U87 VS SM7b For Singing
Electrocaseal
20th November 2012
Old 20th November 2012
3 + infractions, forum membership suspended.

U87 VS SM7b For Singing

Inb4 SM7b > U87 all day every day
20th November 2012
Old 20th November 2012
Banned

My Recordings/Credits

Depends on the singer and the genre of music.
Electrocaseal
20th November 2012
Old 20th November 2012

sm57 = sm7b all day every day
20th November 2012
Old 20th November 2012
Lives for gear

When I set up a vocal session, I am most likely to put up a U87ai, an SM7b, and an AEA R84. Then, based on the singer, the song, and the mix role, I make selections and then switch up mikes for doubles or harmony parts.

The U87 and the SM7 aren't the same mic. Use them as part of a palette. If you're just starting and are on a budget, get the SM7 and another condenser (and a budget ribbon). Between those three mic styles and tones, you'll be able to cover a great deal.
20th November 2012
Old 20th November 2012
Gear maniac

i just purchased an sm7b, still waiting for my isa one to come in the mail... tried the sm7 with just my interface and of course i rain into the gain issue... it still sounded fairly clean otherwise... but i wouldnt say u87 clear... but i cant officially say until that pre gets here
Electrocaseal
20th November 2012
Old 20th November 2012

Quote:
Originally Posted by JoonJukx View Post
i just purchased an sm7b, still waiting for my isa one to come in the mail... tried the sm7 with just my interface and of course i rain into the gain issue... it still sounded fairly clean otherwise... but i wouldnt say u87 clear... but i cant officially say until that pre gets here
sm7b is definitely no condenser thats for sure. my at4040 sounds better than it most the time besides the mouth noise and sibilience. its actually quite sad that its one of the best dynamics. its not that natural or open sounding and the fethead doesnt make it sound better maybe even a little worse from my small tests with it.
20th November 2012
Old 20th November 2012
Gear maniac

Quote:
Originally Posted by Electrocaseal View Post
sm7b is definitely no condenser thats for sure. my at4040 sounds better than it most the time besides the mouth noise and sibilience. its actually quite sad that its one of the best dynamics. its not that natural or open sounding and the fethead doesnt make it sound better maybe even a little worse from my small tests with it.
still havent tried with a proper pre but yeh i can see what you mean about it not sounding "open". its definitelly good for an untreated room... but seems to remove alot of the "richness" from the vox
20th November 2012
Old 20th November 2012
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by rocksure View Post
Pretty much Every thread started Electrocaseal and Dreamcaseal are related to sm7 love with a corresponding be-littling of all other mics. Unless they are identical twins that were tied together by an umbilical mic cable at birth, then I suspect they are one and the same person, and more interested in trolling than contributing to serious and helpful Gearslutz threads.
Electrocaseal and Dreamcaseal are the same troll. This has been confirmed.

Don't feed the troll.
20th November 2012
Old 20th November 2012
Gear addict

You're all MAD! MAD MAD MAD

Besides, an old gold 409 sounds better than all other mics
Topic:
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search