New Reply
Subscribe
patdcp
19th March 2013
Old 19th March 2013
Gear Head

Kick Mic to compliment my D6

Hi!

I own a D6, always liked it for modern klicky tones, but now is the first time, that i´ll record a more Vintage styled Rockband, think Soundgarden, Led Zeppelin, Graveyard,Clutch etc.

My question is now: What Mics do you suggest for a second Mic to emphasize the Mids (which are totally scooped in the D6). Is it a good way to add a second mic, or do you think: " screw it, drop the D6, take a whole different mic such as AKG d112 etc."

Your help is very much appreciated!
19th March 2013
Old 19th March 2013
Gear interested

Hi, You could try the D112 or even beter an old D12 ( position is crucial with these) or a Re20 , or even a md421, you see there are lots of alternative, (i wouldn't go for the beta52, too modern and close to the D6 IMO)
19th March 2013
Old 19th March 2013
Gear Guru

D12
19th March 2013
Old 19th March 2013
Gear maniac

Sennheiser MD421
19th March 2013
Old 19th March 2013
Lives for gear

My Recordings/Credits

mic the front of the bass drum back about a foot or so, for this I use a Soundelux U195, but a D12 would probably work well with this, blend the two sources to get just about anything you want.
19th March 2013
Old 19th March 2013
Lives for gear

Beta52 if you want complete opposite from the D6. In fact, I pretty much always have both a Beta91 and Beta52 setup on my kick drum. That setup hasn't moved in months because the kick drum seems to come out perfect every time. The Beta91 compliments the B52 perfectly.
https://www.facebook.com/hightolerance

It's the indian, not the arrow...
patdcp
19th March 2013
Old 19th March 2013
Gear Head

Quote:
Originally Posted by Musiclab View Post
mic the front of the bass drum back about a foot or so, for this I use a Soundelux U195, but a D12 would probably work well with this, blend the two sources to get just about anything you want.
What i have right now is a Glyn John Setup, and so my Front of Kit Mic (AKG 414) is positioned between 15 and 20 inches away from the Kick. To get enough of the whole Kit and especially the snare in this Glyn John scenario, it´s positioned on the level where the Kick-Rim is at highest, aiming towards the center of the snare.

Do you guys think, this Mic could work as my second Kick Mic as well as my Glyn John FOK mic?!? Cause it´s position is in fact really high for a Kick Mic,or not?!?

I´m running out of time a bit, the Kit is set, and it´s already miked, we´re starting tracking this week, but i have to work work so much in my daytime job at the moment, that i just can´t go there and try for hours,haha
patdcp
19th March 2013
Old 19th March 2013
Gear Head

..and what do you think about trying my Shure SM7 B?
19th March 2013
Old 19th March 2013
Lives for gear

My Recordings/Credits

Quote:
Originally Posted by patdcp View Post
What i have right now is a Glyn John Setup, and so my Front of Kit Mic (AKG 414) is positioned between 15 and 20 inches away from the Kick. To get enough of the whole Kit and especially the snare in this Glyn John scenario, it´s positioned on the level where the Kick-Rim is at highest, aiming towards the center of the snare.

Do you guys think, this Mic could work as my second Kick Mic as well as my Glyn John FOK mic?!? Cause it´s position is in fact really high for a Kick Mic,or not?!?

I´m running out of time a bit, the Kit is set, and it´s already miked, we´re starting tracking this week, but i have to work work so much in my daytime job at the moment, that i just can´t go there and try for hours,haha
Are you happy with this Glyn John's setup sound?, I hope the music you are recording is not too dense, because if it is, you're SOL. Personally I would NEVER record that way, I'll probably get a lot of flack for this but I'd rather put up a million mics and then if I wanted that sound I could delete them later or mute them. You need a real good room and a drummer with a great internal balance for GJ. Your D6 should work fine with the 414, it's really whether or not the GJ approach will work for your recording
19th March 2013
Old 19th March 2013
Lives for gear

Quote:
..and what do you think about trying my Shure SM7 B?
Definitely try it. I like this mike on kick quite a lot if I don't want a lot of attack/click. I expect it would be a nice complement to the D6.
"If you have to flip back and forward, A/Bing to work out the differences, it's not "night and day" - any more than you have to blink many times to work out the difference between dark and light." Psycho_Monkey
patdcp
19th March 2013
Old 19th March 2013
Gear Head

Quote:
Originally Posted by Musiclab View Post
Are you happy with this Glyn John's setup sound?, I hope the music you are recording is not too dense, because if it is, you're SOL. Personally I would NEVER record that way, I'll probably get a lot of flack for this but I'd rather put up a million mics and then if I wanted that sound I could delete them later or mute them. You need a real good room and a drummer with a great internal balance for GJ. Your D6 should work fine with the 414, it's really whether or not the GJ approach will work for your recording

Actually i didn´t track yet with it, we´re going to start nex week,and actually, i have a full miked Kit with a spaced pair OH, and set up also the Glyn Johns to experiment with it, cause it´s a small kit, and i had some spare channels.

looks like that:

1.Kick 1
2.Kick 2
3. Snare Top
4. Snare Bottom
5. Tom 1
6. Tom 2
7. HH
8. Ride
9. Overhead L Spaced Pair
10. Overhead R Spaced Pair
11. Glyn Johns Overhead Center
12. Glyn Johns "Low Tom overhead"
13. Front of Kit (which also can work with the Spaced Pair)
14. Room L
15. Room R
16. For additional Guitarideas during tracking
19th March 2013
Old 19th March 2013
Lives for gear

