Ebay mistakes?
New Reply
Subscribe
Tommy k
27th February 2013
Old 27th February 2013
Gear interested

Ebay mistakes?

This is generally just a laugh at my Fooooolishness for my own good here but i thought it would be funny to have some storys of stupid obvious ebay mistakes... everyone has one... i think.

I have been researching about the release of Korg's new remake of the Korg MS-20 Mini and have been looking through the forum and generally really was so excited so i looked around and waited for the release date, nearly bought one at DV247 in Bristol and then i came across What I Thought was an MS20 Mini on ebay....

1. It had only just been released
2. It clearly stated MS 20 Legacy USB Controller...

So yea to cut a long story short i bought it for £200, it came and then , oo.. damn..

Well yea thats my story and i just wanted to laugh and my sillyness.. the controller didnt even come with software..... atleast it came with patch cables... hmmm, im gonna have a play for a bit and dull my pain...

anyone else got stupid, obvious ebay mistakes?
27th February 2013
Old 27th February 2013
Lives for gear

Just had three rolls of 456 tape arrive today that I thought were on 10.5inch reels but turned out to be 7". A few weeks ago I bought six packs of strings all the wrong gauge.
28th February 2013
Old 28th February 2013
Lives for gear

Aaah Tommy k I feel your pain!
That took some guts to admit your boo-boo!
You sound impatient like me. Though what makes it worse is that it didn't come with the software. You really should grab that, the vst is pretty good, and it would be quite cool to use it with the controller.

As for my silliness, last year I bought an expensive spdif cable so I could connect my Eventide rack directly into my audio interface. When I went to hook up the cable, I realized that my interface doesn't have spdif in !!
28th February 2013
Old 28th February 2013
Gear addict

Almost made a mistake when I came close to hitting "Buy" for what I thought was a good deal on an AKG C414XLS. Noticed what the shipping cost was just in time.
Attached Thumbnails
Ebay mistakes?-ebay.jpg  
28th February 2013
Old 28th February 2013
Gear maniac

On my first eBay purchase, I almost went down the Western Union scam road, but figured out what was going on after the second email from the guy... didn't smell right so I whipped out the Google-fu.

I haven't made any mistakes, but I've had a couple of, "ehhh.... I probably should have waited on that bid" moments. Those are always the ones where you're hoping that someone else will outbid you but they never do.
28th February 2013
Old 28th February 2013
Gear nut

lol, I bought some gear off that same guy, I remember looking at his other items for sale and saw that ms20m. jdengate99 right
28th February 2013
Old 28th February 2013
Gear addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by MarkF48 View Post
Almost made a mistake when I came close to hitting "Buy" for what I thought was a good deal on an AKG C414XLS. Noticed what the shipping cost was just in time.
Report that seller to eBay. Their TOS specifically addresses sellers overcharging for shipping. He's also avoiding eBay fees by pricing low and making up the difference in shipping. I can't stand jerks like that.
"(Mark) Hamill referred to the Joker's laugh as a musical instrument and would practice laughing maniacally while driving to recording sessions, commenting that no one found this behavior strange in Los Angeles."

@BabyGoatTacos
facebook.com/highfiveworldwide
facebook.com/missilejetski
28th February 2013
Old 28th February 2013
Gear nut

Quote:
He's also avoiding eBay fees by pricing low and making up the difference in shipping. I can't stand jerks like that.
Ebay finds its' way around everything - They ding you 10% of what you charge for shipping fees - they're as good as the gov't at getting their due

Last edited by ac55; 28th February 2013 at 02:48 AM.. Reason: forgot to add quote
28th February 2013
Old 28th February 2013
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by jmik View Post
Report that seller to eBay. Their TOS specifically addresses sellers overcharging for shipping. He's also avoiding eBay fees by pricing low and making up the difference in shipping. I can't stand jerks like that.
doesn't matter ebay has been charging sellers ebay fees on shipping fees for quit a while now.

==========

SURPLUS GEAR SALE
28th February 2013
Old 28th February 2013
Gear addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by T_R_S View Post
doesn't matter ebay has been charging sellers ebay fees on shipping fees for quit a while now.
Yeah I just read their fees policies, when the hell did they update that?

Anyway, it's still against their selling policy to list unreasonably high shipping costs for no reason.
Tommy k
28th February 2013
Old 28th February 2013
Gear interested

Quote:
Originally Posted by Releaux View Post

I haven't made any mistakes, but I've had a couple of, "ehhh.... I probably should have waited on that bid" moments. Those are always the ones where you're hoping that someone else will outbid you but they never do.

I was hoping I would get out bid, it didn't happen though ...
28th February 2013
Old 28th February 2013
Lives for gear

I can't remember dead set details, but I have had a few near misses when I have pretty much begged The Lord to be outbid on something I should never have bid on.

