Studio Projects CS5
New Reply
Subscribe
MarkF48
14th February 2013
Old 14th February 2013
Gear addict

Studio Projects CS5

Of posts I've seen on the SP CS5 the people that do have one seem to speak highly of it for its sound and versatility, but in general it doesn't seem to be a very popular one that many recommend. Is it a sleeper or people just shy away since it doesn't garner the brand recognition like bigger names.

I'm looking at a more budget friendly alternative to the C414 or AT4050 for a multi-pattern mic and of comments I've read the CS5 seems to come close for less money.
bee
15th July 2013
Old 15th July 2013
bee
Lives for gear

Bump! I'm looking for opinions on this mic as well. Anyone know if it has the low end extension of cad m179?
MarkF48
15th July 2013
Old 15th July 2013
Gear addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by bee View Post
Bump! I'm looking for opinions on this mic as well. Anyone know if it has the low end extension of cad m179?
I ended up buying a CAD M179 which seemed to get good reps on this forum. I just couldn't find enough users of the CS5 to convince myself it would have been a worthwhile purchase. So far the M179 has worked out OK for me.
15th July 2013
Old 15th July 2013
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by bee View Post
...as I no longer own the m179 (sold it years ago), but a current owner of a CS5, I cannot speak directly to comparison of low-end extension response, but I think it's worth mentioning that the CS5 is IMHO, all-around superior to the current crop of m179 mics...not that there's any inherent problem with the CAD, especially considering it's low cost and functionality...it's just that the CS5 is clearly a higher-quality piece of gear, with even more options in terms of polar-pattern, low-pass, high-pass and pad options...and the CS5 is clearly the better vocal mic, one application where I believe the m179 falls a bit short...

...at the current street price of the CS5 ($299), this mic is an exceptional value...clear, flat, neutral, smooth, un-hyped and seriously well-built...keep in mind, that when this mic was designed by audio engineer Brent Casey, it had a street price of $799, and still got very positive reviews in the pro-audio press...

...my favorite use for the CS5 is anywhere that I may be stacking tracks (especially background vocals)...absolutely no hashy buildup, phaziness, or noise, regardless how many tracks I stack...clean, clear accurate reproduction...and the wide array of available adjustments allow this mic to be fine-tuned to just about any practical tracking application you can imagine...yes, the CAD m179 is a great value in a utility type microphone...for the extra dollars, the CS5 takes it up a whole other level and throws in vocal duties on an entire range of voices...this mic stays on the stand in my studio...a keeper!

http://recordinghacks.com/microphone...o-Projects/CS5

Topic:
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search