Login / Register

Yamaha HS50M studio monitors discontinued?
New Reply
Subscribe
mcnitt
27th March 2013
Old 27th March 2013
Gear interested

Yamaha HS50M studio monitors discontinued?

I just went to order a set of Yamaha HS50M studio monitors and was informed by Ryan M. at Sweetwater.com that Sweetwater was sold out and will not be getting more since Yamaha has discontinued the HS50M's. Has anyone else heard this? Sweetwater wasn't sure if another speaker was replacing it. Seems very odd given it's one of the best selling studio monitors. I do notice that HS50M's are on sale on many sites but I couldn't find any information about them being discontinued. The Yamaha site does not show any new models.
27th March 2013
Old 27th March 2013
Jai guru deva om

I spoke with my rep about the HS series about a week ago, and they did not have any plans at that moment in time to do away with the HS50M or HS80M, but he did inform me the HS50M is on a very long backorder right now.

Oddly at this very moment in time Sweetwater's own site lists them as in stock.

We have a pair in stock, unfortunately they are fully modified so we have no factory models!

War

4th April 2013
Old 4th April 2013
Gear nut

Interesting. I just checked the Sweetwater page right now, and it says:

"Sorry, the Yamaha HS50M is no longer available. We've left this page up for reference only..."

Does this make them vintage?
mcnitt
4th April 2013
Old 4th April 2013
Gear interested

True story! Yamaha HS50M | Sweetwater.com Wonder what's going on?

I ended up ordering a pair from FrontEnd Audio and have been using them for the past two days. Love 'em! Will be holding on to them for dear life now...
4th April 2013
Old 4th April 2013
Jai guru deva om

I just emailed Yamaha directly to ask, should know tomorrow!

Seems odd, I know the HS80M is still going strong.

We rarely sell the 50 though, so maybe it wasn't that good of a seller for them overall.

War
4th April 2013
Old 4th April 2013
Jai guru deva om

As an update, Yamaha's initial response from their order fulfillment center is that they have not been told it's officially gone and they are under the impression more inventory is coming.

That is all I know, they aren't real sure maybe...!

War
14th April 2013
Old 14th April 2013
Gear interested

Hello all ,
Well the new line up will be out in July ... HS5 , HS7 and HS8 . The HS8 seems like it's an improvement on the HS80m's . Seems a bit more linear .
Regards .
10th May 2013
Old 10th May 2013
Gear interested

Quote:
Originally Posted by warhead View Post
I spoke with my rep about the HS series about a week ago, and they did not have any plans at that moment in time to do away with the HS50M or HS80M, but he did inform me the HS50M is on a very long backorder right now.

Oddly at this very moment in time Sweetwater's own site lists them as in stock.

We have a pair in stock, unfortunately they are fully modified so we have no factory models!

War
Hi, was wondering, what will than happen to the bulk of people who have already paid to backorder the HS50M already as I am one of these people. I have actually waited for 2 and a half months already. When i made the purchase at the shop, they told me that I might have to wait for 2 weeks for the order to come by. I was fine it waiting for 2 weeks so I paid up front, got the receipt and left. Called them 2 weeks later and they said it havn't arrived yet. Called 1 month later and still... no news. Called them recently and now they said it was discontinued and the HS5 might come in around June-July...

So after waiting this long...

Will I be forced to get the HS5 and make a top-up?
28th May 2013
Old 28th May 2013
Lives for gear

Well with claimed better amps, woofer, tweeter, and quieter what's not to love?
28th May 2013
Old 28th May 2013
Lives for gear

They probably got a hold of a zen pro mod and decided to incorporate it into the new line!
30th May 2013
Old 30th May 2013
Gear interested

Send a message via Skype™ to adamspade.com
Well, I'm sure the new ones are great. But I just ordered a new pair of HS50m's for $300 on Amazon. For the price... I'll take the good old proven to work models and keep $100 to buy other gear. They are going to look great next to my mixcubes. ha!
mcnitt
31st May 2013
Old 31st May 2013
Gear interested

Quote:
Originally Posted by adamspade.com View Post
Well, I'm sure the new ones are great. But I just ordered a new pair of HS50m's for $300 on Amazon. For the price... I'll take the good old proven to work models and keep $100 to buy other gear.
That's how I feel about my recent purchase of the new, "classic" HS50m's. The HS7's (6.5" woofers) seem attractive for being able to hear more low end, but maybe not for double the price ($600/pr).
31st May 2013
Old 31st May 2013
Jai guru deva om

They are officially replaced by the HS5, those start shipping in a few days it seems. Yamaha told me today they believe ours will be on the way as of tomorrow is all I know.

On the electronics / mod side, I just don't know what has changed and we are eager to crack them open to know.

War
31st May 2013
Old 31st May 2013
Jai guru deva om

Quote:
Originally Posted by setsuro View Post
Hi, was wondering, what will than happen to the bulk of people who have already paid to backorder the HS50M already as I am one of these people. I have actually waited for 2 and a half months already. When i made the purchase at the shop, they told me that I might have to wait for 2 weeks for the order to come by. I was fine it waiting for 2 weeks so I paid up front, got the receipt and left. Called them 2 weeks later and they said it havn't arrived yet. Called 1 month later and still... no news. Called them recently and now they said it was discontinued and the HS5 might come in around June-July...

So after waiting this long...

Will I be forced to get the HS5 and make a top-up?
I do not know, you could ask them for your money back if you don't want the new HS5. Seems odd to treat you this way.

War
ILL
31st May 2013
Old 31st May 2013
ILL
Gear maniac

@warhead

Really looking forward to hearing what you think. I'm currently deciding between the HS80/HS8 and Event 2030s but can't really listen to all of them side by side.
1st June 2013
Old 1st June 2013
Gear interested

Hi!
First post here. I've picked up a pair of Hs5 yesterday, came home quite late next to midnight. Planned to only unpack then sleep but been stuck for almost three hours now, playing records.

Thought about buy Hs8s in time but like the sound of it alone. Anyway I'm tuned in for more info about Yamaha Hs series!
ECM
1st June 2013
Old 1st June 2013
ECM
Gear addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by ILL View Post
@warhead

Really looking forward to hearing what you think. I'm currently deciding between the HS80/HS8 and Event 2030s but can't really listen to all of them side by side.

20/30's will be a level up from them (They are a big improvement over HS80m for example in pretty much every area.)
ILL
1st June 2013
Old 1st June 2013
ILL
Gear maniac

Quote:
Originally Posted by ECM View Post
20/30's will be a level up from them (They are a big improvement over HS80m for example in pretty much every area.)
Thanks, that's what I figured too. The "problem" is that I can buy the HS80 for ~530e, the HS8 for about 680 and the 2030s for ~1000.
ECM
1st June 2013
Old 1st June 2013
ECM
Gear addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by ILL View Post
Thanks, that's what I figured too. The "problem" is that I can buy the HS80 for ~530e, the HS8 for about 680 and the 2030s for ~1000.

Yes, they are not really the same competition for each other, big price difference, bit unfair to compare. You should take a look at the Adam F7 to consider with the new HS8.
New Reply Submit Thread to Facebook Facebook  Submit Thread to Twitter Twitter  Submit Thread to LinkedIn LinkedIn  Submit Thread to Google+ Google+ 

Topic:
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search