Login / Register
 
Kenetek 1176 vs purple MC77 for vocals?
New Reply
Subscribe
Fendert
Thread Starter
#1
26th March 2013
Old 26th March 2013
  #1
Gear maniac
 
Joined: Feb 2010
Posts: 150

Thread Starter
Fendert is offline
Kenetek 1176 vs purple MC77 for vocals?

Hey guys I'm between these two 1176 clones. I've heard the Kenetek in action and love it, but I have heard a lot of talk about how great the purple MC77 is. I was wondering if anyone has any experience with both? Which would be better for vocals?

Thanks guys!
#2
26th March 2013
Old 26th March 2013
  #2
Lives for gear
 
Rick Carson's Avatar
 
Joined: Sep 2008
Location: Omaha Nebraska
Posts: 1,417

Rick Carson is online now
Kenetek for me all day.
#3
6th September 2013
Old 6th September 2013
  #3
Gear Head
 
Joined: Aug 2011
Posts: 41

k.shamburger is offline
Bump.
#4
6th September 2013
Old 6th September 2013
  #4
Lives for gear
 
kittonian's Avatar
 
Joined: Sep 2003
Location: Austin, TX
Posts: 4,578
My Recordings/Credits

kittonian is offline
Never heard the Kenetek, but the Purple MC77 is always on my lead vocal chain. Love that box!
__________________
Joshua Aaron
President/Chief Engineer
AudioLot/AudioLot Studios
High End Pro Audio Sales & Consulting
Recording/Music Production/Mixing

http://www.audiolot.com

Follow AudioLot on Facebook for AudioLot's BIG DEAL Gear Specials, Morning Mix Tips, and more by clicking here
Quote
2
#5
6th September 2013
Old 6th September 2013
  #5
Gear addict
 
garyboy2024's Avatar
 
Joined: Apr 2012
Posts: 300

garyboy2024 is offline
Sorry to give you another option, but I really like the Mohog 1176 clone as well. More versatile than the others too since it has switchable output transformers. Just something else to consider
Quote
1
#6
6th September 2013
Old 6th September 2013
  #6
Lives for gear
 
rob S's Avatar
 
Joined: Nov 2006
Location: silverlake
Posts: 1,544

rob S is offline
Havent heard the kenetek.
The purples are bright.
Not that thats bad but just depends on source.
Mohogs are awesome.
Love the ability to switch the xfmrs.
Its like a tone switch.
Very excited to try the infratronics.
Should be here today......
Quote
1
#7
20th September 2013
Old 20th September 2013
  #7
Telling it like it is
 
ionian's Avatar
 
Joined: May 2010
Location: Queens, NY
Posts: 3,962

ionian is online now
Quote:
Originally Posted by rob S View Post
Havent heard the kenetek.
The purples are bright.
Not that thats bad but just depends on source.
Mohogs are awesome.
Love the ability to switch the xfmrs.
Its like a tone switch.
Very excited to try the infratronics.
Should be here today......
Did you ever get to try the infratronics? That unit's caught my eye recently.

Thanks,
Frank
__________________
My equipment: A Commodore 64, 2 1541 Disk Drives, Dr T's Music Studio and a Casiotone CT-460.

www.frankperri.com

Never listen to opinions regarding gear. For every 50 nobodies on Gearslutz that say a piece of gear doesn't sound good enough to cut it, I know at least one somebody who is cutting it in NYC with that piece of gear.

Remember kids, Gearslutz is for entertainment purposes only.
#8
20th September 2013
Old 20th September 2013
  #8
Lives for gear
 
softwareguy's Avatar
 
Joined: Oct 2005
Location: Los Angeles
Posts: 917

softwareguy is offline
Has anyone used both Purple and Kenetek?
#9
20th September 2013
Old 20th September 2013
  #9
Lives for gear
 
rob S's Avatar
 
Joined: Nov 2006
Location: silverlake
Posts: 1,544

rob S is offline
Quote:
Originally Posted by ionian View Post
Did you ever get to try the infratronics? That unit's caught my eye recently.