Several TL Audio products come to mind. I don't know why, but no matter how much grief that brand gets on here, I have always been "cat curious" to try one of their units, just once!! HAVE NO IDEA WHY!!! Luckily, I have come to my senses just in time and been outbid in the last 30seconds.......phew.
28th February 2013
Old 28th February 2013
Lives for gear

My Recordings/Credits

I accidentally bought an LA-610 instead of a 2-610 a few years ago. This actually turned out to be a happy accident because the LA-610 is super useful.
28th February 2013
Old 28th February 2013
Gear nut

I once sold a Sennheiser MD421 on eBay. Packed it up, shipped it off. Only to notice a few days later I still had the same number of 421's I had originally and was missing a 441.

Last edited by Sam Walker; 28th February 2013 at 11:23 AM.. Reason: spelling
28th February 2013
Old 28th February 2013
Gear nut

Haha great thread.
For me eBay + late nights on my laptop = DANGER.
Almost bought a Custom Gibson SG the other night on a whim. Woke up the next morning so grateful I'd slept thru the auction. I really dont need another guitar!

Anyone ever scored any exceptional bargains? I'm yet to..
28th February 2013
Old 28th February 2013
Lives for gear

My Recordings/Credits

Yep...I bought on a whim, what I thought was a Martin N-20 nylon string guitar. When it arrived it was obviously a badly made fake, and my blood ran cold. It was a nerve wracking couple of days where I returned it and prayed for a refund. Luckily I got the refund (minus shipping). Taught me a real lesson. You can't always trust what you see on ebay! And don't buy on a whim!
28th February 2013
Old 28th February 2013
Lives for gear

Actually, I do remember one horrible ebay incident. I took a risk and bought a second hand Magma style/equivalent/clone unit off ebay for around £300 to accommodate my 4 UAD-1 cards and my TC Powercore card and just couldn't get it to work with my PC Bridge. It recognised it, but just kept on erroring. The seller accepted returns if it didn't work, but I actually left it too long to return it and because it was some random brand, the support/information online was pants, so I decided the risk to avoid Magma's huge price point had failed, I gave up and decided to sell it, hopefully to someone who knew how to get it working better than me.

I set the starting price at 1p, set it for three days and totally left it/forgot about it. The auction ended and I checked my emails to find that some dude had bid 1p and he was the only one!!!! He had won it for a penny.

He even came to collect it and offered to give me the penny!!!!! He kept a proper straight face, but hell, he must have been laughing his socks off. Gutted.

Never ever again......Now I test things quickly and don't take silly risks without researching first. LIVE AND LEARN....
28th February 2013
Old 28th February 2013
Gear addict

Missed out on a bargain for a pair of equator monitors. By £20. I got a pair of dynaudio bm5's the next week and I've been pretty happy with them. But there is always a little thought in my mind that says...how nice would those equators been???

Sent from my LT30p
28th February 2013
Old 28th February 2013
Gear maniac

Many Stories

Yeah, I have many embarrasing stories through my many years on ebay. Back in the early 2000's there wasn't a good way to research on items as there is today. Many purchases were a trial and error. My wife hates when I just open the ebay screen and rolls her eyes. lol.

But one episode I recall did turn our rather sour. I decided I wanted to purchase a small form reel-to-reel. Most of the smaller form reels, within reason were the Akai or Sony. I don't recall all the details, but basically as I was going through my searches, I placed bids on multiple reel auctions believing that it is such a low bid and I would get out bid easily. This was at a time in the early 2000's when digital was grand and analog was selling cheap.

Well, I recall getting up one morning only to find that I won on 4 of the reel auctions I thought I would get outbid on... lol. Each one was below $100, but some of the shipping charges added up quickly. Making a long story short, I managed to re-sell two of those units quickly. They were Sony 600 series I believe. But I kept (and still have) two nice little Akai (direct drive, not belt) reels that both operate good with little maintenance and cleanup. I personally prefer vinyl albums when listening to music, but reels were absolutely a great thing in our music history.
28th February 2013
Old 28th February 2013
Lives for gear

I bought what I thought was a full sized keyboard for my music classroom. When it arrived it was a mini-keyboard. I swear the guy made it look big in the picture. (same thing happened to me with a set of djembe drums)

Turns out it has the coolest old school keyboard game sounds.
28th February 2013
Old 28th February 2013
Lives for gear

eBay has gotten even more "dangerous" for me having it on my phone and iPad. It's like a gambling addiction.
28th February 2013
Old 28th February 2013
Gear addict

I once bought a "used - like new" SM57 on ebay. It showed up with it's box and everything (should have been my hint). I didn't have time to test it or anything due to schoool and work at the time (full time job, part time school eats up every spare second!). Well, when I got to testing it, it didn't work... turns out the capsule had never been connected. Also turns out it wasn't used like new, it was new chinese clone...

It did sound ok though and make a good backup mic, well, for the time it worked. It's a good hammer now.
28th February 2013
Old 28th February 2013
Lives for gear

Never bought it, but I remember a while back for some piece of gear, the price was around half what I expected... and there was an exhaustively long description.

Buried somewhere in the description was a disclaimer that the auction was for a PICTURE of the gear... not the gear itself.

