MXL 910 Voice/Instrument Condenser Microphone
Old 20th November 2012
Gear interested

MXL 910 Voice/Instrument Condenser Microphone

I just ordered an MXL 910 Voice/Instrument Condenser Microphone for $50 from Musicians Friend. It was their "Stupid Deal of the Day". Down from $199.

Has anyone used it or can tell me if it was a wise purchase? It will be used for standard home studio recordings and the occasional guest vocal track on major Death Metal releases.

MXL 910 Voice/Instrument Condenser Microphone | Musician's Friend
Old 20th November 2012
Gear interested

I have the same question as well. Anyone buy this before? It's not on the MXL website...

Last edited by AUSTOOO; 20th November 2012 at 10:44 AM.. Reason: Realized thread is fairly new and not old
Old 20th November 2012
Gear addict
Quote:
Originally Posted by AUSTOOO View Post
I have the same question as well. Anyone buy this before? It's not on the MXL website...
Thinking about snagging one also! Does anyone know ANYTHING about this bad boy?
Old 20th November 2012
Gear addict
Got impatient and nervous it would sell out, so I ordered it. Guess we'll see how this goes... haha
Old 20th November 2012
Gear interested

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mikeeyb View Post
Got impatient and nervous it would sell out, so I ordered it. Guess we'll see how this goes... haha
Just did the same!
Old 20th November 2012
Gear addict
Quote:
Just did the same!
LOL you slut .

I couldn't help myself either.

How is there literally NO information on this microphone on the entire internet?

For 50 bucks i didn't really have a choice
Old 20th November 2012
Gear interested

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mikeeyb View Post
LOL you slut .

I couldn't help myself either.

How is there literally NO information on this microphone on the entire internet?

For 50 bucks i didn't really have a choice
Funny how a random MSRP and some stupid sale instantly makes us whip out our wallets without exactly knowing what we're getting ourselves into... That MSRP could be just a random number to make it look like a good deal.

All we can do is pray that its worth it!

Old 20th November 2012
Gear interested

Quote:
Funny how a random MSRP and some stupid sale instantly makes us whip out our wallets without exactly knowing what we're getting ourselves into... That MSRP could be just a random number to make it look like a good deal.
Yeah. I'm pretty sure this is a MF/GC/M123 "exclusive," so they can give it whatever fake MSRP they want, just like they do with their atrocious, pure-garbage house brand stuff like "GEAR ONE" [yuk!]. Also explains why there's nothing on it online.

I'm also betting this is pretty much like numerous other generic MXLs once you look inside. The "medium diaphragm" part makes me think MXL990 tarted-up in a new dress.

Still, $50 [shrug].
Old 20th November 2012
Gear interested

Did the same, I check it every morning and have found some killer stuff, but I bought the mic with no info on it, haha, guess their theory works.
Old 20th November 2012
Gear interested

I jumped on the MXL V250 when it was the Stupid Deal O' The Day and wasn't all that happy with it, so I'm hesitant with this one. The V250 sounds boxy and midrange-heavy, not great for vocals especially compared to the V67. Both have fairly high internal noise floors, typical for the lower-end Chinese condensers. If indeed this is a tarted-up 990, I'm happy to pass and save my $50 for a used AT2020 or 2035...
Old 20th November 2012
Gear interested
Gonna pass....

Reading this in the description, I think I'm going to have to pass...

Its response is remarkably smooth and consistent from 50 Hz through 1 KhZ, with a slight rise between those two points. There is a significant presence peak between 5K and 10K with a drop-off after 10K.
Old 20th November 2012
Gear interested

I bought it, couldn't pass up a deal...If I hate it merry Christmas to someone else...
G
Old 20th November 2012
Gear addict
Even being an exclusive item, it is still weird no info comes up for it, even on MXL's website.

Is this a newer product maybe?
Old 20th November 2012
Gear nut

FYI:
Michael Joly just picked up a bunch of these this morning and will be modifying them pretty soon. (according to his FB feed)
Old 20th November 2012
Gear interested

Old 20th November 2012
Lives for gear

Attached Thumbnails
MXL 910 Voice/Instrument Condenser Microphone-sp1.jpg  
Old 20th November 2012
Gear interested

Bought one too. My theory on the whole "no info on it" thing is that it's a new mic and this is more or less a way to get the word out on it. Even if it sucks, the MSRP will make it easy to get more than your $50 at your local music store.
Old 20th November 2012
Gear Head

Guitarcenter is selling it for $199. Not a bad deal though for only $50.
Old 20th November 2012
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by cvnc12 View Post
Guitarcenter is selling it for $199. Not a bad deal though for only $50.
...you're falling for the marketing jive (GC and MF are the same company...exclusively repackaged product that only they can sell...they manipulate the price accordingly)...the chance of that mic being worth $199 is zero!...it's worth $50...better to go with a proven performer...see: MCA SP1 (above)

...more info here: http://recordinghacks.com/microphones/MCA/SP1
Old 20th November 2012
Lives for gear

From Michael Joly's FB feed today...

Quote:
This is the same basic 22mm diameter small diaphragm capsule mic as the MXL 990, 770, v250 and MCA SP1.

MXL...create these differentiated products so quickly by using standardized components (same 22mm SDC capsule, same PC board and or circuit, same bodies) then launch the "new" mic with different paint jobs and model numbers.
Old 20th November 2012
Gear nut

I'm wondering what it looks like on the inside, if it would be a suitable donor for a FET u47 build.
Old 20th November 2012
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by kevinkace View Post
I'm wondering what it looks like on the inside, if it would be a suitable donor for a FET u47 build
...why risk it?...based on Jim Williams detailed recommendations, the $49 MCA SP1 is a great candidate for the K47 FET mod!
Attached Thumbnails
MXL 910 Voice/Instrument Condenser Microphone-sp1-pcb.jpg  
Old 20th November 2012
Gear interested

Mxl 910

I have been using the MXL 990 electret for years and have been very happy with the mic for the money. Have also had microphones costing well over $250
that have not performed as well as the 990.

