Toft ATB, Midas Venice, Soundcraft Ghost or DDA AMR 24
New Reply
Subscribe
Bcsteene
18th January 2013
Old 18th January 2013
Gear nut

Toft ATB, Midas Venice, Soundcraft Ghost or DDA AMR 24

I'm at a loss of which of these boards to get. The toft and the DDA are local, but the Venice and the ghost I would have to order online. I'm wondering g which has the best preamps and eq. Any suggestions would be helpful as well as sound clips from any of the boards. Thanks!!!!

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I747
18th January 2013
Old 18th January 2013
More cowbell!

Compared the Midas to the Ghost and way preferred the Midas. Nice usable pre and solid EQ. Not as many routing and studio options but better overall quality. This was pre-Behringer of course, so I can't speak to that. Used the Venice 32 for 5 years happily, till I needed to change for outside reasons. Never regretted. Can't speak to the Toft, never heard it. Best.

Sent from my MB855
18th January 2013
Old 18th January 2013
Gear nut

I heard the Midas is still good even though it's now manufactured in China. I am leaning towards it, but still apprehensive. I searched and searched but could not find any mixes on it, or find any tests where I could just hear the eq and the preamps. Driving myself nuts trying to find any samples...
18th January 2013
Old 18th January 2013
Gear addict

Have a look at the yamaha rm800 24/8. Transformer balanced inputs and internal modular design. Sounds amazingly clean, buckets of headroon and decent seperation. A real sleeper. Only low point is the eq is average but servicable. I liked it more than the ghost or any other 8bus from the 90s console war.

Sent from my GT-I9100
19th January 2013
Old 19th January 2013
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bcsteene View Post
I heard the Midas is still good even though it's now manufactured in China. I am leaning towards it, but still apprehensive. I searched and searched but could not find any mixes on it, or find any tests where I could just hear the eq and the preamps. Driving myself nuts trying to find any samples...
I had two Midas Venice F32 bust channels and groups in the space of 1 year. And that was before the massive price cut on these units. Now that they are half the price of what I paid, it might be worth it to play Russian Roulette with them, but I'd still be nervous.

Perfect is the life of King
Father said to me
But he didn't tell me life would end
Bcsteene
19th January 2013
Old 19th January 2013
Gear nut

Andrew: can you do mods to the eq?

Deltones: how did you like the sound? If I buy one I'm gonna be sure to get the warranty with it.

19th January 2013
Old 19th January 2013
Lives for gear

Quote:
Deltones: how did you like the sound? If I buy one I'm gonna be sure to get the warranty with it.
It's not that it doesn't sound good, it does. But I don't trust that model anymore as my first console developped problems after a few months, and the replacement console busted a channel after a little bit less than a year. As for warranty, if you decide to go the Midas route, make sure you have a service center in your area. If not, you'll have to ship the console to Las Vegas. Keep the box.
Bcsteene
19th January 2013
Old 19th January 2013
Gear nut

Deltones: Thanks! Are there any others you would recommend? I hear the DDA AMR 24's are good, and there is one for $4000 in my neighborhood, but it's a beast to move, and I checked it out and it's going to need a good cleaning and probably recapping. It looks like a maintenance nightmare.
19th January 2013
Old 19th January 2013
Lives for gear

19th January 2013
Old 19th January 2013
Lives for gear

Quote:
Deltones: Thanks! Are there any others you would recommend? I hear the DDA AMR 24's are good, and there is one for $4000 in my neighborhood, but it's a beast to move, and I checked it out and it's going to need a good cleaning and probably recapping. It looks like a maintenance nightmare.
I'm not knowledgeable enough about consoles to help you out with this as the Midas is/was my first console. All I can say is that from the experience I've had with the Midas, anything Chinese made over 500 dollars is now out of the question for me, if possible. To add insults to injuries, a year after they were released, the Midas Venice F series prices were cut in half. Early adopters were thoroughly f***ed with that console.

Right now, I'm seriously considering the APB Prodesk-8, which is made in the USA. It's another live console so it may not be ideal for a home studio. But beside the Toft and the A&H GS-R24, I don't think there are a lot of choices in this price range for new recording consoles that are not geared toward live purposes so I have to make some compromises. And since both Toft and A&H are made in China, well...
19th January 2013
Old 19th January 2013
Lives for gear

Quote:
If you have room for the AMR, it's in a completely different weight class than the other 3 choices. It's a serious commitment though, no matter what it costs.
You can try the other three "portable" boards and flip them if they aren't what you're looking for. The DDA is a pre-Mackie 8-bus era B-room board. It needs to be commissioned and cared for, but it was built to be serviced unlike the other three.
Really a choice between commitment levels here.
Oh, and I've really enjoyed working on the AMR if there's plenty of outboard to bring vibe to the party, great clean split board!
19th January 2013
Old 19th January 2013
Lives for gear

i doubt that the Midsa China stuff has a quality problem
the price is lowerd, cause the desk didn´t sell very good and the market changes very fast, so they want to get some sales before it gets a desaster imo
they sell very good now, i think... you have to place a backorder if you want one here
i had a normal venice, a DR and now an Allen Heath ML 4000 + the F32
i´d get the Midas in your situation, it´s a steal
if you´re lucky you could find a AH ML4000 or an Orion...but i think F32 is a good desk and has solid converters on board. You save some mney that you could invest in some outboard and have a great analog setup under 5k (add a 1968, some rnc/rnlas...SPX+D-Two...for example)
best luck!
peace

Just do it
Bcsteene
20th January 2013
Old 20th January 2013
Gear nut

Thanks everyone for your help! I think I'm going to go for the midas, even with the potential issues. If it turns out to be a lemon I can always flip it and go for the DDA AMR 24 or maybe even another board. Plus I can save the money on buying more firewire interfaces (I only have an 8 channel right now), and buy more outboard preamps with color (currently have 2 SCA N72's, 2 SCA a12's, and 1 SCA J99).

Vintagelove: I would love to buy that board, but right now that is out of my price range... hopefully in the future!!!
23rd January 2013
Old 23rd January 2013
Gear addict

Quote:
Andrew: can you do mods to the eq?

Sorry, i dont know if you can mod the eq. I have the schematics (the mixer doesnt look like its modular but each channel has its own board) but im not a techie. I would say its definately possible.

Sent from my GT-I9100
23rd January 2013
Old 23rd January 2013
Lives for gear

My Recordings/Credits

Send a message via AIM to Janesaid2me
Figured id chime in about the toft
I have an atb16
Very nice routing options
Cosmetically nice looking...for those who like fancy looking boards
Eq is excellent...think thats this boards strongest point
Preamps are usable but nothing "special"
Overall its a nice board but i cant compare it to the others...only used a ghost one time in the past but hardly remember much and have never seen a midas in person.
25th January 2013
Old 25th January 2013
Gear maniac

Got a pre-Behringer Venice 320 here. Preamps are stellar, better then any you could buy on an audio interface at this price point. The EQ is ok.. Its really strong, so you really only need to nudge it.. more of a sound shaping tool then correction in a studio setting I'd say. I've used this board for both recording and currently for summing mixes on and I love it. Only pet peeves: no phase reverse switch, the 48v phantom power switch for each channel is on the back near the XLR and is this tiny little button... and of course more groups would be nice. I picked mine up used for $2000. I suggest doing the same.

D
26th January 2013
Old 26th January 2013
Gear maniac

New Reply Submit Thread to Facebook Facebook  Submit Thread to Twitter Twitter  Submit Thread to LinkedIn LinkedIn  Submit Thread to Google+ Google+ 

Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search