Also, pissed me off to no end that even after complaining to eBay, I had to pay shipping to return a fake Movado being sold as the real thing.

https://soundcloud.com/AintNobodyMusic/aint-nobody-sample

https://soundcloud.com/aintnobodymusic/get-down-sample

https://soundcloud.com/aintnobodymusic/angsmn-sample

https://soundcloud.com/aintnobodymusic/do-what-you-love-sample

AINT NOBODY album is DONE!!! Videos now in production.

Want music and videos BEFORE their official release dates?

PM me for your private password invitation and BE FIRST!
28th February 2013
Old 28th February 2013
Gear addict

No mistakes yet, but had a few unpleasent incidents with buyers canceling their bids 2 minutes before the end of my auctions resulting in lower than expected selling prices :(

On the other hand I won items at very low prices that I discovered 5 minutes before auction endings. Brand new SSL Alphalink SX for 1150 € and a RME ADI 8 DD for 270 € among others.

I still have this feeling of regret every single time I place a bid and often hopes not to win the auction. But in the end I'm happy most of the times

It's like gambling
28th February 2013
Old 28th February 2013
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by steveswisher View Post
eBay has gotten even more "dangerous" for me having it on my phone and iPad. It's like a gambling addiction.
YES! You know, no one has ever really said that, but it is so true. I uninstalled it from my phone a few weeks ago, because I was literally spending about two hours a day looking at possible bargains, even though I have a ton of gear in my studio. It gets very addictive very quickly and it is like gambling. I literally only stopped when every space in the rack was full.

It can get very serious and is odd, as I do not enjoy gambling, but loved and possibly got addicted to the thrill of winning high end gear for lower prices
28th February 2013
Old 28th February 2013
Lives for gear

Can I sneak in a fail from the time before Evilbay? Mid 90s, I saw a 5-string bass in a warehouse in Bratislava, where they had a booth for musical instruments as well. It went for roughly 100 bucks - I just should have grabbed it and went to the cashier.. but I was 'clever', asked, they noticed it had been labled wrong and should have been priced with a zero more.. but then again, it's not too bad as I got a good 5string later and somebody in the shop would later have to swallow my bargain as loss and (likely) a lecture (or maybe worse) from the boss. I'm not in the typical corporate/criminal mindset and not that desperate to enrich myself on the loss of others. Or put otherwise, I'm stubborn enough to rely on my ability to generate worth without causing others loss.
GS fun: people who can't drive ask other people who can't drive if they should buy a 12 ton truck or a BMW. Then ask somebody from Berlin (with a map of Moscow) for the way to the train station in Hongkong. Somebody stresses the importance of grabbing the steering wheel with one hand only, as Bruce Swedien was reported to have done that 1986, while reversing into his driveway.
If want to check some tasteful piece of art I was involved, here: https://soundcloud.com/frans_13/organtransplant
28th February 2013
Old 28th February 2013
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by dxavier View Post
YES! You know, no one has ever really said that, but it is so true. I uninstalled it from my phone a few weeks ago, because I was literally spending about two hours a day looking at possible bargains, even though I have a ton of gear in my studio. It gets very addictive very quickly and it is like gambling. I literally only stopped when every space in the rack was full.

It can get very serious and is odd, as I do not enjoy gambling, but loved and possibly got addicted to the thrill of winning high end gear for lower prices
Gambling has never been one of my vices either. I've never gotten a thrill from slots or blackjack but eBay has me hooked. I spend hours browsing pro audio gear hunting for good deals on stuff I don't need.
The internal conversation is:

"Hey! That's a bargain. I don't need it but I could probably resell and make a profit."

The reselling part rarely happens and when it does I'm lucky to break even. eBay may be a gearslutz worst nightmare.
28th February 2013
Old 28th February 2013
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by steveswisher View Post
Gambling has never been one of my vices either. I've never gotten a thrill from slots or blackjack but eBay has me hooked. I spend hours browsing pro audio gear hunting for good deals on stuff I don't need.
The internal conversation is:

"Hey! That's a bargain. I don't need it but I could probably resell and make a profit."

The reselling part rarely happens and when it does I'm lucky to break even. eBay may be a gearslutz worst nightmare.
Again, I had never heard any one encompass it as gambling until you said it, but you are right and I did feel uncomfortable being on there so much. It really is a gearslutz's worst nightmare, as it is a dealer to the habit. GS Classifieds can be addictive too, as some prices are great.
28th February 2013
Old 28th February 2013
Lives for gear

when i first discovered ebay,i bought a DBX 376 for full retail.$700
I found out it was a mistake when i tried to sell it later.
28th February 2013
Old 28th February 2013
Lives for gear

Ebay has now fallen victim to the dreaded GREED Disease. Or as I like to call it. Monetaryneucleosis. If you are a new or fairly new, pretty much anyone but power sellers, Ebay is holding all your money until product has arrived at the buyers house and he has reported it as such. Then and only then will Ebay release your funds and that could take 3 days or more. They claim they are protecting the buyer. Translated; we are holding on to as much money as we can to earn the interest off of it. Floating on others money for personal gain while you claim to be providing a benefit...how stupid do you think people are, Ebay? Wait don't answer that.

Topic:
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search