Thanks,
Frank

yes the infratronic is really good.
totally nails the aggression of an 1176.
more so than the purple and mohog.
dont get me wrong, i love the mohog,
but there is a certain quality of the tone to the infratronics that seemed more like a urei. perhaps, as warren was saying, its the ed anderson xfrnrs that make the difference.
i dont know nor do i care really.
it sounds friggin good
gain structure seems very familiar and like an original too.
Quote
1
#10
20th September 2013
Old 20th September 2013
  #10
Telling it like it is
 
ionian's Avatar
 
Joined: May 2010
Location: Queens, NY
Posts: 3,962

ionian is online now
Quote:
Originally Posted by rob S View Post
yes the infratronic is really good.
totally nails the aggression of an 1176.
more so than the purple and mohog.
dont get me wrong, i love the mohog,
but there is a certain quality of the tone to the infratronics that seemed more like a urei. perhaps, as warren was saying, its the ed anderson xfrnrs that make the difference.
i dont know nor do i care really.
it sounds friggin good
gain structure seems very familiar and like an original too.
Awesome to hear! Thanks for writing back!

Regards,
Frank
#11
13th October 2013
Old 13th October 2013
  #11
Gear interested
 
Joined: Aug 2013
Posts: 5

ewok_poacher is offline
I've been interested in the Infratronics too. I've also looked at the Revive M76. Been wondering how close overall they would compare...and the Mnats rev D.
#12
1 Week Ago
Old 1 Week Ago
  #12
Gear interested
 
GwinnerStudios's Avatar
 
Joined: Jul 2010
Location: Norman,OK
Posts: 18

Send a message via Skype™ to GwinnerStudios
GwinnerStudios is offline
#13
6 Days Ago
Old 6 Days Ago
  #13
Lives for gear
 
Vintageidiot's Avatar
 
Joined: Sep 2010
Location: West Coast
Posts: 1,279

Vintageidiot is online now
I heard that Purple MC77 in a listening test at a major retailer with the most expensive monitors and it thinned out everything that touched it. No thanks.....

Unless my ears were having a bad day, which I always say another day test would substantiate that finding....
__________________
Beauty is in the ear of the beholder.......
#14
6 Days Ago
Old 6 Days Ago
  #14
Gear maniac
 
omnialinx's Avatar
 
Joined: Mar 2013
Location: Minneapolis
Posts: 280

omnialinx is offline
Quote:
Originally Posted by Vintageidiot View Post
I heard that Purple MC77 in a listening test at a major retailer with the most expensive monitors and it thinned out everything that touched it. No thanks.....

Unless my ears were having a bad day, which I always say another day test would substantiate that finding....
Then your ears were having a bad day.
In all seriousness the difference between the aforementioned is indeed subtle while also being noticeable but none of them have ever sounded thin to me (I've not heard the infratronics though).
IIRC I believe that the Purple is the closest to the original out of the bunch. Ive also heard a few people say they liked the purple more. But as im sure you know its all subjective.
I got to use a mohog 76 just the other day and compared it to a couple of my diy 1176's as well as a wa76 and that switchable transformer really puts it in a class all its own. What an awesome feature.
#15
6 Days Ago
Old 6 Days Ago
  #15
Lives for gear
 
Vintageidiot's Avatar
 
Joined: Sep 2010
Location: West Coast
Posts: 1,279

Vintageidiot is online now
Likely not, it was not alone in the thin forest among another 1176 reissue....
#16
6 Days Ago
Old 6 Days Ago
  #16
Gear nut
 
nyandres's Avatar
 
Joined: May 2014
Posts: 87

nyandres is offline
Quote:
Originally Posted by omnialinx View Post
Then your ears were having a bad day.
In all seriousness the difference between the aforementioned is indeed subtle while also being noticeable but none of them have ever sounded thin to me (I've not heard the infratronics though).
IIRC I believe that the Purple is the closest to the original out of the bunch. Ive also heard a few people say they liked the purple more. But as im sure you know its all subjective.
I got to use a mohog 76 just the other day and compared it to a couple of my diy 1176's as well as a wa76 and that switchable transformer really puts it in a class all its own. What an awesome feature.
The Kenetek is actually much closer to the original. It's made out of all UREI parts. It is pretty much an UREI. Anyways kenetek any day if the purple is anything like the UA. The Kenetek sounds incredible. Along my buzz the best compressor in my rack
New Reply Submit Thread to Facebook Facebook  Submit Thread to Twitter Twitter  Submit Thread to LinkedIn LinkedIn  Submit Thread to Google+ Google+ 
 
Topic:
Thread Tools
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search
Similar Threads
Thread
Thread Starter / Forum
Replies
SoundUniverse / So much gear, so little time!
23
ELI-173 / So much gear, so little time!
0
oceantracks / Remote Possibilities in Acoustic Music & Location Recording
15
superann / Remote Possibilities in Acoustic Music & Location Recording
7
chessparov / Remote Possibilities in Acoustic Music & Location Recording
33

Forum Jump

SEO by vBSEO ©2011, Crawlability, Inc.