Switchcraft or Neutrik (or something else)?
chezero
14th August 2006
Old 14th August 2006
Gear Head

Switchcraft or Neutrik (or something else)?

What are you all using for connectors such as TRS and XLR? Why?
14th August 2006
Old 14th August 2006
Lives for gear

Neutrik all the way, for cable AND panel mount connectors of all types. Switchcraft connectors just aren't up to the same level of play, and Neutrik has many variations while maintaining excellent integrity.
14th August 2006
Old 14th August 2006
Gear maniac

Make sure that you aren't buying the NEW Chinese Neutriks'. There is a HUGH difference in price between the two. My Sweetwater rep clued me in. The inexpensive 1/4" Neutrik phone plugs are all comming from China, I don't know about the rest of their line, but it wouldn't hurt to check before you buy. As for the level of play???? I have cables, snakes & connectors that are over 20 years old & have never had a Switchcraft connector fail for any reason. On the other hand I have seen many Neutrik XLR connectors that were ruined by being mashed & bent out of round, rendering them useless.....I have never seen this happen to a Switchcraft. Do what thou wilt!
14th August 2006
Old 14th August 2006
Gear Head

tried some cheaper connectors in the past and now use only neutrik.
they are very reliable and cause no troubles.
14th August 2006
Old 14th August 2006
Lives for gear

Not even an equal comparrison. Neutrik all the way. Simply put, it's just better quality
14th August 2006
Old 14th August 2006
Lives for gear

Still like Switchcraft for XLRs, especially if I'm making a bunch of 'em, since they're a bit faster to work with. I have mic cables I made years ago with Switchcraft connectors, and they still work fine.

Also, I like Switchcraft's 1/4" stuff way better.
14th August 2006
Old 14th August 2006
500 series nutjob

i use both.
mostly based on what i happen to get when i need them.
i favor the switchcraft on both 1/4'' and xlr.
canare cable.
15th August 2006
Old 15th August 2006
Lives for gear

Neutrik with Mogami cable all the way
15th August 2006
Old 15th August 2006
Lives for gear

Neutrik with mogami here also. Recently (6 months ago) rewired with all Neutrik/Mogami and I'm thrilled with the difference in sound and quality. Plus those Neutrik connectors are way huge, which is cool!
15th August 2006
Old 15th August 2006
Lives for gear

Sometimes the Neutrik 1/4" TRS connectors are too wide to fit in multichannel sockets (the female sockets are often very close together in multichannel setups, like a MOTU or Echo unit) but I feel they are worth the pain.

I, too love the combination of Neutrik & Mogami, especially for Mogami digital AES interconnects. SOLID!
15th August 2006
Old 15th August 2006
Gear maniac

Neutirk here and just rewired with Canari star quad. Anybody use star quad? Also How much difference is there in gold connectors vrs. other.
15th August 2006
Old 15th August 2006
Gear maniac

neutrik has a way better cable chuck design. switchcraft is old technology that is out of date.
15th August 2006
Old 15th August 2006
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by bluesman714 View Post
The inexpensive 1/4" Neutrik phone plugs are all comming from China, I don't know about the rest of their line, but it wouldn't hurt to check before you buy.
I can't speak for the connectors mentioned above, but I did want to add that all the Neutrik connectors I have used and currently order all are stamped with: Swiss made or Made in Lichtenstein. You'll have to verify that any 1/4" are actually coming from China as noted above
15th August 2006
Old 15th August 2006
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by bradb View Post
neutrik has a way better cable chuck design. switchcraft is old technology that is out of date.
Oh well... Old, out of date technology seems to be in favor around here. Anyone for a fifty-year-old vocal chain?

15th August 2006
Old 15th August 2006
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by bradb View Post
Maybe you haven't seen these:

Switchcraft AAA series. I'm replacing my Neutriks with them, they are all metal shells and similar chuck. And look way better to me. And they are cheaper than Neutrik.

