (Rolls makes a decent one in one rack space) for music.

Peavey IPR1600-8#, $250 on Ebay
Rolls Rackmount Mixer $100 from GC
Small rack, $49 at local music store
Pair of EV Sx200 speakers, $250 at a Pawn shop
Speaker Stands $50 from MF on sale

Total is $700, weighs a bit more than an L1/Sub combo and takes two trips but it puts out 125 dB and sounds great!
marcnyc
4th April 2013
Old 4th April 2013
Gear maniac

Thanks for your answer...
Actually I am pretty sure the Bose L1 compact is stereo... I am sure they don't have great bass responses but the lack of cables and ease of transportation and setup are appealing considering it will have to move from roof to downstairs etc...
4th April 2013
Old 4th April 2013
Lives for gear

The L1 accepts stereo inputs, but the power amp/speaker array is mono, so you're going to lose the stereo image-not a terrible problem but a problem none-the-less. If you don't need stereo, then a single lightweight powered speaker and a small mixer is going to be more complete sound and a better financial deal (Bose is expensive, even used).

A Peavey Impulse 12D is a great sounding speaker, for example, at $599. A speaker stand (or a chair!) and a $100 mixer and you're done. The system will weigh 45# vs the Bose 30#, but will still only require a single trip with 2 hands full of gear. If you're got the cash, though, I do think the Nano is a better solution for recorded (stereo) sound (and add a sub if the anemic bass bothers you-it did me).
4th April 2013
Old 4th April 2013
Lives for gear

Fishman SA220. Great sound and more features than L1.
4th April 2013
Old 4th April 2013
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by diamondjim View Post
And cheaper (discounted at $600 recently on Hello Music) BUT still mono and definitely lacking in bass for recorded music.
marcnyc
4th April 2013
Old 4th April 2013
Gear maniac

Quote:
Originally Posted by diamondjim View Post
yeah I would definitely want something with a sub...
27th May 2013
Old 27th May 2013
Gear interested

Bose v nan0 300

Hi

I own both these PA systems.
The BOSE is great, but definitely mono. With 2 of the B2 bass bins attached it really does pump out a lot of bass. Certainly enough for 150 people.

The HK nano, is absolutely superb too.
It's amazing for it's size, and I actually disagree with the Bass bin thing, I have to wind the bass down for my shows, lots further down than the BOSE L1.

When you wind the system up, its pretty incredible for it's size. And the stereo option does help with dispersion for me personally. Especially when there is an odd shaped room.

I have found feedback to be less of a problem with the HK too.

In all honesty, I will probably sell my BOse and pick up another Nano 300 and run them as a stereo pair. ( not an option with BOSE btw ).

So cheap too. You won't be disappointed with the HK.
27th May 2013
Old 27th May 2013
Gear nut

I only have the Nano 300 so I can't compare. But I can say that I am extremely happy with it. Volume and bass are incredible for the size and prize, clarity is good and it's very versatile: stereo, mono w/o cables, various inputs, extendable. I use it as small PA, singer/songwriter gigs and keyboard monitor (for the first time in >30 years of playing I have good sound on stage...).
New Reply Submit Thread to Facebook Facebook  Submit Thread to Twitter Twitter  Submit Thread to LinkedIn LinkedIn  Submit Thread to Google+ Google+ 

Topic:
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search