New Reply
Subscribe
StereoSpace
20th November 2012
Old 20th November 2012
Gear Head

Neve 8816+8804 Troubles..

Hey all.
First time poster, Long time reader of these forums.
despite the crazy in you all, there is some very clever and clued up folk around these parts... and now I wish to bend some minds on a few technical issues I have.

Introduction out the way.. here goes.

I just got a Neve 8816 plus the 8804 Fader pack. -got them 2nd hand, so price was too good to miss up on, however, Im not the most technical guy on the planet and ive been kindda stressing all day about this. so now im bug eyed, and pleading for help!.

My problem, is I understand about analog summing in general concept. - but my limited experience in setting up things is a little cold here.

This is how its setup currently. (this is without all my other outboard gear for the moment)

Im running from my Computer into a SSL MX Converter. - D-SUB Outputs 1-16 back into the Neve Inputs. - The the master output from the Neve into a D-Sub to female XLR's into Male XLR's going back into the SSL..(using channel 1+2)

Firstly, My monitors.. are plugged into the back of the Neve Main mix out L/R - but to my limited understanding, Im now monitoring before the D/A conversion?

Secondly. My whole idea to this summing mixer was to increase headroom..

So for example, In my DAW, this case Pro tools. - I have my mix setup, example :-

Drums, output Chan 1+2
Bass Chan 3
Vox Chan 4
BV, 5+6
Guitars 7+8
Keys 9+10
FX 11+12
Leaving a couple free for other bits.

This works great, I can then use the faders to control the mix locally..

However this is where I really get lost.. - Before I had this, I used to run a Submix buss at the end of my mix window, that had a few compressors in it (Plugins not hardware) - this capped the peaks, and offered me gentle compression, as most of us do.

Now im running everything on individual outputs I can no longer do this.. right?

Then If I want to print my track.. I setup : -

I setup a Aux + Audio track. - The Aux track has plugins on (my old submix track) - the input is the channel 1+2 going into the SSL, - and the output is sending to my Print bus aux, then routed to the audio tracks input, with that output set to 2 channels on the Faders, in this case 15/16

But if I do it like this, listen to the mix normal, all is good (albeit without master buss effects) - but if I solo just the print buss, then a) its very very quiet, and very very flat, - its all pre-fader so moving faders is pointless. - and doesn't sound like anything I just mixed using the direct out approach (see above)

So, naturally im a little confused, and Im happy for it to be user error here, but just need a bit of technical awareness of what Im doing wrong here, as I wish to learn so I can be confident going into future mixes.

Sorry its a long post..
SS
StereoSpace
20th November 2012
Old 20th November 2012
Gear Head

Bump... anyone who has a Neve please chime in?
30th November 2012
Old 30th November 2012
Gear maniac

Hey man, thats pretty close.

First off, you should plug your monitors into the "main monitor outs" which are channels 5&6 on the "balanced main outputs" dsub connector. NOT the Main mix L and R trs on the back of the unit.

Heres a link to the manual, the connections can be confusing

http://ams-neve.com/sites/amsneve/fi...anualiss65.pdf

Here's how i would set it up

channels 1-14 out of SSL into the Neve
Main Mix output of Neve(dsubXLR M Channel 7&8) into 1-2 on the SSL
SSL 15-16 ouput to the 2 Track Return input on the Balanced Main Inputs dsub connector 4&3(this lets you monitor what you're printing post)

create ST aux track in PT(or whatev) with 1-2 as inputs and bus19-20 as outs
create ST Audio track in PT with bus 19-20 as input and 15-16 SSL as output

To hear the 2 track rtrn, click the monitor control knob over to 2tr. blamo.

...if you have outboard gear, i'd suggest using the inserts over the 2bus on the neve so that you're hitting the comp pre conversion...

Also remember that the neve dsubs on the main ins and outs are backwards, meaning channel 8 on the dsub is actually L and 7 is Right.

hope this helps
New Reply Submit Thread to Facebook Facebook  Submit Thread to Twitter Twitter  Submit Thread to LinkedIn LinkedIn  Submit Thread to Google+ Google+ 

Topic:
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search