A Modified RME UFX: Is it worth the extra cost?
guitarlifter
30th December 2012
Old 30th December 2012
Gear interested

A Modified RME UFX: Is it worth the extra cost?

RME Fireface UFX Black Lion Audio Premium Mod 4260123362683 | eBay

See the link above to see what I'm talking about. Apparently it's a brand new RME UFX that's been modified to "sound better", yada yada yada. I have no idea whether or not this modification would make it sound better.

I'm looking for an interface, and I was led to one of the best on the market in the RME UFX, so I was checking ebay for the best price. If this thing didn't show up, I would've went right ahead and bought a used one, but, if a better version of what I wanted existed, I am open to spending a few extra bucks to get the better version.

What are everyone's thoughts on this modification to the RME UFX? Do you think it improves the sound? Does it justify the extra cost?

Thoughts?
30th December 2012
Old 30th December 2012
Gear addict

There is so, completely, in every way, nothing wrong with the stock unit. I would advise listening to one for a while to determine what it is not delivering before modifying it. Not necessarily because changing some caps and chips wont make a difference, but to gauge if you need to throw another $400 at the box. You may find it to just fine for your needs without the extra expense. Ive never had the impetus to open my UFX and that usually the first thing I do to anything I buy...
31st December 2012
Old 31st December 2012
Lives for gear
There was a long thread a while ago (last spring maybe) with comparison clips of stock and modded UFX units. The thread was later deleted due largely to one pesky slut who was later banned.

The results were mixed. Many people could not hear a difference. For those who did, I recall that more preferred the stock vs. the modded as the former sounded slightly "deeper" and "more full." This was my personal assessment as well. However, other folks whose ears I trust found the "deeper" and "more full" aspects of the stock model were essentially "mud" and therefor preferred the mod.

Bottom line, the differences were subtle but real; but there was no clear winner sound wise.

Quote:
Originally Posted by AwTAC View Post
There is so, completely, in every way, nothing wrong with the stock unit... Ive never had the impetus to open my UFX
These are my thoughts as well. The stock unit sounds great, and differences among good converters are always very subtle at best. I would not pay for the mod unless subsequent tests show a clear benefit.
guitarlifter
1st January 2013
Old 1st January 2013
Gear interested

Quote:
Originally Posted by neirbod View Post
There was a long thread a while ago (last spring maybe) with comparison clips of stock and modded UFX units. The thread was later deleted due largely to one pesky slut who was later banned.

The results were mixed. Many people could not hear a difference. For those who did, I recall that more preferred the stock vs. the modded as the former sounded slightly "deeper" and "more full." This was my personal assessment as well. However, other folks whose ears I trust found the "deeper" and "more full" aspects of the stock model were essentially "mud" and therefor preferred the mod.

Bottom line, the differences were subtle but real; but there was no clear winner sound wise.

These are my thoughts as well. The stock unit sounds great, and differences among good converters are always very subtle at best. I would not pay for the mod unless subsequent tests show a clear benefit.
Oh geez, I wish someone had saved the clips from that thread. I would've loved to have taken a listen. You wouldn't happen to know who had those clips or where I could find them by chance would you?

Regardless, you gave me some things to think about. Really, the difference in price is closer to 800 bucks since I'll buy used if I'm going stock but have to go new if it 's the modded version, not 400 bucks. If most preferred the stock version over the modded version, then that gives a lot to think about. Maybe I'll have to email the person/website that sells that particular modded version of the UFX to see if I can get some sound clips that way.

Thanks!
5th July 2013
Old 5th July 2013
Gear Head

Hi everyone,

I figured I'd revive this thread instead of starting a new one, is there anyone out there that can give your experience with the UFX as a stock unit and modded? I am VERY curious as to the sound difference BLA makes to the UFX. I currently have a Prism Orpheus but I need a better interface for home and the UFX seems pretty comparable to the Orpheus in terms of specs for the most part (not saying the UFX is as good as the Orpheus or anything) but I saw the Modded version for only an extra 300 dollars. Is that worth it? Has anyone bought a stock UFX and then had it modded by BLA? Please tell your experience if you have. THANKS!
5th July 2013
Old 5th July 2013
Gear addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by MikeSnoody View Post
Hi everyone,

I figured I'd revive this thread instead of starting a new one, is there anyone out there that can give your experience with the UFX as a stock unit and modded? I am VERY curious as to the sound difference BLA makes to the UFX. I currently have a Prism Orpheus but I need a better interface for home and the UFX seems pretty comparable to the Orpheus in terms of specs for the most part (not saying the UFX is as good as the Orpheus or anything) but I saw the Modded version for only an extra 300 dollars. Is that worth it? Has anyone bought a stock UFX and then had it modded by BLA? Please tell your experience if you have. THANKS!
I would be very suspicious of BLA type upgrades to what is already good gear. Unless there is blind controlled comparison evidence I would not part with my money.
6th July 2013
Old 6th July 2013
Lives for gear

Mods make things different,that could be better or worse.For instance,it might make it cleaner spec wise and then you might be looking for an old analog piece of gear to dirty it up.
My stock UFX sounds good to my ears and so does my MR816.
Sometimes i can't tell the difference anymore.
6th July 2013
Old 6th July 2013
Gear addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by cavern View Post
Mods make things different,that could be better or worse.
mods also leave things the same. i am suspicious of op amp swaps, which is what a lot of BLA mods are about, because op-amps for line level audio signals got as good as is necessary some time ago. there's no point in replacing something whose faults are undetectable with something whose faults are even more undetectable.

having said that, a cheap unit like the behringer ada8000 has poor op amps and other parts, so is eminently modable.
6th July 2013
Old 6th July 2013
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kesh View Post
mods also leave things the same. i am suspicious of op amp swaps, which is what a lot of BLA mods are about, because op-amp's for line level audio signals got as good as is necessary some time ago. there's no point in replacing something whose faults are undetectable with something whose faults are even more undetectable.

having said that, a cheap unit like the behringer ada800 has poor op amps and other parts, so is eminently modable.
Heretic!
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search