Eve sc205 vs adam a5x vs adam a7x
Nathn
4th January 2013
Old 4th January 2013
Gear interested

Eve sc205 vs adam a5x vs adam a7x

Hey guys. Firstly I'm just getting into music production, bare with me.

I've finally been able to get into a decent store that supply's these speakers so I had the chance to listen to them all today, they are all great speakers.

I could write paragraph after paragraph but here is some key points I found during the demo's I got with these monitors.

A7X - Bass seemed decent, clarity of vocals not as good as the A5X or the SC205

A5X - Decent all round speaker

EVE SC205 - Found these to be a little bit better then the A5X's in all area's, especially vocally.

My room that I will be using the gear is 2.7mx3m.

With such a small room am I really in need of the A7X's?

If I was to get either of the EVE SC205's or the ADAM A5X's by turning up the bass on the monitor itself would that effect my mixing because the default specs of the monitor have been changed? How would this effect my final product when listening back onto normal speakers? Should I be expecting to much bass in the final product? Hopefully that makes sense.

Cheers.
Nathn
4th January 2013
Old 4th January 2013
Gear interested

Just contacted another shop and they said for my room size I shouldn't be looking at anything over 6inch..

Help would be much appreciated here.

Cheers.
4th January 2013
Old 4th January 2013
Lives for gear
Choices

Essentially the smaller bass speaker puts out less bass energy and in a small room that should sound clearer. If you don't need the low bass, you should be fine.

You can treat your room with sound absorbtion to absorb energy check out articles at real traps.

Listen again and see if the 7s don't sound more open. Were all the speaker control's set flat.

Eve's are made by an original partner of the adam company

Kcat
Nathn
4th January 2013
Old 4th January 2013
Gear interested

I'm looking at doing dance/electronic music.

Noticed in the EVE and ADAM that the 5 inch were just more crisp sounding.
5th January 2013
Old 5th January 2013
Lives for gear
5 and subs

well maybe start with a set of speakers with a smaller driver like the a5x adn if you are not happy with the bass get a sub.

remember that if you get a sub it takes the lower bass out of the main speakers and that helps them reproduce the mid bass and midrange more clearly.

also, if you bought in stages this would give you a chance to let the new speakers burn in and give you a change to get to know them and then decide if you really need more bass or not

finally the new less expensive adam f series and new sub are available now too

you could get the speakers and the sub for a between about the price of the a5x's.

kcat
11th January 2013
Old 11th January 2013
Lives for gear

what do you mean with clarity of vocals? more midforward?
15th January 2013
Old 15th January 2013
Gear interested

I am not sure I agree with the concept that you "shouldn't" go with a larger speaker in a smaller room. The whole point of monitors is that they are fairly flat in response with no particular frequency accentuated. The aspect of room modes, resonances and other acoustic issues is not related to speaker size. It is ONLY related to reproduced frequencies and speaker positioning. Since the chances are that you would place the speakers the same distance from the wall or room boundaries regardless of size, that point is also mute. So the larger the speaker the deeper its frequency response is likely to be. When evaluating a mix etc, you want to be able to reproduce as much of the recorded frequencies as possible. So you want bass extension. A monitor should provide bass extension without the typical hi-fi speaker response of exaggerating the bass. Of course the more bass response you have the more room interactions you also entail, but once again this is not a factor of room size, but simply "the room". I directly audtioned the Adam A7X against the Eve 207 and prefererred the Eves because they had more presence and a better stereo image. I also compared with the Focal 65s and felt they had the most purity (uncoloured sound), but of course they are even more expensive. I particularly like the fact that all of the controls on the Eve are on the front. I always hated having to move my monitors to make adjustments at the back. I think comparing the Eve 205 against the A7X isn't quite right as the 205 driver size will limit the bass extension compared to the A7X.
21st December 2013
Old 21st December 2013
Gear interested
I am not an expert on studio monitors let me first put it this way. But I was in the market for a pair of 5 inch not too long ago and had a chance to compare the a5x, cms50, sc205 and the Neumann KH120a side by side at a local dealer.

We listened to Wagner's Flying Dutchman, Sondre Lerche and channel Orange on all of the monitors to have a sense of how they perform on the music styles that I work with.

The KH120a was the first pair I listened to and I was very impressed with the high's. It also gives the best sense of depth among all the monitors tested. The Wagner sounded particularly detailed on the Neumann (German heritage???)

The cms were particularly disappointing. Although hi's still formidable, the mid and low were quite blended. it shows in the channel Orange album. Bass lacks the punch it needed for such genre. Vocal wasn't particularly impressive and stereo imagining, although presence, wasn't as wide as I've found on other monitors. I also find the mid and low were quite colored and not suitable for extended period of monitoring.

it came to me as a surprise as cms were my initial first choice. this testing really put it out of the equation.

Then came the a5x and sc205. Their shared a similar vein in frequency response, especially in their mid and his. (later did I find out the history between the two companies) the a5x outperformed the sc in the mid range though by a margin. Bass is also more colored than the sc's.

I ended up choosing the sc205 though for the following reasons:

1) the bass is more natural and has more punch to it.
2) the hi is equally impressive if not better than the a5x
3) the pair is significantly cheaper than the rest of the group
4) it's overall more natural and less colored, giving the best monitoring experience
5) last thing that sealed the deal, stereo imaging and depth is a notch above all of the monitors tested.

I would have gotten the a5x if I was in the market for desktop speakers. But for the work I do, I would not hesitate to recommend sc205 to anyone as they provide a very good value against other contenders.
11th April 2014
Old 11th April 2014
Gear interested

Eve audio vs monkey banana?

Anyone can comment on Eve sc205 vs Monkey banana TURBO 5 /tURBO 6?
Topic:
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search