Login / Register

Upgrade interface converters or get new preamp?
New Reply
Subscribe
exspence
6th February 2013
Old 6th February 2013
Gear interested

Upgrade interface converters or get new preamp?

Hey, I'm brand new to GS.

I want to upgrade my Fireface 800, but i'm not sure if it's wiser to go with something like a Prism Lyra 2, Metric Halo etc...Or buy a new preamp instead (BAE or something similar) ? I'm currently using a U87, and I used to run it through my friends Chandler Pre and 1176 Limiter into the analog ins of the FF. Now that i'm starting a home studio, it depresses me to have to go straight into the FF800 Pre's. So lastly, I want to invest in a compressor mainly for tracking vocals. I don't record any full drums etc, so I only need 1-2 mic pres. I'm budgeting this all around $5k.

Current setup :

Neumann u87
RME FF 800
KRK VXT 8's
Yamaha NS-10's ( Secondary )
Omnisphere
Sylenth
Access Virus
Mac Osx
Logic Pro
Tons of plugins
6th February 2013
Old 6th February 2013
Lives for gear

I am not sure about how a FF sounds, but a really nice signal path through a pre for the U87 would make you smile. Aurora Audio GTQ 2 MKIII or a Buzz Audio ARC1.1...there are others as well.

www.aisle6.com.au
6th February 2013
Old 6th February 2013
Lives for gear

I'd go with a Lyra1 or if on the budget try to get an Sound Device usbpre2 or an RME UCX..
The lyra is a step above, but I'd get a better analog front end like a BAE 1023 pre with eq to go with your U87 (or even a 1073mpf if you want to save $$) and get a Crane Song Trakker or a BAE 10DC and/or an 1176 later (depending your needs)..

BAE 1073mpf (1.5k) + BAE 10DC (1.4k) + Prism Lyra1 (2.3k) : 5.2K
BAE 1023 (3.4k) + BAE 10DC (1.4k) + RME UCX/SD usbpre (about 1k) : 5.8k
(you could also get a "regular 1073" and save some more, but you'll benefit from more eq points on the 1023.. eventually the BAE 1073D for the 500 series is on special offer, worth it if you already have lunchbox).

Add about 600$ to 1k more if you want the Trakker over the 10DC..

Cheu

www.masterdaelion.com
A new, breaktrough way of reading your music scores.

"If you want to be given everything, give everything up"

www.qtrio.ch

www.studio21.ch

Quote:
We're only as good as the musicians we keep; the same goes for the musicians. - Remoteness
6th February 2013
Old 6th February 2013
Lives for gear

Send a message via ICQ to Arthur Stone
Plan to purchase both eventually and don't compromise. With a FF800 I'd go for the high-end preamp first and then upgrade the interface later - probably a better cost/benefit ratio this way....converters should drop in price (based on innovation) whereas quality analogue preamps should go up in cost (based on materials/manpower).

+1 on the BAE 1073mpf...nice features for front-end.
exspence
6th February 2013
Old 6th February 2013
Gear interested

Quote:
Originally Posted by cheu78 View Post
I'd go with a Lyra1 or if on the budget try to get an Sound Device usbpre2 or an RME UCX..
The lyra is a step above, but I'd get a better analog front end like a BAE 1023 pre with eq to go with your U87 (or even a 1073mpf if you want to save $$) and get a Crane Song Trakker or a BAE 10DC and/or an 1176 later (depending your needs)..

BAE 1073mpf (1.5k) + BAE 10DC (1.4k) + Prism Lyra1 (2.3k) : 5.2K
BAE 1023 (3.4k) + BAE 10DC (1.4k) + RME UCX/SD usbpre (about 1k) : 5.8k
(you could also get a "regular 1073" and save some more, but you'll benefit from more eq points on the 1023.. eventually the BAE 1073D for the 500 series is on special offer, worth it if you already have lunchbox).

Cheu
+1 that BAE combo sounds amazing. I think i'll start with the 10DC comp and go from there.

Arthur - I totally agree the converters will drop in price before the majority of analog pres. With that in mind, i'll prob hang on to the FF while I upgrade everything else.

Aisle 6 - That Aurora Audio GTQ 2 MKIII looks similar to a pair of 1023's ...but is like half the price.
Have you tried it yourself?
6th February 2013
Old 6th February 2013
Lives for gear

I also own an Aurora Audio GTQ2 and it's a great piece indeed.. But it's different from the 1023. Not forcely better or worse.. just different..

The GTQ2 is not meant to be a clone, but of course it shares that kind of topology, so it definitely falls in the "N" sounding units.. It sounds more "open" up on top..the eq is nice but being very limited in freq's points and being logaritmic IMO could not be compared with a 1023 (or 1073) EQ.. not because of the sound, as I said, because of the usefulness in a mix (or tracking)..

That's also a reason because it's "cheaper", it's easier and less expensive to manufacture.. the EQ on a 1023 is more expensive to manufacture, because of the inductors and the components that needs to have 23 eq points.

IMO the BAE eq is worth the expense..it really sounds fantastic and it's useful also while mixing.. but which one is better for you is hard to tell, you might want to test them out in your place..

I hope this helps,

Cheu
6th February 2013
Old 6th February 2013
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by exspence View Post

Aisle 6 - That Aurora Audio GTQ 2 MKIII looks similar to a pair of 1023's ...but is like half the price.
Have you tried it yourself?
Yes I have tried it. In fact I own one and they are amazing. They are everything that I love about a 1073 but a tad cleaner and a lower noise floor.The EQ can be a little limited at times, but still great. Amazing value for money.
New Reply Submit Thread to Facebook Facebook  Submit Thread to Twitter Twitter  Submit Thread to LinkedIn LinkedIn  Submit Thread to Google+ Google+ 

Topic:
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search