New Reply
Subscribe
boybianchi
10th December 2012
Old 10th December 2012
Gear maniac

Selling loops + construction kits

I am wondering.

Let's say, i sample my old JV-80 and sell the sounds. Nobody will want these cheesy sounds, but bear with me. This is kinda normal practice, since many parties use or emulate sounds that already exist. (Hollow Sun, NI, Wave Alchemy, etc etc etc)

On the other hand; let's say i use Fabfilter's Twin to produce some basslines, melodies and FX, and sell those too. I bet i'll be getting a call from FF very soon. Why? Technically, what's different in sampling a hardware synthesizer from sampling a software synthesizer? Considering that you actually paid money for these things.

Another compare:

I buy or borrow a good drum kit, mic it, record it, and sell the samples.
But i cannot make a song using NI's Abbey Road drums, make a construction kit, and sell it?

And:

I own several Thomas Penton and Vengeance one-shot-libs. If i take these one-shots and create my own loops and sell them, would that be okay?
10th December 2012
Old 10th December 2012
Lives for gear

My Recordings/Credits

Quote:
Originally Posted by boybianchi View Post
I am wondering.

Let's say, i sample my old JV-80 and sell the sounds. Nobody will want these cheesy sounds, but bear with me. This is kinda normal practice, since many parties use or emulate sounds that already exist. (Hollow Sun, NI, Wave Alchemy, etc etc etc)

On the other hand; let's say i use Fabfilter's Twin to produce some basslines, melodies and FX, and sell those too. I bet i'll be getting a call from FF very soon. Why? Technically, what's different in sampling a hardware synthesizer from sampling a software synthesizer? Considering that you actually paid money for these things.

Another compare:

I buy or borrow a good drum kit, mic it, record it, and sell the samples.
But i cannot make a song using NI's Abbey Road drums, make a construction kit, and sell it?

And:

I own several Thomas Penton and Vengeance one-shot-libs. If i take these one-shots and create my own loops and sell them, would that be okay?
Generally when you buy sample/loop libraries, it's stated that they may not be used in sample libraries and resold. Apart from that you're allowed to use them commercially.

Instagram: magnetic_sound
10th December 2012
Old 10th December 2012
3 + infractions, forum membership suspended.

sample the samples so that you can sell the samples and then be sued by other musicians for using their samples that they sampled to make their songs.
10th December 2012
Old 10th December 2012
Gear maniac

Then I am going to buy your "sample collection" and sample it and sample the samples so that you can sell the samples and then be sued by other musicians for using their samples that they sampled to make their songs.

In this case then buy my sample collection and.....
10th December 2012
Old 10th December 2012
Gear Guru

hey grandpa

yes, Jimmy?

who made the first record?

huh?

well everybody knows you make a record by sampling another record, but at some point somebody had to make the first record, right? Who made THAT record?

“What you ask about is music. What you like is sound. Now music and sound are akin, but they are not the same.”
— Confucius
New Reply Submit Thread to Facebook Facebook  Submit Thread to Twitter Twitter  Submit Thread to LinkedIn LinkedIn  Submit Thread to Google+ Google+ 

Topic:
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search