Switchcraft TS/TRS connectors still have lousy strain relief compared to Neutrik though. Re the "wide" Neutrik 1/4" -- their new NP2X/NP3X series is smaller diameter, don't know about the quality, I haven't used them:

Steve
15th August 2006
Old 15th August 2006
Lives for gear

I HIGHLY recommed the Neutrik "solder-less" connectors for xlr. I use them nearly every day at work, and I make my own cables now. Belden 1800b with the solderless cables.. it has also made an audible difference in the studio, but that is likely because of the belden.

And, anyone can put them together with no soldering experience... I have never had one fail. They "snap" together permanently and the connections are great.
15th August 2006
Old 15th August 2006
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by Earwitness View Post
Neutirk here and just rewired with Canari star quad. Anybody use star quad? Also How much difference is there in gold connectors vrs. other.

I'm not a fan of gold connectors.. I don't think there is much difference. You also have to consider the fact that although gold is an excellent conductor, Gold oxidizes and tarnishes very easily... so in my opinion it's not a good investment... either for "investing," or for audio connections!
15th August 2006
Old 15th August 2006
Gear maniac

Quote:
Originally Posted by XSergeantD View Post
I can't speak for the connectors mentioned above, but I did want to add that all the Neutrik connectors I have used and currently order all are stamped with: Swiss made or Made in Lichtenstein. You'll have to verify that any 1/4" are actually coming from China as noted above
Full Compass says that the Neutrik branded 1/4" phone plug model #NYS228 that they sell for $1.37 ea is indeed mfd in China. They might be every bit as good as the Lichtenstein product, but other Chinese cable ends that I have used vary in size and quality. Switchcraft product, as far as I know, is made in Mexico.
15th August 2006
Old 15th August 2006
Lives for gear

We use a gazillion Neutriks around here. They work great.

And an 'old school' alternative - ITT Cannon XLR11 and XLR12. Made in Japan, a little pricey, and completely indestructable.

DP
15th August 2006
Old 15th August 2006
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by bluesman714 View Post
Full Compass says that the Neutrik branded 1/4" phone plug model #NYS228 that they sell for $1.37 ea is indeed mfd in China. They might be every bit as good as the Lichtenstein product, but other Chinese cable ends that I have used vary in size and quality. Switchcraft product, as far as I know, is made in Mexico.
Ahh, those ones. ick, yuck, pffft. Thats what I meant by verifying which 1/4" were said to be marked as China. I don't use those, not for the reason of where they're made. Crappy strain relief.
The larger size 1/4" (not a fan of the size, but design makes up for it) have the strain relief that increases it's tension as the cable gets pulled on which is the common design on the Neu. XLRs.
I thought the Switchcraft were made in US. Well, I look more at the design of the unit than where it is manufactured

As for gold connections, gold itself does not corrode, or oxidize, but its primary alloy materials, silver and copper, will do so. I haven't seen a bad gold connection in many years, but the early versions had some bad alloy mixes. Overall nickel connections are
15th August 2006
Old 15th August 2006
Gear nut

I have had MANY of the solderless neutrik cables fail on me, and I would strongly suggest that you avoid them at all costs unless you are unable to solder. I do really like their regular ones, but the solderless are tutt
15th August 2006
Old 15th August 2006
Lives for gear

Neutrik solder type with Mogami cable exclusively.
5th March 2011
Old 5th March 2011
Gear interested

Canare StarQuad with Neutrik XX

Quote:
Originally Posted by Earwitness View Post
I use Canare Star Quad with Neutrik XX series XLR, wouldn't use anything else. I don't think that the difference in the gold connectors is even worth the extra $0.50, being almost no difference.
5th March 2011
Old 5th March 2011
Gear maniac

Neutrik all the way. Very solid connectors, and the strain relief on them is way better than anything else, ESPECIALLY on the ts/trs jacks.
5th March 2011
Old 5th March 2011
Lives for gear

They both sound the same to me. I'll use whatever is cheapest or most convenient. To me, the connector's not as important as the cable.
6th March 2011
Old 6th March 2011
Lives for gear

Neutrik would be my first choice, but Amphenol would be a close second... thumbsup
6th March 2011
Old 6th March 2011
Lives for gear

I use almost only sommer cable with neutrik xx connectors. Starquad for single cables and aes compatible cables for Multi cables. I like the black xx series very much.
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search