Trident 65 solo function
Hans Ekman
30th December 2012
Old 30th December 2012
Gear interested

Trident 65 solo function

Hi,
I have a Trident 65 24ch console where the solo function doesn´t solo, a tech has checked the master chanel but couldn´t find anything wrong with it, the solo bulds lights when engagein the solo function but dosen´t mute the other channels.
Anybody experienced this problem?
Thanks
30th December 2012
Old 30th December 2012
Lives for gear

We have that exact problem with the Trident at the studio I work at.

Our power supply has and "On" and a "Standby" similar to a tube guitar amp, if we put the console into "Standby" the solos work and will remain in solo once you fully power up, however, once you disingage the solo or solos in the fully on setting it's gone and you'd have to go back to standby to get back to a solo.

Does yours do this as well?
Hans Ekman
30th December 2012
Old 30th December 2012
Gear interested

Trident 65 solo function

Thanks for reply
No I don´t have a standby function on my psu but maybe theres where problem is, kind of frustraiting since the solo function is important, anyway I´m thinking of replacing the psu to one newer and more powerful but still havn´t found any (in Europe).
Maybe there is someone out there with some answers
30th December 2012
Old 30th December 2012
Gear addict

Check the 5V power supply. If it's broken, or if it sags, then solo is not going to happen. Any solo switch in the consoles does the same thing: turn on an LED, dump the audio to the solo L/R busses, and dump +5VDC from this supply onto the "Solo DC" buss, which is a control line that trips the lone analog switch (IC9, probably a CD4053 or similar) in the Remix master module. If you don't have stable 5V getting to the chip, then individual solo LEDs may still turn on, but the analog switch won't activate. Occasionally I've had to take the frame apart and solder a broken jumper wire which carries the solo DC buss or some other buss from one backplane PCB to another. Bad solder joints and intermittent contacts are not unheard of in these flimsy frames. If not supply or busses, then these switch chips themselves fail often enough to merit replacing. Also, sometimes a short in one of the channels somewhere is pulling up/down the 5V supply or solo DC buss. Check DC levels and then use your ohmmeter to test continuity from one end to the other. You may have to empty the frame and then reinstall one channel at a time to find the culprit.

Re: power supplies, these consoles do sound better and perform more reliably with a power supply upgrade (I recommend Acopian Gold Box A Series), but you also have to upgrade the power supply distribution to achieve the full benefit. This lowers crosstalk and noise as well. I recommend Coral Sound for a full service Trident rebuild and upgrade package.
Hans Ekman
30th December 2012
Old 30th December 2012
Gear interested

Trident 65 solo function

Thanks Jens
Thanks for your advice will do that
Hans
Hans Ekman
10th January 2013
Old 10th January 2013
Gear interested

Trident 65 solo function

Quote:
Originally Posted by EisenAudio View Post
Check the 5V power supply. If it's broken, or if it sags, then solo is not going to happen. Any solo switch in the consoles does the same thing: turn on an LED, dump the audio to the solo L/R busses, and dump +5VDC from this supply onto the "Solo DC" buss, which is a control line that trips the lone analog switch (IC9, probably a CD4053 or similar) in the Remix master module. If you don't have stable 5V getting to the chip, then individual solo LEDs may still turn on, but the analog switch won't activate. Occasionally I've had to take the frame apart and solder a broken jumper wire which carries the solo DC buss or some other buss from one backplane PCB to another. Bad solder joints and intermittent contacts are not unheard of in these flimsy frames. If not supply or busses, then these switch chips themselves fail often enough to merit replacing. Also, sometimes a short in one of the channels somewhere is pulling up/down the 5V supply or solo DC buss. Check DC levels and then use your ohmmeter to test continuity from one end to the other. You may have to empty the frame and then reinstall one channel at a time to find the culprit.

Re: power supplies, these consoles do sound better and perform more reliably with a power supply upgrade (I recommend Acopian Gold Box A Series), but you also have to upgrade the power supply distribution to achieve the full benefit. This lowers crosstalk and noise as well. I recommend Coral Sound for a full service Trident rebuild and upgrade package.
Hi Jens,
I change a cap and TI 071 on the master channel and got the solo function working
Hans
10th January 2013
Old 10th January 2013
Gear addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hans Ekman View Post
Hi Jens,
I change a cap and TI 071 on the master channel and got the solo function working
Hans
Glad to hear it. That sounds like a much less dramatic failure mode than the ones I'd suggested. Curious to know which cap and amp. Was it the solo mix amp IC17 or IC18?
Hans Ekman
15th January 2013
Old 15th January 2013
Gear interested

Hi Jens sorry for läte replay, we change the TI071 amp and the 100UF 35V cap on the monitor out, the amp was hot and the cap was fermentated if you know what I mean
Take care,
Hans
15th January 2013
Old 15th January 2013
Gear addict

If you haven't already, you'l need to replace all of the electrolytic caps, as they are slowly drying out, adding distortion, noise, loss, and eventually failing in much the same way. Best of luck.
Hans Ekman
15th January 2013
Old 15th January 2013
Gear interested

OK Jens, thanks
Best,
Hans
Topic:
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search