To rack or not to rack, that is the question: lexicon and dbx
New Reply
Subscribe
swicker
3rd December 2012
Old 3rd December 2012
Gear nut

To rack or not to rack, that is the question: lexicon and dbx

trying to decide if this stuff is worth putting in my rack and patchbay...

first off the lexicon mpx - 1

i have lots of waves reverbs and things, does the lexicon still hold up??? are those reverbs going to be better than waves stuff, does it still hold up, or is the waves stuff just way better than mpx these days???? the lexicon does have some cool other effects with it i guess i could utilize too, but waves has that same stuff...

worth racking or no???

second i have the 4 channel dbx 1046 compressors... i do have the waves stuff again, including their 1176 la2a patches... is the dbx still worth racking, ya know, outboard comps....

i do have other outboard compressors to use, but i have the space and i have more outboard pres than i do outboard compressors... so do i rack it, or just stick with whats in the box???

thoughts on each unit???
3rd December 2012
Old 3rd December 2012
Lives for gear

Id patch the lexicon in, and sell the DBX. That said, i have never liked DBX compressors.
3rd December 2012
Old 3rd December 2012
Taking Down your Network

Chiming in to agree with the above post. Sell the dbx.
That model line just never did anything for me. The earlier model 160s have mojo, but not the later makes. Anything made in the last few years by other firms at that price point is much better.
swicker
3rd December 2012
Old 3rd December 2012
Gear nut

I usually associate bdx compressors as very colored compressors .. N not in the good way really...
Nice to know, maybe ill do what u both suggest...

Do the reverbs still hold up then? Tone wise? To waves?
6th December 2012
Old 6th December 2012
Lives for gear

Well i make a point of patching in my MX400 and 200 before i'd reach for a waves verb. you might think differently?
6th December 2012
Old 6th December 2012
Lives for gear

The MPX-1 is a good sounding box. For me, the thing about hardware is that it is not as convenient as software. When I'm mixing in my DAW I find it faster to use plugins than to patch in and tweak hardware. I do use hardware but just compressors which have only a few knobs. I played around with creating custom midi panels in Cubase so that I had an on screen GUI to control my hardware Lexicon but in the end I just patched my MPX into my vocal monitor chain (I split my vocal mic input for zero latency monitoring during tracking) and I now only use the MPX when a singer wants a touch of verb in the headphones. It's kind of a shame to underutilize it that way but instant recall of plugins won the day with me and honestly when I'm tracking a singer and she wants a touch of verb in her cans it's nice to just turn a single knob to get it (i.e. in that case the hardware is faster than inserting a plugin).
10th January 2013
Old 10th January 2013
Gear nut

I like dbx compressors but the cheapest of their stuff is no better than any other bottom rung hardware. Keep the lexicon.

Sent from my PG86100
10th January 2013
Old 10th January 2013
Gear nut

I've also never really liked waves reverbs. Plugin reverb was still archaic last time they released one.

Sent from my PG86100
swicker
10th January 2013
Old 10th January 2013
Gear nut

Anyone try those lexicon reverb plugins thru ua? I think they r a ua plugin , I could b wrong
New Reply Submit Thread to Facebook Facebook  Submit Thread to Twitter Twitter  Submit Thread to LinkedIn LinkedIn  Submit Thread to Google+ Google+ 

Topic:
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search