However I can't seem to locate a review on the MXL 910 anecdotal or professional.
The description:
" Its response is remarkably smooth and consistent from 50 Hz through 1 KhZ, with a slight rise between those two points. There is a significant presence peak between 5K and 10K with a drop-off after 10K."

It might make a good 'communications mic"??
What is a medium in contrast to large diaphragm pickup? Sound pressure significantly different?

What I have noticed over the last year or so has been a very dramatic increase in all live audio pricing at MF and really nuts on MXL! The 990 USB was around 100. Now 129 on sale That is 30 percent increase
Sale price on the MXL 990 alone now at 69, sale had always been around 49, I picked mine up at 39. The "cube" was around 49-59. now "sale priced" at 99

I guess everything eventually does go up in price; up in value?? Hmmm I wonder.
I see too the ubiquitous SM 57 from Shure us $99 AFTER REBATE. What rebate? It goes into the cart for 99.
Sorry to see MF playing such marketing games though. They had always been top notch in my book. Time for that book review??
I have been out of the audio and music game for over 2 years now and I guess even MF is scrambling to stay alive at any cost.

The thing that would stop me in my tracks with this mic MXL 910 right now is the fact that I can not locate it anywhere on the MXL web site.

mxlmics dot com

Roll the dice and see... but not for me!
Ron
Old 20th November 2012
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by CreativeIllusion View Post
I have been using the MXL 990 electret for years
...the 990 ia an externally polarized condenser microphone, not an electret...

Quote:
The thing that would stop me in my tracks with this mic MXL 910 right now is the fact that I can not locate it anywhere on the MXL web site.
...in case you haven't noticed, the entire MXL "900 Series" are proprietary versions of their product produced for exclusive distribution thru the massive Guitar Center/Musiciansfriend/Woodwind and Brasswind/Music 123 network of retailers...the 910 is just another addition to that selection...if you already haven't gotten a 910, you've probably already have a 910 in a slightly different configuration...

Quote:
What is a medium in contrast to large diaphragm pickup?
...exactly what is in your 990...(a roughly 16.75mm capsule as opposed to the average 25-28mm large diaphragm capsules found in most LDC mics)...
Attached Thumbnails
MXL 910 Voice/Instrument Condenser Microphone-mxl990-circuit.jpg  
Old 20th November 2012
Gear interested

Im gonna be really upset...

if this isn't on the site for 200 dollars tomorrow.
Old 21st November 2012
Gear interested

Quote:

All we can do is pray that its worth it!

The way I see it, $50 is nothing. Most of us spend more than that on drinks on a typical night out. It was a no brainer
Old 21st November 2012
Gear interested

Quote:
Originally Posted by ill mindset View Post
The way I see it, $50 is nothing. Most of us spend more than that on drinks on a typical night out. It was a no brainer
that's what I thought, I had to ordered it! LOL
Old 21st November 2012
Gear Head

Bain Caital owns GC/MF/123 so that's the deal breaker

Quote:
What I have noticed over the last year or so has been a very dramatic increase in all live audio pricing at MF and really nuts on MXL! The 990 USB was around 100. Now 129 on sale That is 30 percent increase
Sale price on the MXL 990 alone now at 69, sale had always been around 49, I picked mine up at 39. The "cube" was around 49-59. now "sale priced" at 99
Oddly the timing of this correlates to when Bain Capital .... yhea you read that right BAIN CAPITAL came in and took the place over. Notice how the employees that you use to know have all but vanished?

I just found this out a week or so ago. This is about the same time that the used gear on "police hold" went from 10% down to 100% down which has now reverted back as that didn't fly well.

Knowing that BAIN is involved pretty much makes it a no brainer... it's a 50 dollar mic tops and MSRP has nothing to do with anything. If we're all lucky it's a viable fet Jim Williams mod or whatever Joly plans to do with it.

I may just refuse the shipment and send it back and use the money for a new tranny for my APHEX 205. I too was caught in the fire of not wanting to miss out on the "deal" if it really was one. Last mic I picked up on one of these "stupid sales" was the MXL Guitar Cube. I believe that was worth the money. Every have one in your hand? It'd make one heck of a weapon as its by far the heaviest mic I've had my hands on!!

The chart for this mic shows it's gonna be a runaway shrill mic. MIGHT be good for a kick mic. It'll catch the snap of the beater. Unfortunately we're all gonna find out at the same time; what the performance is like. Those getting it last will be the luckiest ones and able to refuse shipment with some knowledgeable reason and not lose a dime. The rest will have to pay 15 bucks to mail it back.

I'm applying for my RMA now just in case its really not worth the trouble. Obviously there's hope for it or Mike Joly wouldn't have bought a bunch. I already have enough MXL mics that still need modded. I don't need another one to add to the pile. Part of the Bain Game we're all playing.

Rich

Last edited by psycom; 21st November 2012 at 10:35 AM.. Reason: Public schooling
Old 21st November 2012
Lives for gear

Old 22nd November 2012
Gear interested

yeah its a 50 dollar mic.. its still on the site for 50 bucks.
New Reply Submit Thread to Facebook Facebook  Submit Thread to Twitter Twitter  Submit Thread to LinkedIn LinkedIn  Submit Thread to Google+ Google+ 

Topic:
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search