Login / Register

Is it worth using my OTB gear for summing?
New Reply
Subscribe
Mystic Muse
16th March 2013
Old 16th March 2013
Gear nut

Is it worth using my OTB gear for summing?

I have some pretty high end 500 series processors (mic pre's, eq's, stereo bus compressor). So is it worth going towards the trouble of using my OTB gear for analog summing? I mean is there really going to be a noticable difference? When I first tried it out it seemed to be tedious, confusing, and I didn't seem to notice much out of it. I would think with my Neve's, stereo bus comp and inward connections step eq, I could really get things going but still I have that lingering doubt that its even worth it at all. Assigning channels messing with my terrible snake cables changing the entire I/O menu in PT lots of trouble but is it worth it?
16th March 2013
Old 16th March 2013
Lives for gear

You could get away with not summing at all with all that gear.

Nice front end , plus outboard, into back end should equal decent signal to noise ratio, less loss of transients and mojo.

There are some other threads on here about ITB and OTB and summing in general.

Cheers
16th March 2013
Old 16th March 2013
Lives for gear

You really have to try.. output 16 tracks, process some, then sum them again into a summing mixer. It's a well established way of working..
16th March 2013
Old 16th March 2013
Gear Guru

You need a passive summing mixer and a patch bay.
I mix like this all the time and it's really just a case of inserting 4 to 8 cables in my patch bay (connecting micpre's and compressor) and assigning the outs in my DAW.
16th March 2013
Old 16th March 2013
Lives for gear

I hate to state the obvious here but your the only one who can decide if its worth it.
Does it sound better?Do you have the time to mess with it?Does it even matter for your material?
Either way,it will take time and practice to know what your doing with all that gear and great monitors to be able to tell the difference.
I have found that for "ME" its not worth it.
New Reply Submit Thread to Facebook Facebook  Submit Thread to Twitter Twitter  Submit Thread to LinkedIn LinkedIn  Submit Thread to Google+ Google+ 

Topic:
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search