Login / Register

Power Regulators / Conditioners in 2013.
New Reply
Subscribe
mike11
27th February 2013
Old 27th February 2013
Gear nut

Power Regulators / Conditioners in 2013.

I'm looking for a top quality power conditioner / voltage regulator for my set up. I'm running under 4000 watts (at the very most) at the moment so it's not a huge draw of power - just 2.1 active speakers, a keyboard, a PC, a mac, a couple of external reverb units, converters, ie, not much really, however I want to really take care of it all as it's good quality gear. Also I say 4k watts because I will be adding more gear in time and it's going to have to handle that without any problem. The voltage in the country where I am is pretty bad, we're on 220/230V but it fluctuates from between 180 to 250, lots of blackouts, spikes, etc. So, ideally I'd like to get something that conditions / cleans the power, properly regulates the voltage, and if possible is also a UPS of some kind, even anywhere from 5 - 20 minutes to let me save and shut down. Budget is flexible but not unlimited, it really depends on the product but I'd rather not pay over $1k. Whenever possible I like to buy the best - not necessarily most expensive but simple well designed stuff that will really last - like my MIO 2882 that is still going strong after nearly 11 years, for example, rather than something that lasts for 1 - 2 years then dies. I know of Furman and a couple of others, but I'd like a second opinion. This is mainly for studio use right now, but could get taken on the road in due course. I searched the forum before posting but seems like most of the posts are from a few years ago.
27th February 2013
Old 27th February 2013
Gear addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by mike11 View Post
I'm looking for a top quality power conditioner / voltage regulator for my set up. I'm running under 4000 watts (at the very most) at the moment so it's not a huge draw of power - just 2.1 active speakers, a keyboard, a PC, a mac, a couple of external reverb units, converters, ie, not much really, however I want to really take care of it all as it's good quality gear. Also I say 4k watts because I will be adding more gear in time and it's going to have to handle that without any problem. The voltage in the country where I am is pretty bad, we're on 220/230V but it fluctuates from between 180 to 250, lots of blackouts, spikes, etc. So, ideally I'd like to get something that conditions / cleans the power, properly regulates the voltage, and if possible is also a UPS of some kind, even anywhere from 5 - 20 minutes to let me save and shut down. Budget is flexible but not unlimited, it really depends on the product but I'd rather not pay over $1k. Whenever possible I like to buy the best - not necessarily most expensive but simple well designed stuff that will really last - like my MIO 2882 that is still going strong after nearly 11 years, for example, rather than something that lasts for 1 - 2 years then dies. I know of Furman and a couple of others, but I'd like a second opinion. This is mainly for studio use right now, but could get taken on the road in due course. I searched the forum before posting but seems like most of the posts are from a few years ago.
can't beat Backroom Rentals (they dont just rent...) in London, England. Laurence is the man and will not spin you any line, he can be controversial and he doesn't always say what you want to hear but he's one of the most knowledgeable people in power for music so you should at least call him up and see what he says.

Everything he makes is bespoke so describe what you want and he'll make it.

Look at his site for more but example clients are Eric Clapton, Mark Knopfler, Roger Waters, Prodigy etc. He knows his stuff.
mike11
28th February 2013
Old 28th February 2013
Gear nut

Cheers I'll look him up.
New Reply Submit Thread to Facebook Facebook  Submit Thread to Twitter Twitter  Submit Thread to LinkedIn LinkedIn  Submit Thread to Google+ Google+ 

Topic:
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search