Ribbon or LDC first?
szczur
14th March 2013
Old 14th March 2013
Gear interested

Ribbon or LDC first?

Hey Guys,

good day from Europe .

Well my main question is, which should i buy first a Ribbon or an LDC?
We would like to record some of our tracks, but we have no singer at the moment, so there is no question due to record some vocals.

Musicstyle: 70´s Rock/Funk

Following Instruments will be recorded:
- Drums (Small Tamburo Kit)
- Bass (Orange PA120 with 1x15" EV + 2x10" SWR)
- Acoustic Guitar (Larrivee D09/Martin OM21)
- Electric Guitar (Rivera Chubster40 1x12")
- Tenor Saxophone (Selmar)

Our Consol is an Allen & Heath ZED R16

Actually we have the following mics:
- 1 x Sennheiser 906
- 1 x Electro Voice RE20
- 1 x Shure SM58
- 2 x Oktava MK-012 MSP4
- 1 x Beyer MC530
- 2 x Beyer TGX 58

My budget for the next mic is max 800 €.
So if you could also recommend some, that would be very nice

Thx and Greetz
Dave
szczur
14th March 2013
Old 14th March 2013
Gear interested

Is there a Trick how you Guys will answer my questions??? Or does Nobody answer due to the fact that i'm a recording beginner and this is only a nose up pro Forum??
14th March 2013
Old 14th March 2013
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by szczur View Post
Is there a Trick how you Guys will answer my questions??? Or does Nobody answer due to the fact that i'm a recording beginner and this is only a nose up pro Forum??
My guess would be because people were either asleep (musicians!!) or at work when you wrote your original post.

My recommendation would be an LDC first. I love ribbons but they are more specialized IMHO (I use them on voices or instruments that are overly bright on most condensers, or if going for an intentional retro vibe). In your budget look at the very versatile sounding Lauten Clarion

Clarion - FC-357

Lauten Clarion FC-357 opinions?

or if you can stretch your budget the Mojave MA-200 or Peluso P12, both great mics in this range.
14th March 2013
Old 14th March 2013
Gear addict

This is a very general question, which leads to potentially a large or very short answer. Perhaps this is why no one has spoke up yet.

70's funk is your style? Then very tight sounds with little room sound? Or is it more live vibe a la the JB's?

Most ribbon mics are figure 8 polar pattern so they pick up a lot of the room. I love these for vibe, though for a tight/no room sound, this would not be a good choice, unless you choose a Beyerdynamic cardiod pattern mic. If you want a room sound with vibe, maybe an AEA r84. Ribbons can take a lot of eq and still sound good.

LDC's are more controlled...for your price range maybe Mojave or Audio Technica...less vibe, but very easy to control pick up patterns.

Tools. That is what these are, but more so, it how you use the tools, and your creativity.
szczur
14th March 2013
Old 14th March 2013
Gear interested

Quote:
Originally Posted by NathanEldred View Post
My guess would be because people were either asleep (musicians!!) or at work when you wrote your original post.

My recommendation would be an LDC first. I love ribbons but they are more specialized IMHO (I use them on voices or instruments that are overly bright on most condensers, or if going for an intentional retro vibe). In your budget look at the very versatile sounding Lauten Clarion

Clarion - FC-357

Lauten Clarion FC-357 opinions?

or if you can stretch your budget the Mojave MA-200 or Peluso P12, both great mics in this range.
Hi,

first of all thank you and also thx to Chaos.
Well > 250 views without any response (???) ok, let´s think that the guys are sleeping

Our room is not the best one, so i would try to avoid to record to much from the space there.

I will take a look at the LDC´s which how have recommended me, but be careful, maybe i´ll come back with further questions

Greetz
Dave
15th March 2013
Old 15th March 2013
Gear maniac

Hello,

Could think another way...
Wich mic do you use over wich intrument on the moment? Are you happy with the result?
Maybe for 800€ there is no need to buy one mic, but some specific mics to improve the sound you already have...
15th March 2013
Old 15th March 2013
Gear nut

It seems like you have good mics for recording drums, bass and acoustic guitar already. For electric guitar and saxophone a ribbon could be useful. Like a Cascade Fathead f ex. Not very expensive.
15th March 2013
Old 15th March 2013
Gear addict

A utility LDC will get you a lot more universal mileage than a ribbon!
szczur
16th March 2013
Old 16th March 2013
Gear interested

We use the mics...
Kick: RE20
Snare: Sennheiser 906
Overhead: MK012

Bassguitar: 1x15" RE20
1x10" TGX58

Acoustic: MK012

Electric G.: RE20 or Sennheiser

Sax: RE20

but i think that an LDC will be nice as a second mic in front of the guitar amp or Additional to the RE20 at Sax.
16th March 2013
Old 16th March 2013
LDC I just auditioned a Blue Spark mic and think it's fantastic. Would make a good all purpose starter mic as it has a switch that basically gives you two mics: one brighter, and one more neutral.
szczur
17th March 2013
Old 17th March 2013
Gear interested

Ok i have brought an AT4050, it was a good shot in eBay,so let's see how it will work for us. I will write my Feedback here ; ).
18th March 2013
Old 18th March 2013
Lives for gear
room treatment

great choice now use the money you saved to make some diy room treatment read article at real traps, even a $5,000 mike won't sound so good in a bad room !
18th March 2013
Old 18th March 2013
Lives for gear

Quote:
French?
18th March 2013
Old 18th March 2013
Gear nut

+1
Excellent choice....such great bang for the buck with that one!
18th March 2013
Old 18th March 2013
Lives for gear

Good idea on that purchase. I could probably "get by just fine" without ribbons, but, not good LDC. I do like ribbon mics, though.
szczur
18th March 2013
Old 18th March 2013
Gear interested

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Vulture View Post
French?
Well parents from Poland and Sweden, born in Germany and now living in Denmark ; ))) modern kind of European :D
18th March 2013
Old 18th March 2013
Lives for gear

Quote:
Well parents from Poland and Sweden, born in Germany and now living in Denmark ; ))) modern kind of European :D
Awesome
Topic:
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search