Api 2500 vs overstayer stereo vca
New Reply
Subscribe
Cookie
27th February 2013
Old 27th February 2013
Lives for gear

Api 2500 vs overstayer stereo vca

Anyone have any insight to this? I haven't used either -- other than the plugin version of the 2500. I'm wanting something to add some sexiness to my mix buss.
19th March 2013
Old 19th March 2013
Gear maniac

I'm debating these two also, would love to hear some opinions.
19th March 2013
Old 19th March 2013
Gear addict

I can't speak about the overstayer with any authority, but the API is really nice. You could do a whole lot worse than that unit.

Full line of custom, tube, boutique, point to point, studio mic preamps, optical compressors, and guitar amps.
www.hendyamps.com
19th March 2013
Old 19th March 2013
Lives for gear

I didn't like the API 2500, could not find 1 thing that I used it on a said oh yeah...tried it on dang near everything.

I sold it and have not once ever wished it was still here.

They get a lot of praise here on GS, whatever...I didn't hear it.
19th March 2013
Old 19th March 2013
Lives for gear

My Recordings/Credits

I have the 2500 and like it a lot. Would like to hear from users of the overstayer. Is this an SSL type compressor?
19th March 2013
Old 19th March 2013
Gear maniac

I own the 2500 and the VCA. I bought the 2500 first years ago. When i first got the 2500, i used it on the mix buss. It has a lot of options for tailoring the compression, but the sound, while great, definitely isn't for everything. Realizing i wasn't completely happy with it, i got a Smart C1 for the mix buss, and i moved the 2500 on to my drum buss.

C1 was nice, but recalls were a bitch, and i didn't always love it's color.

Finally got the Overstayer VCA, and am very very happy with it on the mix buss. It has a more neutral tone than the smart, which for me is better on the mix buss. Also way more options for shaping the compression, and way easier to recall.

Yes, the overstayer is an SSL style. But with a blend knob, an optional high pass in the side chain, more attack and release options, and a very simple but sweet high and low shelf eq. Oh, and a "Behavior" knob that just does the craziest extreme compression.

As soon as i got the VCA, i put it on my mix buss, and it hasn't left.

The API 2500 still lives on my drum buss. I love it there. I'm sure the VCA would be great on the drum buss, and i've entertained the thought of selling the API and putting another VCA on the drum buss and pocketing some dough. But everything just works great now and i don't want to mess with what i have going. I'm lazy.

I'm talking about these completely in the context of mixing. When tracking, i love using the 2500 for gentle compression on just about any overdub. But i mix way more than i track. The Overstayer FET compresser is great for the same thing. In mixing, my fet lives on the lead vocal.

danny
19th March 2013
Old 19th March 2013
Lives for gear

I have the Overstayer VCA with all the mods, API 2500 is the next comp on my list. I have had the Overstayer parked on my 2 bus for only a week but I am liking it. Normally I have the Charter Oak SCL-1 on the 2 bus. I am especially liking what the VCA is doing to keys and the low mids of the drums. It almost makes me want a 2nd one as it is just such a great value.
Cookie
20th March 2013
Old 20th March 2013
Lives for gear

As I posted in another thread, I should be getting my Overstayer stereo vca to demo early next week. I will write a review on it and make sure everyone gets some info.
20th March 2013
Old 20th March 2013
Gear maniac

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cookie View Post
As I posted in another thread, I should be getting my Overstayer stereo vca to demo early next week. I will write a review on it and make sure everyone gets some info.
Awesome! Looking forward to the review!

Thanks for the input everyone!
7th April 2013
Old 7th April 2013
Lives for gear

The Overstayer VCA is pretty interesting I must say! Any other users?
7th April 2013
Old 7th April 2013
Lives for gear

I have the Overstayer VCA. Love it. Parked it on my drum buss. The behavior and blend options are perfect for drums and percussion. It's a solid mix buss comp though. The fully variable attack and release really allow you to dial in some snap and bounce. I moved it to drums when my Dual Vandergraph arrived.
7th April 2013
Old 7th April 2013
Lives for gear

Yeah... I dig it on my 2buss. It's clean and does the job of gluing nicely.
It does sound good pushing a drum buss hard as well.. Been wanting to try the FET. Haven't heard one of those yet.
8th April 2013
Old 8th April 2013
Lives for gear

The OS Fet rawks on the drum bus and as already mentioned the VCA is a great neutral tone 2 bus comp. I really need to take the time to try out the VCA for tracking.
Cookie
19th April 2013
Old 19th April 2013
Lives for gear

I'm not done with my full review yet, but I love the stereo VCA.

It has soooo many options to really vary what you do.

My first impression was that this thing adds balls. Just a smidge of compression and bumping up the low end and high end on the eq just made everything way more exciting and ballsy. Didn't take much at all.

It sounds pretty awesome on a drum buss too. I didn't use it for that in the mix -- I have distressors for that -- but it does a pretty cool job.

More to come -- so far so good. Love this box! Def.worth the price.
New Reply Submit Thread to Facebook Facebook  Submit Thread to Twitter Twitter  Submit Thread to LinkedIn LinkedIn  Submit Thread to Google+ Google+ 

Topic:
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search