The D6 is great for metal , but for a more natural or different tone to the D6 I Usually use the D112 , I really dig the sound of that and can be used on all styles . I just picked up the new D12VR which is also an amazing mic that has the eq position switches so you can get a vast pallette of tones from classic to modern . For Kick duties I just use 2 mics at the most . Inside the Kick 4 inches from the beater (just to the right) and a yamaha sub Kick mic . Or if you use 1 mic plae it about 2 or 3 " inside the air hole on the front skin . This really gets a lot of low end , but you really need to find that resonating spot .
19th March 2013
Old 19th March 2013
Gear nut

Heil Pr40.. Really..
19th March 2013
Old 19th March 2013
Jai guru deva om

I like the 421 suggestion best overall, it would be very mid-focused (kind of thin on bottom but can be EQ'd nicely).

War

19th March 2013
Old 19th March 2013
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by ARIEL View Post
Or if you use 1 mic plae it about 2 or 3 " inside the air hole on the front skin . This really gets a lot of low end , but you really need to find that resonating spot .
^^

Two mics will give more flexibility at mix down, but if you know the sound you want a single mic placed around the hole of the front can give a great sound.
19th March 2013
Old 19th March 2013
Lives for gear

i really love the D6 for the newer stuff
RE20 is great for a more retro sound, although the D6 equed can sound also retro, if the BD sounds retro in the first place

Just do it
19th March 2013
Old 19th March 2013
Gear addict

I use a d6 if I need a "modern" kick sound from one mic.

For more "normal" sounds with some flexibility, I use an re20 and at4033 together.

I am growing less fond of the d6 the more I use it, which is not often. Awesome for live metal kick though. Or for drummers who hit the kick drum way too much.
19th March 2013
Old 19th March 2013
Lives for gear

My Recordings/Credits

Quote:
Actually i didn´t track yet with it, we´re going to start nex week,and actually, i have a full miked Kit with a spaced pair OH, and set up also the Glyn Johns to experiment with it, cause it´s a small kit, and i had some spare channels.

looks like that:

1.Kick 1
2.Kick 2
3. Snare Top
4. Snare Bottom
5. Tom 1
6. Tom 2
7. HH
8. Ride
9. Overhead L Spaced Pair
10. Overhead R Spaced Pair
11. Glyn Johns Overhead Center
12. Glyn Johns "Low Tom overhead"
13. Front of Kit (which also can work with the Spaced Pair)
14. Room L
15. Room R
16. For additional Guitarideas during tracking
very good
19th March 2013
Old 19th March 2013
Lives for gear

My Recordings/Credits

Quote:
Originally Posted by ARIEL View Post
The D6 is great for metal , but for a more natural or different tone to the D6 I Usually use the D112 , I really dig the sound of that and can be used on all styles . I just picked up the new D12VR which is also an amazing mic that has the eq position switches so you can get a vast pallette of tones from classic to modern . For Kick duties I just use 2 mics at the most . Inside the Kick 4 inches from the beater (just to the right) and a yamaha sub Kick mic . Or if you use 1 mic plae it about 2 or 3 " inside the air hole on the front skin . This really gets a lot of low end , but you really need to find that resonating spot .
the thing with the D6 that works best is when it's part of the sound, rather than the whole sound. Also the D6 is VERY placement sensitive, but I've been very pleased with the sound paired with a soundelux u195. As far as the D112 call me a hater, I never liked it, whereas I did very much like the D12E which I still own, also really good is the Beyer M88. The sub kicks just seem too slow for me. Also another important part of my drum sound is using a few Little Lab's IBP's
19th March 2013
Old 19th March 2013
Lives for gear

The sub Kick comes in handy when you use the D112 or D6 right up close for the attack and the sub kicked mixed in only around 40 % . Sometimes I don;t need it and just use Little Labs VOG . Yes depending on your mixing style , when you have more sound coming from room or OH mics , the kick mic becomes more of the low end support and the individual mic seems less heard . I still dig the D112 , it takes quite a bit of EQ to get it to sound right and I have learned after recording tons of drums that a lot of the sound is also from the Kick itself , size , skin etc .
20th March 2013
Old 20th March 2013
Gear addict

I borrowed a sub kick for our last cd and it was killer. I dont have access this time around so Im using a Senn E902 and a D112. the 902 gives it the top and bottom that may be similar to what you're getting with the Audix and the d112 fills in the mids nicely.
patdcp
20th March 2013
Old 20th March 2013
Gear Head

What do you guys think about:

D112 in the kick ( the drummer removed the frontskin) with a Ribbon a foot or so away from the Kickdrum?!?
20th March 2013
Old 20th March 2013
Lives for gear

That combo will sound good for sure , But I am not a big fan of the front skin being removed . It seems to take away the lovely resonance and tones , but try a quick test . Record a solid groove with front skin and without , play it back and that will reveal what works best .
New Reply Submit Thread to Facebook Facebook  Submit Thread to Twitter Twitter  Submit Thread to LinkedIn LinkedIn  Submit Thread to Google+ Google+ 

Topic:
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search